Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Vs Crons
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2005, 18:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Tau Vs Crons

I played vs the boosting Cron player yesterday. Thought Id post up some stuff.

His army was different than usual less boosty and a ctan because the campaign rules we were using could make his lords never come on the board.

His army was:

Deciever
10 Immortal
2 squads of 10 warriors
10 Flayers
10 Scarabs
Lisk

Typically he fields
Lord w veil and orb
Lord w destoryer body res orb
10 immortals
2 squads of 10 warriors
10 scarabs
5 wraiths in 2 squads (1 of 2 and 1 of 3, they boost with the lord)
Lith

I believe thats it but there are some other things too I believe (scarabs had D field)

Anyway I played my 1500 hybrid army and won in the end but it was a hard battle. The lith Deep Struck into a bunch of my guys and used the everything in 12 gun to cause a lot of damage. The highlights for me were using FOF as a surprise to run one of his warriors squads off the board and after the bside nad HH shoorting Rails at it all game only hitting on turn 5!

The thing that really helped him was a trick I just learned with flayers. They infiled 13 away so My crisis are placed so that they can jump up RF plasam and jump back just out of his assault. However when you kill a necron and he makes his WBB roll on his turn he can then place it anywhere in coherency to the unit. AKA 2 inches CLOSER to me. THis allowed him to get a first turn charge on the crisis which made this game ALOT harder.

Anyway hopefully next time I can take some pictures and post a detailed batrep, but any opinions on the armys or suggestions?
Old 07 May 2005, 18:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Tau Vs Crons

Wow... he only had 40 necron models in 1500 points. And no Resurrection orbs. Also, very few squads and all are running low. That means you could drop him to 10 models or less and he loses the game. The flayers should have been focus fired off of the board (knock all 10 down and none get back up, at all). Then his Warriors should have been focused off the board next, assuming they were far enough apart (6 inches) to deny the WBB rolls for them too (knock down all 10, and no like model is within the range, they just go away). The immortals are a pain, but have limited range that can be worked around if you're mobilized a little bit. Otherwise, focus them off the board if you have enough to do it with.

The deceiver is slow, so really, no reason to worry about it unless you're just getting up close and personal here. The scarabs are pie-plate-bait. The monolith loves railguns.

Not much I can really tell you other than to follow prioritization and to focus fire on the Necrons. They really aren't that dangerous or hard in games like that where they lack enough models and orbs to just keep coming back. They're vulnerable like this and fall relatively easy and have very little range overall.

Good luck next time!
Old 07 May 2005, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

One of my regulars is a Necron player.

I love Phase Out
Old 07 May 2005, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I actually missed over 9 shots with railguns before I got the monolith. Also, the way he played phasing out was near impossible, until the end of the game. All of his warriors and immortals just hugged cover at his side of the board, while boosters flew up, flayers charged, monolith deepstruck, etc. This way, he did quite a bit of damage before actually moving his warriors out into a more open area. The ctan was not a problem at all, I'm actually quite glad he took it. 300 points walking slowly in circles that cannot hold table quarters; not a bad thing at all. However that flayer trick really got me.
Old 07 May 2005, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

sucks on the Flayer Trick, but both those lists look oh so bad, 30 Crons to phase out the one you played and 28 on the Second list

the Problem I see is you play a static Hybrid (mech hybrid is a hybrid with no static teams) you dont have Mechatau's ability to Reach out and touch the Warriors with your smoking barrels of death without having your firebase threatened so you have to play more centrally and have trouble getting at edge huggers correct?

I love phase out and those armies just ask for it :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 May 2005, 22:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im counting 37 cron models in the second list.

I still beat him its just a challenge. (We play with a lot of area terrain around here so he can effectively hide his squads)

I find regular cron lists both boring AND easy to beat.
Old 07 May 2005, 22:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

75% of 37 is 27.75 so 28 necrons have to die.

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 May 2005, 23:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah yes my bad I forgot his less boosty list actually had more necrons.
Closed Thread