Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Against the Necrons
Old 31 Aug 2008, 02:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default Against the Necrons

Hey guys, I'm having problems with the Necrons.

While they are known to be a hell of a hard match against the Tau, I haven't seen any tactica or advice threads to deal with them.

So, in that case, I ask: Anyone have any advice?
Old 31 Aug 2008, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Against the Necrons

dont be afraid to go for the warrior kills. Even human auxiliaries can chase down necrons on a good roll. Shoot down lords or monoliths when able, you do that you make the rez harder to keep.

Otherwise like marines, pound them with hell fire. Then scorch the ashes.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
dont be afraid to go for the warrior kills. Even human auxiliaries can chase down necrons on a good roll. Shoot down lords or monoliths when able, you do that you make the rez harder to keep.

Otherwise like marines, pound them with hell fire. Then scorch the ashes.

to bad the ashes still have a 50 % of getting up =p

my tips : focus fire on warriors ...he will phase out
c'tan will only die from 5-8 rail gun shots ... do you really want to waste that many ?
Matt0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0690
c'tan will only die from 5-8 rail gun shots ... do you really want to waste that many ?
You know, it's funny. I used 2 Broadsides to give the C'tan 2 wounds, and then was able to markerlight the Nightbringer with 3 hits. To finish it off, I rapid fired a squad of warriors that hit on a 2+. That did the job ^_^
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would advise to spend up on seeker missiles and waste all his destroyers in first turn with them, then use the remaining ones to start picking on his warriors, he can't use WBB if you wipe out whole squads at a time, so just focus on one part each turn.

Veil of Darkness is his only real trump card he can pull on you, but at most you will loose one unit to it before you can rapid fire him and end the threat, esp now he can't consolidate into a fresh combat.

The necrons are the only force that tau come up against where static gunline is best approach.
Animist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Tau_devil Send a message via Yahoo to Tau_devil

Actually, he can WBB if there is a model of the same type within 6".

If you play objective based games, try to hit his warriors while hiding your troops.

Railguns are always for monoliths.
Fire warriors, try to hit wraith, immortals, flayed ones and warriors.
Pathfinders, best used to guide seeker missiles to destroyers and tomb spyders.
Kroot want to get in cc against every thing except, C'tan and pariahs. They have better I then most necron units.

Suits should go for the best target for their loadout, if in doubt, just hit the warriors. Also try to keep your suits away from wraith, their str, ws, I and attacks cause all sorts of trouble for your suits.

Try to always keep terrain between his destroyers and your 4+ save stuff and kroot, they will just be target practice otherwise.

Ethereal need to be hidden and screened from assaults, as they always should be. If you can give them a honour guard.

Phase out can be one of the hardest things to get against a necron list. T, save and WBB mean they are hard to kill and they can came back. If there isn't a lord near a unit, try to hit the unit with Instant Death and low AP weapons. If there is a lord nearby, then try to maximise shots, the lord will be then likely have a res orb and you'll be just wasting high str and low AP weapons when pulse weapons will be the better option. They are like all Meq armies, Low AP can be good. But so can lots of armour save causing hits.

With the changes to LoS and consolidate, it should be a bit easier to get him.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 01:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Two, no wait three words, shock and awe. Get first turn, deploy pathfinders in cover, markerlight/railgun/missile pod/SMS his destroyers with everything that can avoid most line of sight. Battle suits jumb back, the pathfinders are in cover and the hammerhead(s) have modest armour value of 13. Then second turn speed forward with your mounted firewarriors and drop submunitions on his warriors heads/hit his monlith. Third turn disembark if not already done so and rapid fire his face off.

This tactic takes nerves of steel to play, but can be very rewarding hen done right. I've fazed out necrons by 3 turn in tournaments before, and it's fun to look across the table as he totals up that 75 percent of his guys are dead.

Don't forget that necrons DO NOT recieve WWB if there is NOT another friendly model of the same type within 6". When firing wipe out entire squads at a time. This is the Tau's strenght, consentrated firepower to overwhelme a target, use it to maximum advantage and victory will be yours.

I hope this helps,
Typhon, lord of the zombie plague
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote