Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now?
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2005, 20:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now?

Basically right now I got the Devilfish with the 4 drones and 8 fire warriors, and the starter kit with the kroot, firewarriors, drones, and suits. I want to make a balanced army and I was wondering what I would need now for a good 1000 point army. Take into account though I don't wanna really spend more than $100 more if I can avoid it.

All purpose army that can do well especially against Marines and IG (considering they're played the most around here in E-town.)

Is this possible?
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 07 May 2005, 20:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now

Robogem:

So you have:
  • 1 x Devilfish
    14 x Gundrones
    20 x Fire Warriors
    12 x Kroot Carnivores
    3 x XV8 Crisis Suits (configurations?)

This gives you a good start on troops and fast attack and elites, leaving the heavy support and possibly elite or fast attack options still open. For $100 extra, you can outfit the force quite a bit, so it really comes down to what kind of force you want to play. If you're facing marines and imperial guard most often and you want to try and keep an edge, you don't have to build against them, but simply use tactics against them.

Some things are apparent, such as that it's not a good idea to play a sit & shoot game against the Guard, because they're just better at it. Playing sit & shoot versus marines is also not a winning move. So choosing your next units should reflect how you want to approach taking on these enemies.

Depending on your style, for the money, I'd recommend Pathfinders and a Hammerhead. The remaining points and money could be well spent on Stealthsuits giving you a nice well rounded force with a little bit of everything. However, your style will dictate this of course.

Tell us more about the kind of game you play. How you use your units, etc. You'll get better help that way

Cheers!
Old 07 May 2005, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now

That's exactly how I've started out
My recent additions have been a couple of broadsides and some stealth suits, I've only been playing combat patrol (2 games to 1 against Chaos marines :P), so the BSides haven't had a look in, but I can highly recommend stealths. I've yet to try pathfinders or Hhead, but they're next on the list.
Old 07 May 2005, 21:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

my current list to toy around with goes like :

Etheral
6 man FW
-Fish
20 Kroot
5 Sealths
7 PF
-Fish
2 HH

going for a more main stream list I'd go for buying 2 HH and spenging the rest on stealths (I dont know how much HH are in US$ :P)

to make

Shas'El
TLMP,PR,HWMT
97pts

Crisis Monat
TLPR,FLamer(vestigal selection to fill a hard point)
60pts

Crisis Monat
TLPR,FLamer(vestigal selection to fill a hard point)
60pts

4 Stealths
120pts

12 FW
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
-MT
-TA
225pts

12 Kroot
84pts

Railhead
-SMS
-MT
-DL
-TL
180pts

Railhead
-SMS
-MT
-DL
-TL
180pts

be advised I have no Idea if 2 blisters of stealths and 2 HH comes under 100$us ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 May 2005, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Id say a HammerHead ought to do it. And maybe a Broadside or two.
Old 08 May 2005, 07:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Re: So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now?

So pretty much ummm...

So for a 1000 point game, just throwing out random stuff here, too lazy to check pt value at the moment:

I'm stuck between buying 2-3 broadsides or 1-2 Hammerheads. Or should I get 2 BS and 1 Hammerhead, i dunno...

Also, are stealth suits vital? Or that team with the markerlights + carbines (to tired tonight to check books)?

Should I get more than 20 firewarriors? More than 12 Kroot?

I'm hard pressed on what I should buy next *le sigh*.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 08 May 2005, 07:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Best thing to buy is 2 HH at this point, and Stealths if you have spare cash after :

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 08 May 2005, 08:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yep, If you want to maximise your potential here:

HQ
Shas'el Fireknife

Troops
12 FW in Devil Fish

8 FW in Fish

Elites
2 Crisis Fireknife

Fast Attack
2 Tetras

Heavy Support
1 HH with a railgun

any spare cah, spend it on a HH
Old 08 May 2005, 16:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: So far I have a Devilfish with FW troop and the Tau starter, what to get now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogem
Basically right now I got the Devilfish with the 4 drones and 8 fire warriors, and the starter kit with the kroot, firewarriors, drones, and suits.* I want to make a balanced army and I was wondering what I would need now for a good 1000 point army.* Take into account though I don't wanna really spend more than $100 more if I can avoid it.

All purpose army that can do well especially against Marines and IG (considering they're played the most around here in E-town.)

Is this possible?
So, Devilfish, 20 Fire Warriors, 12 Kroot 14 drones and 3 suits in all. And you want to bring it up to 1000 points.

What you have is a very good start. Personally, I'd recommend 2 hammerheads in addition, or a hammerhead and a broadside. Preferably 2 hammerheads. Though in 1000 points, I'd field 3. But I'm a treadhead, or grav-motor head! Beyond that, invest in 2 more FW squads. And an etherial.
Best thing is to try and mess around with those units. Try the various combinations of suits. Try a 3man crisis team, or a shas'el and 2 monats. Find what you like in your list, and go with it.
What I do is in a 1000 pointer, or even 1500 pointer, i have a core force of maybe 750-1250 points and the rest i just mess around and experiment with.

For a "core" force, 2 Hammerheads (with upgrades-NEVER leave home without a multi tracker, target lock and decoy launchers) 340 points, 3 FW teams (10-12 Fire Warirors with Shas'ui, 330-390 points, and an etherial. THat leaves you over 250 points to mess around with. Try a devilfish squad, crisis suit team, maybe even pathfinders or stealths. You will find some things appeal to you and you'll stick to them, and so your "core" force might change over time to have maybe a hammerhead, stealthsuit team, broadside, 2 FW squads and the rest you make up on the day. Do it.
Playing with "cores" is great. it lets you experiment with the list, lets your style of play evolve, and it keeps things interesting in that you're not playing the same old list over and over.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 08 May 2005, 17:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Don't worry about getting drones too much, they come with everything; and read up on all the posts concerning how to use them. They are not (regardless of what some fans may say) one of the better units in the tau army. Use them right and they can be sufficiently useful, but not overly so.
Closed Thread