Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cover Tactics from 5th Ed for the Tau
Old 28 Aug 2008, 23:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Cover Tactics from 5th Ed for the Tau

Who has been working on a 5th ed tactica???

I have looked around the net and have not found anything. I still think it is still to early for a solid tactica so let me know what "You" (guys and gals) have been using.

5th Ed is looking like a shooting Edition for the Tau. I find my FWs 30"s and 5 STR looking very good.

MY 1750 List examples.
I have been using my kroot as cover screens.

I have a 12 Tau no transport as my Center and use a 13 Kroot and 2 Kroot hounds as a CC screen on my weak side. It seems to work but I think I will be cutting the kroot force half in order to make two units so I can sandwhich my Center Tau in the middle keeping them from being flanked in a Dawn of War game.

I have two Mounted units of Tau now in regular Fish and I use the drones to screen any possilbe CC attacks on any friendly ground units. I can also use my skimmer for cover on my troops.

I also have another set of 5 drones to bulk up either of the two sets of drones.

Transports are not dead, as a matter of fact Transports seem to be looking good.

I think there will be armies/tactics that will be about throwing loaded skimmers FLATOUT to the other side of the board to your opponents weakside to wreak havoc and take objectives.

WT

I have not played enough games to try everything but I know some of you have so please share.

Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Cover Tactics from 5th Ed for the Tau

I written a few mini-tacticas since 5th edition. Here's an early one on vehicle loadouts: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=67122.0 It's accurate except for the fact that I was working with a pre-release rulebook that stated the disruption pod provided a 5+ cover save, not the 4+.

Here's another one about outflanking a devilfish with seeker missiles: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=68371.0

And after far more effort than should have been required, here is the big one that I was looking for! http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=69422.0 It actually covers all the information in number 2 as well as a couple more tricks.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

ah, finally someone posted this. 5th edition is going to be very good for Tau. suddenly all those closed off fire lanes just opened up. My broadsides rejoice! I've played a few games with my Tau vs my friends BA (using my BA army), and vs my friends tyranids. Both were at a disgusting 2000 points. Let me say one thing. Every tau unit is now REALLY GOOD! Basically I put as much of my firewarriors and broadsides in cover as humanly possible. next I lowered my guns and started pumping out markerlight and rifle fire at anything that advanced. The BA player hid his tanks in cover and they became immobilized. Making for easy pickings. Deep striking assault marines are a joke (this hurts to say since he was using my army and I utterly crushed it.... ). For those who got too close I would move one squad backwards through my ranks, but keep firing when possible while the rest obliterated them without one single marine breaking through into CCombat.

The tyranid game went about the same. Hive tyrant killed on the first round, then carnifex the next. And when those hormaguants came close, they were rifled and the 9 broadsides fired off their missles and 9 railgun shots. out of 2000 points only 2! hormaguants broke through into CCombat and were torn to pieces by our wimpy firewarriors!

Strategy? Hold your ground and move the stealth and crisis suits to where they are needed.

I am Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2008, 16:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I haven't played 5th Ed yet, but I'm thinking:

- Commander with positional relay, and other weapons (not sure what yet)
- Firestorm/Fireknife/Bladestorm battlesuits to help out mobile FWs against main enemy infantry.
- A DS-ing Monat to mess with artillery/static tanks.
- a couple FOF squads for taking objectives and holding them.
- Ethereal w/ Honour Guard and Kroot - These guy are going to hold the home objective/play as bait on the home objective. BS4 Pulse Rifles will help the Kroot at range, and Kroot will help the FWs in CC.
- Pathfinders for good measure.

Playing defensively for the first half of the game or so, weakening him with some ambushes on his ant-Tau units, then claiming objectives in the last half.

Now, my main question is this: Now that Fish of Fury has been nerfed so well, and we're as crap as always in CC (and fearing drop pods and other fast-moving goodies like jetbikes), what's the new game plan for Fire Warriors?
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 02:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottheAverageJoe
I haven't played 5th Ed yet, but I'm thinking:

- Commander with positional relay, and other weapons (not sure what yet)
- Firestorm/Fireknife/Bladestorm battlesuits to help out mobile FWs against main enemy infantry.
- A DS-ing Monat to mess with artillery/static tanks.
- a couple FOF squads for taking objectives and holding them.
- Ethereal w/ Honour Guard and Kroot - These guy are going to hold the home objective/play as bait on the home objective. BS4 Pulse Rifles will help the Kroot at range, and Kroot will help the FWs in CC.
- Pathfinders for good measure.

Playing defensively for the first half of the game or so, weakening him with some ambushes on his ant-Tau units, then claiming objectives in the last half.

Now, my main question is this: Now that Fish of Fury has been nerfed so well, and we're as crap as always in CC (and fearing drop pods and other fast-moving goodies like jetbikes), what's the new game plan for Fire Warriors?
FW are still very good in transports and now on foot are better than before. Now you have 30" range with very little that they can't see. Add a Marker light or two and that unit begins to get dangerous.

My old list used 2 full mounted Warfish that did most of my damage, plus one Static 12 Tau unit. That Static unit was used to hold a table quater but was never part of my main force, it was mostly a decoy unit that usually got left behind was a bait unit.

Now, with 5th ed. the 12 static Tau in now my main anchor force with my Kroot protecting it's weak flank. The RUN option has now made this unit more mobile.

This NEW game has a lot more shooting now, the bad thing is most armies now really want to get in close and the Tau don't really have a CC unit that can do alot. Kroot used to be good but now with the updated grenades, they lost that advantage.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 00:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I mean the grenades thing is really annoying. It is really bad for tau. Kroot got a whole lot worse form it. I mean it helps slaanesh armies a ton. Really helps marines.
Thing is the honor guard are an HQ unit not troops so they are not scoring.
Thing is now transports with fire warriors are now scoring though. You can move the devilfish over the objective and more than six inches to avoid being hit in close combat only on 6s.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry for the huge post, but 5th has given my Tau new reasons to be played

A few things that surprised me in fifth was the durability of the lowly devilfish (with D-Pods). I don't really deck mine into warfish, they just have D-Pod and SMS, but my enemies despise them. I get to a distant objective and ask them a question, would you like to shoot your heavy weapons at my troop transport that has a 4+ save that on an objective or shoot that hammerhead thats about to blow your heavy support away (oh and that hammerhead, yea its got that save too)? They get really frustrated!

Also, true that positional relay came in handy (same game), as I engineered a few deathrains to combat transports to ensure my supremacy on objectives. Turn two they jumped down from the sky, target locks allowed 2 of them to pop one Rhino, and the team leader popped the other. Transports are key now, the one rhino I didn't get did get to his objective, and no amount of firepower is going to get rid of a rhino and the 10 man tac squad (who deploy in their own wreck for cover :-\)

Safe to say that the game went ridiculously well (I held 2 objectives, he held (barely) one). Once a fish decides it wants an objective, its hard for the enemy to reasonably deal with it. In that entire game he managed to kill the hammerhead (land raider got it) and immobilize one devilfish (devastator squad, which I somehow tied up in combat for the last two turns with pathfinders? Desperate times...).

Although I have not used them much, I played against a kroot heavy army, and they are kinda scary imo. they infiltrated basically right next to me, and were within rapid fire of an objective. I could SHOOT them but their cover save is ridiculous, when I DID charge them (I was Blood Angels, I charge everything. Maybe it has something to do with having Tau as my first army...) the kroot hounds took out a couple marines before they could even praise the emperor. Bear in mind this was a HUGE squad of kroot, one I hope to have complete very soon to use on others!
Old 03 Sep 2008, 19:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What I like about the kroot is their outflank. A small amount of points will give you a pretty disgusting amount of bolter-equivalent rapid fire on the turn they come in, and unlike fire warriors they have a chance of surviving the counter-assault if you don't kill everything. Mine never do, of course, but that's my dice rolls more than anything else. If your opponent is careless enough to put an artillery or heavy-weapons squad too close to the side of the board kroot can wipe out or at least tie up that unit. Stealth suits are even nastier outflankers in 5th with their 24 inch threat range, and the positional relay is great for getting them in when you want them.

Sadly, assault is even worse for tau troops in 5th than it was in 4th. Fire warriors haven't changed because they couldn't get much worse, but kroot in cover are no longer guaranteed to swing. Also, with the new rules for who won combat and kroot's abysmal leadership they usually get wiped out too. At least the fire warriors next to them can rapid-fire the victors into chunky salsa in the next turn.

I haven't seen this played out, but it's possible that the new assault rules will actually help suits, particularly the ones with 2+ armor saves. Assume a large squad of orcs assaulted a full-size broadside squad, 2 orcs die, but no suits do. In 4th edition, the suits would have lost combat, been outnumbered 2:1 or worse, likely failed the leadership test, ran away, and been cut down. In 5th, the suits would have WON combat, making the orcs take the leadership test or extra armor saves. The suits would still be unable to fire for the next round or two, but at least they wouldn't be destroyed, and the squad attacking them couldn't tie up another unit. They will be safe from lascannon fire until the combat ends, and they might survive to finish off something important in the 4th or 5th turn.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 00:34   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Considering that most ork non-vehicle units have powerfists i doubt that scenario would ever occur, but I can see that as being a nice desperate measures tactic, knock down a mobs' size to about 9-0 with your burst cannons and some supporting fire from a fire warrior squad and then charge into combat out of pfist range. You'll kill 2 or 3 orks and make them break. But really this should only be a rarely used tactic since kroot are much better for this role.
SilentRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 01:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Once again, it depends on the list and playstyle. With a Farsight Enclave army, I have no Kroot; but I got full Burning Eye squads with flamers and Farsight's "termie" squad which does just as well...

...with focused fire to soften targets of course. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote