Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

i don't normally do this- rumor about farsight
Old 28 Aug 2008, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default i don't normally do this- rumor about farsight

So- the store i frequent gets a lot of managorial traffic and black shirt guys- and during a conversation with them about upcoming 'stuff' they mentioned they had seen a new O'shova green.

Now- like everyone i don't trust GW staff as far as i can throw them- and most of them are a hefty lot. But it was just a simple observation that he had, indeed, seen a new sculpt for the commander we know as Farsight. For all of you who are going to jump down my throat, greens are always just a possibility, something a sculptor was just kicking around and playing for fun- so no guarantees.

But- the interesting bit was this: O'shova has a daemon sword- but it has no effect on him since he is a Tau. Instead the blade is just telling him to consistently engage the enemy- like someone yelling at you- you don't have to do what it says but you can listen. This is supposed to tie into the idea that O'shova is in a big battle against a growing Ork Waagh- but that he has bit off more than he can chew, perhaps because he listened to the sword or he's just hateful of orks. But it is also supposed to expand his fluff- and explain that he hasn't broken away from the Empire- he's just battling across the border of the gulf.

Anyway- interesting stuff if it's true- and here's my question: What will this mean for a possible new Tau faction- eh? When the new codex comes in the next decade- what might it hold if this could be true? (All i'm saying is that i'm glad we're not gonna see chaos tau)
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: i don't normally do this- rumor about farsight

Interesting rumour, I wouldn't mind a bit more background on Farsight, I always believed the Orks had something to do with it.
But, I simply do not want the answer revealed. Never. I will refuse to read the fluff section in his new rules whenever our dex is finally released if I hear that the mystery is answered.
By writing farsight's background as 'something bad happened, ethereal died, don't know what it was' it leaves endless possibilities and a great openness for writing fluff on the enclaves. You could have a tau army that suited you. Mercenaries, Minions of Chaos, Traitors, Pretending-to-be-traitors-but-really-not-ers. I like the current fluff, and do not want one of GW's greater mysteries turned around and O'Shovah being made into just another character. We already have O'Shaserra for "random tau characters that are complete puppets of the ethereals and will do whatever it takes to please them"

And wrong board.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 11:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Indeed it is interesting, Perhaps they will give the Tau a little slack against psycic powers now, I know they aren't Pariah's, But in inquistion the Tau profile suggests psycic powers do have less affect against them. Plus there are some nasty looking powers lined up for the SM Librarians.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 15:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

It is interesting...but in the current 3rd and 4th ed fluff isn,t the sword C'tanish/Necron-like? Eitherway it would be nice to have somethingore specific on him and his faction.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That 8 squad size, melee tendency and red paint job as Doom once said does hint of Chaos, though at that point in time it sounded too far-fetched. Now this theory does have some weight...

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with Korill!!

The possiblities that were left open with the current Fluff for Farsight made Farsight one of the most fun topics for me to debate. All the different things that could have happened, why there is such sparse information, why the Empire did not try to reign in a rogue Tau element for many years. There is a great many things that they could write about and not solve all the riddles.

As for getting a bit more, I'd love to have some of the more simple questions answered. I'd like to know how the enclave is handling the "exile", how are they surviving? What are they doing over there, what is the over all scheme? Is Farsight in command still, kept alive by the Dawn Blade? Is he alive due to normal Tau livespan (I know, about 50 years, but is that directly from the Tau or by Imperial biopsy).

So many questions with out going into why they "split". I wouldn't mind some of these answers.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 16:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well I wonder what my Inquisitor will think considering he had some theories...

[hr]

Question: If the sword was telling him things, and the Tau are a rational lot would that not be a case for Farsight to become rather suspicious of it? Even more if he wasn't consciously aware of it's whisperings you'd think then he'd be likely to go to his Shas/Fio J'kor and say; "Dudes I'm losing it!" Even more so, you'd think that his soldiers would go; "WTF? With Farsights lifespan, let's operate!..."*

If that wasn't enough surely the artifact has been growing in power over all that bloodshed, enough that perhaps odd things were happening. Look what happened with La'kais on a single world, here we have a Shas'O and a whole set of Enclaves, surely enough warp energy would have been channeled to cause wacky things long before now...?

*Now as we know the Tau live 40 years, does this mean that Shaddowsun and Aun'va could be under something of the same 'spell' which is messing with their lifespans, but not messing with their minds directly. Perhaps Chaos to the Tau is a boon rather than a hindrance, but with it comes a deadly selfdestructive desire. (Note both Farsight and Shaddowsun and Aun'shi liked to get up close...???).

Like all theories more questions come of a single answer...

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 16:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
Is Farsight in command still, kept alive by the Dawn Blade? Is he alive due to normal Tau livespan (I know, about 50 years, but is that directly from the Tau or by Imperial biopsy).

So many questions with out going into why they "split". I wouldn't mind some of these answers.
In my opinion there is not one but many successive commander farsights. The old commander farsight trains the new commander farsight, and then retires, allowing his apprentice to take command of the enclave. A La Dread Pirate Roberts.

However most theories on age are kind of thrown out the window because some sources say farsight is over 300 years old, but Shadowsun trained under puretide as well, meaning either Farsight trained under Puretide rather recently in his personal history, or shadowsun is also around 300 years old.

Old 28 Aug 2008, 16:40   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

This might be fun. A new model would be fantastic. After the Forge World suits were released I have never been able to look at the stock GW suits the same way.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2008, 17:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
So- the store i frequent gets a lot of managorial traffic and black shirt guys- and during a conversation with them about upcoming 'stuff' they mentioned they had seen a new O'shova green.

Now- like everyone i don't trust GW staff as far as i can throw them- and most of them are a hefty lot. But it was just a simple observation that he had, indeed, seen a new sculpt for the commander we know as Farsight. For all of you who are going to jump down my throat, greens are always just a possibility, something a sculptor was just kicking around and playing for fun- so no guarantees.

But- the interesting bit was this: O'shova has a daemon sword- but it has no effect on him since he is a Tau. Instead the blade is just telling him to consistently engage the enemy- like someone yelling at you- you don't have to do what it says but you can listen. This is supposed to tie into the idea that O'shova is in a big battle against a growing Ork Waagh- but that he has bit off more than he can chew, perhaps because he listened to the sword or he's just hateful of orks. But it is also supposed to expand his fluff- and explain that he hasn't broken away from the Empire- he's just battling across the border of the gulf.

Anyway- interesting stuff if it's true- and here's my question: What will this mean for a possible new Tau faction- eh? When the new codex comes in the next decade- what might it hold if this could be true? (All i'm saying is that i'm glad we're not gonna see chaos tau)
great so non chaos tau...but does that mean Farsight is just another tau who fell victim to peer pressure?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote