Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

real line of sight and fish of fury
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default real line of sight and fish of fury

{skip this }
well today I was playing a game against chaos, at first it was going to be fun , then I asked his what type of army he has, he told me not to worry about it ,I brushed it off and then deployed my units , now I know your not so post to deploy your units before rolling sides but come on is it really that big of a deal ???so he told me to pull everything off , so I did ... then we went through all the rolls and then he told me to deploy again ... on the same side of the table and everything .... like come on we spent like 30 minutes just moving stuff around ...
{read this }
then we start my turn and I move up all my units ,deployed a fish of fury which killed one squad of 10 chaos marines and let me cap the objective
(yes it was luck)

but before I actually got to shoot all my guys he told me I can't because I can't see them, I was like wtf? It's a skimmer it's flying If anything my guys would go into the prone position . he told me I can't shoot , so I became a smart ass and gave it a drone base , he laughed and let me do it ... but the thing that pisses me of is that real line of sight is actually punishing players because there models are not the way they want them , like what if I wanted some cool prone-ing guys, does that mean my units can't shoot over a wall ???

this also gave me a cool Idea , I asked a GW employee and he said it was fine if I made a huge base/stick but it would make It visible to every body , not that I care I have a 12' auto cover save

what are your thoughts ?
Matt0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:25   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: real line of sight and fish of fury

FOF did get a bit nerfed in 5th ed with the "real" LOS. I am now modeling flying bases on my devilfish so I can see under it now. but on the plus side I can now make a moving AV12 wall for my kroot to walk behind :P
I have also thought about making a hugh flying base out of clear acrylic rod. When I say big I mean at least 12"+ that way I will always get a cover save because I will always be at least 12" from every shot via the virtical hight ;D)
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:31   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamdrew
FOF did get a bit nerfed in 5th ed with the "real" LOS. I am now modeling flying bases on my devilfish so I can see under it now. but on the plus side I can now make a moving AV12 wall for my kroot to walk behind :P
I have also thought about making a hugh flying base out of clear acrylic rod. When I say big I mean at least 12"+ that way I will always get a cover save because I will always be at least 12" from every shot via the virtical hight ;D)
Is it tourney legal though ?( only really problem I think I would run into
Matt0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

There are actually flying bases that are a little taller than a fire warrior and they're perfectly legal. All of my flying bases for my vehicles are that high. Actually they're they bases that come with piranhas. A fire warrior can see, and be seen, clear under it. Hope this helps, I use them all the time.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 05:25   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamdrew
as far as i know thats legal but a bit unsportsman like. also you wouldnt be able to get troops out of it because they wouldnt be within 2 inches of the doors. so if it were ever exploded or wrecked you would lose everyone inside it no matter what.
TauGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 05:27   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think you need to use the bases that come with it, or a scenic base of the same height. But there is nothing stopping you from using one of the higher flying bases, in which case you could still see under the skimmer.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 08:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I think you need to use the bases that come with it, or a scenic base of the same height. But there is nothing stopping you from using one of the higher flying bases, in which case you could still see under the skimmer.
I personally use one of the slightly taller standard flying stands. No-one seems to have a problem with it. The only reason I even use it to smack rules-lawyers before they get started on the "can't see underneath" crap due to the extra height on my scenic bases.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 12:08   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to weston_2k7

personaly i always thought there was a set rule about flying bases and what height they had to be but i cant rememver where in the 5th ed rules it is . it doesn't say a specific height but it does say something about the flying bases having to be the same height as gw ones and give no advantage to the model will modify if found
weston_2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the point is valid that you can see under the skimmer if there is enough space between the craft and the ground for the unit behind it to fire. But what if you wanted the vehicle to block LOS as well? would you switch from one base to another in combat? It just seems silly. I think maybe they should have it either one way or the other: either Skimmers block or they don't block LOS. If they don't, then what base you give them affects the game, there's no points added for this strategic boon. I can decide to have a wall or a window depending on what base I give it, rather than what the model is designed for. I agree that skimmers should be considered quite agile vehicles, but for game-balance, they shouldn't be able to decide whether they block los or not dependant on your taste. Now that I've gotten of my high horse, I think I'm gonna build some tall bases now for my DF!
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 14:44   #10 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

The thing you have to remember is that all heights for line of sight are checked as if the unit were standing normally on a standard base no matter how it is modeled. It does not matter is the model is laying down etc it counts as standing for LoS.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote