Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Had my first two games at the weekend...
Old 25 Aug 2008, 10:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Had my first two games at the weekend...

As some of you may know, I only joined up to the forums on Friday and I mentioned that I had been away from 40k for about 10 years or so. But now I'm getting back into it again, thanks to some other friends who are getting into it again as well.

Well anyway, I had my first two games at the weekend there. Both of which where ties, but they where good games nonetheless.

1st Game - Tau vs Imperial Guard - 500pts - Take and hold 5 objectives

My 500 point army:

2 x 10 Firewarriors - one leader, markerlight, HW Target, HW Multi
3 Stealth Suits - one leader, markerlight, HW Target, HW Multi
1 Commander - Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Fusion + HW Target, HW Multi

500 Point Imp Guard:

2 Guard Squads
2 Command Squads
1 Storm Troopers + Chimera
1 Sentinel

Turn 1 - IG
IG went first, on the right flank the storm troopers in their Chimera stormed forward towards the objective on my side of the board. One of the squads dug in around the ruins of an old Imperial sweat house and held that objective. Other squad cautiously moved forward to the edge of the crater they where in and too up fire positions. The Sentinel was off board preparing a flanking maneuver. One of the command squads, which had a heavy bolter, thought they saw something moving amongst the rocks in the middle of the battle, but the stealth teams stealth generator held true to its words. Some pot shots came from the IG squads towards my firewarriors, but the odd shot that did hit would just ping off the resilient armor forged by the best armourers of the Earth Caste.

Turn 1 - Tau
My commander, seeing a prime target in the chimera which was charging down the flank he was on, jumped in front of it and tried to bring it down with his fusion gun. Unfortunately the range he was firing from was just great for the potent weapon and the destructive power just wasn't enough to stop the armoured menace. Annoyed, he fired off a salvo from his missile pod towards his heavy bolter armed command squad and killed 2 of the support team. failing their leadership they fell back. Mildly satisfied, my commander jumped back behind the crater he originally started from. My stealth suits jumped forward and unloaded 9 shots into the guard squad hiding in the crater and killing 4 of them. The shock of 4 troopers being killed from what appeared to be nothing shocked the squad so badly they immediately retreated futher into the crater. They then took cover in amongst the debris from a fallen IG aircraft, the sole memory of a battle from some other forgotten time. My two dug in firewarrior squads, also hiding in their own craters, held their ground and took some long range shots at the dug in IG. A few troops fell to their shots.

---------------------------------------------------

Turn 2 - IG
The commander from the 1st command squad, enraged by surprise missile salvo, whipped his surviving squad members into shape by chanting the Imperial Creed and ordered his heavy weapons team to take up position and ready to fire. Reports where coming in from incoming fire from an unknown source on the left flank and he wanted to be ready. The cowering squad in the crater rallied at the thought of support fire from the heavy bolter squad and moved back into position. One of them caught the glimmer of movement and screamed out the position of my stealth team and the squad opened fire. 3 hits where true, but luck was not with the squad as they all harmlessly deflected off the armour. The Chimera continued its advance and stopped just short of my first firewarrior squad, its multilaser turret turning to unleash a blinding salvo, but the angle was all wrong and the shots peppered the edge of the crater behind the dug in squad. The Storm troopers charged out and immediately rapid fired 18 shots towards my commander. A glancing shot through an unarmoured joint wounded the commander, but was not enough to push him back. The dug in squad of imperial guard where essentially firing for effect, and hoping to bring down something or to at least keep the firewarriors heads down while their fellow storm troopers assaulted their position.

Turn 2 -Tau
Furious at the glancing wound, the commander jumped to the side of the chimera and fired his fusion blaster at point blank range.The shot was too good! The burning heat penetrated the fuel tank in teh Chimera which resulted in a blinding and wide explosion. The commander was unfazed as the turret flew mere inches past his head, the shockwave just barely registering against his suit. The storm trooper squad wasn't so lucky as the blast enveloped the whole unit. 4 where unlucky as ignited petroleum brought two of the hardened troopers down screaming and wailing, while two others where shredded and impaled as debris from the chimera fought to escape from the blast. Unfazed, the squad knew they where behind enemy lines and could not fall back now, they would mourn the dead later. The dug in firewarrior squad was also encapsulated in the blast. But being a bonded squad, the two leading troops stood up and took the brunt of the blast in a crazy but courageous attempt to save the rest of the squad and allowing them to continue to fight for the greater good. After the blast the comander unleashed his burst cannon at the surviving elements of the storm squad and brought down another two. Against all odds, the storm troopers fought on. Adrenaline and rage was the fuel. The injured firewarrior squad decided to make an advance on the objective the Storm Troopers where going for and, using the destroyed carcass of the chimera, flanked right. The stealth Team, playing to the role of harassment, jumped forward again and unloaded into the IG squad hiding in the crater killing another 3. My second firewarrior squad provided cover support for the other firewarrior squad.

-----------------------------------------------

Turn 3 - IG
The storm trooper squad, desperate for vengence, turned their attention on the advancing firewarrior squad. Flame thrower, front and ready unleased an orange and red storm which felled 2 of the advancing squad, and the supporting hail of fire brought a third down. Morale was high, however, as the leader of the cadre was charging forward in support. The heavy weapon command squad, finally saw what was harassing the left flank and unleased a barrage of heavy bolter rounds. Only a couple made their mark, but harmlessly bounced off the squad. The IG squad in the crater made a mad run towards the objective in the middle to try and secure it from the Tau advance.

Turn 3 - Tau
The firewarriors returned fire from the hip and reduced the already casualty heavy storm trooper squad down to two men, all the while still making a run for the objective. The commander flew close to the remnants of the ST squad and wiped them out with a shot from his burst cannon. A ping on his sensors, however, brought his attention a new target approaching the objective. The second command squad was charging forward, hoping to use the confusion of the Chimera raid to push forward. In response, the commander fired his missile pod at the squad and killed one of their number. The second firewarrior squad decided to make a move and charged over to the middle of the left flank to capture the objective there. In support the stealth team jumped forward again and split their fire this time, two fired on the skulking IG team, which had just ran in front of their field of fire, while the team leader aimed towards the heavy weapon command squad. The IG team took another two casualties while the command squad took another two hits. Finally jumping back to end their assault.

---------------------------------------

Turn 4 - IG
The IG squad in the middle took the middle objective and took up firing positions, ready to hold till the last man. The heavy weapons team continued to provide fire support and fired on my concealed stealth team, unsuccessfully. The other command squad continued to push forward on teh right flank, hoping to contest it till teh end of the game from my commander and remaining firewarrior squad. the commander, who turned out was armed with a storm bolter, fired at the advancing firewarrior squad and reduced their number to 4.

Turn 4- Tau
The stealth team led the assault this time, as they jumped out, the squad leader finally wiping out the heavy weapons command squad while the rest of his team managed to fell one more from the squad who tool the middle objective. all this before jumping back behind cover. The middle squad new they where not gonna last, they resigned themselves to holding out as long as possible in the vain hope of reinforcements arriving from...somewhere. My commander, relishing the chance at taking on a new target, jumped forward and fired his burst cannon and missile pod at the command squad. Their medic was only able to save one of the men from the barrage, however. The surviving elements of the firewarrior squad on that side turned their weapons on the command squad, but was in vain as no damage was dealt. The other firewarrior squad consolidated their position as vague reports where coming in about a large ping advancing on the left flank.

---------------------------------------------

Turn 5 - IG
Monitoring the comm-net, the sentinel pilot was desperate to get into the fight, sensing that his platoon was being overrun by superior forces he wanted to get into the fight to bring in some much needed firepower. The route he was ordered to take was fraught difficult terrain, even for the nimble sentinel which impeded his advance. But eventually he was at his waypoint and began his flanking maneuver. Making his moves he noticed a dug in squad of firewarriors. Half where firing towards his lines, but the other half saw he was coming. Instinct took over and he charged forward, firing his autocannon and slaying one of the dug in squad. Angry he charged in hoping to crush the xeno menace under his mechanical feet. The squad all piled in in the hope to drag the engaged troops to safety. but the sentinel pilot managed to crush one, but failed to injure anymore.

Turn 5 - Tau
The commander and remaining elements from the firewarrior squad on that flank, continued to advance and fire into teh command squad contesting the objective. The heavy fire from both the squad and the commander and FW squad was too much and eventually the command squad was wiped out, leaving the objective open for the FW squad to take. The FW squad engaged with the sentinel managed to pull back far enough to bring their weapons to bear on the sentinel. 14 shots, of which 8 hit, 1 was a glancing hit and the other was penetrating. Stunning the pilot and destroying his auto-cannon. Temporarily disabling the sentinel but still contesting the objective. My stealth team jumped forward again, hoping to try and cause the IG team in the middle to panic from more casualties, but they held firm. SO they held their ground this time, contesting the middle objective.

Game end

Tau: 1 Objective, 1 Contested
IG: 1 Objective, 1 contested

Losses
IG:
1 Storm Trooper Squad
1 Chimera
2 command Squads
3 quaters of an IG Squad
1 Damaged Sentinel

Tau:
1 would on my commander
6 firewarriors in one squad
3 on the other

For my first game, i was more than happy with the result. I thought I was taking a gamble not taking a devilfish with some seeker missiles, especially when I new he was taking the sentinel and chimera. Thankfully my commanders fusion rifle, and the firewarriors basic weapons having a ST of 5 saved the day. the result may have been difference if I knew the rules more intimately, but I can't complain really.

Battle 2 coming up:

Ubersnug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 10:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Had my first two games at the weekend...

Battle 2:

Tau & IG Vs Demon Army (Khrone) - 500pts/500pts Vs 1000pts - Take and hold 1 objective (middle of board)

Allied forces - Tau
Same as above

Allied Forces - IG
Similar to above, but removed some wargear to allow a second sentinel. Both where armed with flamers.

Demons
2 full bloodletter squads
1 squad of demon hounds with two headed thing leading them (can't remember their names)
BloodThirster
1 massive 6 metal legged thing with a demon torso in the middle.

When we saw what the demon army was fielding, our first thought was 'we need more heavy weapons'. Considering the heaviest thing I had was on my commander, and my ally had a multilaser and two heavy bolters, we where in serious trouble.

Turn 1 - Demons
Only two things materialised out of the warp on the first turn. The big 6 legged thing (will be referenced as B6T from now on) and one squad of bloodletters. The bloodletters appeared not that far from my two firewarrior squads, and the B6T appeared right behind us in our own deployment zone. Thankfully the bloodletters could not charge my firewarriors, giving them a turn to fire back, but the B6T fired. First off it fired into my allies main command squad, reducing them to half strength, then the thing fired off some Acid type weapon which killed my commander and two of my stealth suits outright.

Turn 1 - allies
My Stealth suit positioned himself to cover the firewarriors on my flank, knowing full well that his burst cannon could not penetrate the armour on the B6T. The two squads of firewarriors unleased hell in their deployment zone. Rapid firing 40 times into the bloodletters squad. the stealth suit adding an additional 3 shots into the making. 43 hits which made 7 kills. 3 left standing and ready to charge my firewarriors.

In a desperate attempt my allies chimera changed tack and moved along the flank and managed to see a weak spot on the back of the B6T. Two shots, one penetrating hit. A 6 was rolled and the thing blew up. A cheer rises from the IG's side of the battle.

--------------------------

Turn 2 - Demons
No new demons spawned this turn. The 3 remaining bloodletters charged into one of my 10 man firewarriors squads. Killing 6 outright, the remaining 4 fell back in panic only to be cut down completely by the 3 bloodletters.

Turn 2 - Allies
Nothing much happened, the IG consolidated their positions and moved a squad onto the objective. Holding it bravely against the oncoming chaos hordes. My remaining firewarrior squad, firing off twenty shots into the 3 remaining BL's just managed to bring them down. My remaining stealth unit floated about teh middle waiting on something to react to.

----------------------------

turn 3 - Demons
The blood thirster spawns, right in the middle of the board and in front of the IG line. its single shot manages to take down a single IG trooper. No charge for this as he just spawned in, thankfully for us.

turn 3 - allies
the IG unleash everything they have into the Blood thirster. Fear alone fueled the onslaught. About 40 hits later, one wound was caused. My remaining tau forces, having to redeploy to get a shot, leaving my stealth unit to appear behind it and fire off 3 harmless shots into its ugly hide.

---------------------

Turn 4 - Demons
The last bloodletter squad and hell dog things appeared in the middle of the board, intending to rush the IG units there and secure the objective in the name of Khrone. The bloodthirster charged into the middle of the IG's massed ranked and proceeded to make his offereing to Khrone, easily wiping out an entire squad.

Turn 4 - Allies
It was getting close to do or die now. Thankfully the Demon player assumed my flank would not cause a problem fir him now and so focused his efforts on securing the objective and killing some imperials in the process. My Tau had repositioned so they could fire long range shots at the bloodthirster, but their efforts was in vain. Even my remaining stealth unit failed to damage the demon. The IG had to mobilise quickly to consolidate their position against 3 charging units. the Chimera managed to skid into position and fired on teh bloodthirster, causing one more much needed wound. The remaining IG units fired shot after shot onto the blodthirster. 30 odd shots managed to score one more would on the BT, reducing him to one more wound. But the advancing BT's and Hd's would be upon them next round.

Turn 5 - Demons
The bloodthirster charged into the other command squad wiping them out. The Bloodletters and Hell dog thigns charged into the units that had secured the objective. Everything charged was wiped out completely, making the objective theirs and uncontested. The imp guard was left with one Chimera and the storm troopers contained inside. This turn also saw the sentinels arrive, but they where too far out to do any damage.

Turn 5 - Allies
it seems the demon army underestimated what the remnants of my force was capable of. My firewarriors, residing to the fact they could not get any closer just fired long shots towards the bloodthirster. 10 shots, 2 hits, 1 wounded which he failed to save and the thing flopped to the ground, the firewarriors cheered with success. the remaining stealth suit jumped into the middle of the objective and fired on the BL's, taking 2 of them out. but, since this was the end of the game, his presence there meant he contested the objective denying the win to Chaos.

This was a very hard fought game. its amazing the amount of punishment his army could take. but, if it wasn;t for some lucky rolls on our part, we could have easily been wiped out by about turn 3.

Still, against such a powerful enemy, we where more than happy that we secured a draw.

Old 25 Aug 2008, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Awesome read!

I just wanted to check and make sure your commander has a hard wired target lock and hard wired Multi tracker? He was shotting at 2 units every turn and as such, needs those items to do so. I know when I first started those confused the heck outa me!
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togashi Johnathan
Awesome read!

I just wanted to check and make sure your commander has a hard wired target lock and hard wired Multi tracker? He was shotting at 2 units every turn and as such, needs those items to do so. I know when I first started those confused the heck outa me!
Yep, he had a HW Multi tracker and a HW Target Lock. Essential purchases i thought!
Old 25 Aug 2008, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersnug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togashi Johnathan
Awesome read!

Yep, he had a HW Multi tracker and a HW Target Lock. Essential purchases i thought!
I'm sorry to break it to you (it hurt me too) but the target lock doesn't let you shoot 2 weapons at 2 different units. The Multitracker allows you to shoot 2 weapons. the target lock allows you to shoot at a different unit from the rest of your squad (EX: so a unit of 3 crisis suits lets say. the leader has a target lock and multi tracker hardwired. The leader can fire his burst cannon and missle pod at a storm trooper unit, while the other two crisis suits fire at a guard unit). EVERYONE (especially new players) seem to think that the Multitracker/Target Lock combo do what you think. It's GW's fault, they cant write for Shtlk.

Put it was a great read. I love when people write battle reports as stories (again, GW is bad at that, their stroys are rediculously cheesy)
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 14:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Crap, your right. I really need to go play some more. all the rules are getting messy in me head!
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 17:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The codex isn't the most easy thing to read, and the way the two items of the same name interact in tanks is different from the way they interact the suits. I think this is unique to Tau, so if you were from another army, you might get confused as such.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 23:24   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Great write up!! Really enjoyed reading.

Randy
Randoramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 23:38   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yep, nice read ! How do you like Tau so far ? What were you playing 10 years ago ?
korto is offline   Reply With Quote