Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nightfight is for Tau...
Old 30 Aug 2008, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Nightfight is for Tau...

So I played a game recently where I was able to force a draw against one of the best 40K players in my local GW. I've only ever been beaten badly by this huy so it was very exciting for me.

In any case a large part of the victory was due to some good luck on my part and a big surprise I had in the works.

Basically I had 2 hammerheads with SMS and 3 Warfish. I also had several crisis suits with twin linked weapons and blacksun filters. It was a devestating first round of shooting that he did not expect. He was completely surprised. It's fun to exploit peoples general ignorance of tau abilities besides railguns. Take advantage of this. I'm on my phone now I'll type in more detail when I'm at a computer.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 02:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Nightfight is for Tau...

Too bad it only lasts for one turn... Imagine if the entire game was fought in the dark. >

It's a hard toss-up for me though. I love what the flamers on my deathrains and burning eyes do for me a lot. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

This is entirely true. However if your opponent doesn't expect it then you can offset their entire strategy with 1 round of well directed shooting. It's extremely helpfull. I've done it before but not on such a large scale. It works great.

The first time I did it was more of an accidental discovery. The next time I did it I really wanted to be able to use it in a massive barrage of firepower. 20 Strength 5 shots, 3 Large blast templates, 12 strength 7 shots (6 of which are twinlinked) and 3 strength 6 AP2 shots are pretty brutal in the first turn if your opponent cant shoot back.

This was how my 2000 point list was configured and my ability to brutalize his closest units in night fight completely broke his strategy for the game.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 05:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well done. So the Blacksun filter has a good use after all :P. This is a very important tactical strategy to came across. Kudos.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 07:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Awesome stuff, certainly see the deathrains and fireknives hard at work there... 8)

Now how did you get 20 S5 shots in? Can't be the firewarriors...

I'm considering HWBSF for many of my leading suits now, and maybe I'll drop the flamers for BSF. Its plenty of MEQ killing power on the first turn, and can whittle down a horde with the extra round of shooting. Might be worth it.

Quote:
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 31 Aug 2008, 12:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

The 20 strength 5 shots came from the SMS. I had two hammerheads and 3 warfish. SMS Ignores night fight and line of sight. Another great thing about it is the fact that it ignores cover unless you're in it or touching it. So for low armor save units that are within range you could wipe out a lot of models with no recourse. The SMS in my opinion is pretty much one of the best weapons in the game when used en masse.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 12:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
The 20 strength 5 shots came from the SMS. I had two hammerheads and 3 warfish. SMS Ignores night fight and line of sight. Another great thing about it is the fact that it ignores cover unless you're in it or touching it. So for low armor save units that are within range you could wipe out a lot of models with no recourse. The SMS in my opinion is pretty much one of the best weapons in the game when used en masse.
Well, that's a pretty disputed topic really, see h- oh, ok, I can't find it... :P
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 14:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

something else that's brilliant... firing markerlights using blacksun filters... one of the uses of markerlights is to ignore night fight. its a great demoralising factor :P infiltrate stealth suits with H/w black sun and markerlight and possibly marker drones if you use with the team. aim it something worth while for one of your long ranged units. for instance that land raider crusader contain his CC nasty squad he positioned very confidently knowing first round was night fight and that nothing can hit it... AND DESTROY IT!!!!

basically because very few tau players use blacksuns very few opponents know what they do... and they are especially good on the suits due to acute senses.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 16:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Among the newer revisions I've made was to give my Skyray a set of these goggles. Move 12", fire the SMS AND the 2 BS4 markerlights at two targets, allowing 2 whole units to take a crack at the marked sods.

FWs firing in the night? 3 TL railguns destroying an AV14 sitting duck? Boy that's really gonna be a shocker. Just like the Codex mention. >

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 31 Aug 2008, 17:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

of course something you CANT do is daisy chain the effects of markerlights and blacksun filters, to fire another markerlight without any restrictions.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote