Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to buy next
Old 24 Aug 2008, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What to buy next

okay so I've been lucky most people don't have friends like me who all have a little bit of tau that want to get rid of it, I've gotten my entire army for about 160$
I've got

Elites/HQ

8 Crisis
1 x PR/ABFP/SG/HWMT (Commander O'Shasaunva (Shas'o))
1 x PR/CIB/SG/HWMT (Thinking about dropping SG)
1 x PR/BC/SG/HWMT (Thinking about dropping SG)
1 x BC/MP/MT
4 x Fireknife (PR/MP/MT)

6 Steathies

4 x BC
2 x FB (Not my choice came this way)

Troops

48 x Firewarriors w/Pulse Rifles

2 x Devilfish Troop Transport

Fast Attack

1 x Piranha Light Skimmer (unknown weather it is FB or BC have yet to go pick it up)

Heavy Support

Broadsides
1 x Ui TL w/ A.S.S./MT/SMS
1 x Ui TL w/ TA/MT/TLPR

Hammerhead
fully convertable Ion/Rail w/ SMS/BC
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 00:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What to buy next

What point level are you looking to play? At first glance you look to be in the 1800 area. If it were me, I'd add another piranha or two, a third broadside or maybe a set of pathfinders. The marker lights are looking to be very handy in 5th with better effect on Ld tests and removing the ever present cover saves. A very basic set up on that will put you close to 2k.

Also what other armies do you play against? This will tell us more what advice to give you. IF its a lot of hoard armies, the pathfinders won't do as well as say, another hammerhead. however MEQ's i think the finders are great.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 00:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

im looking to get around 3k Tau and then probly 3K IG and play them apoc together, ussually i play Space Marines, Eldar, IG, Necrons, Ocassionally Tyranids, Orcs and Chaos Demons ( i think this is what they are called)

Im thinking about getting 2 of the boxes that come with 12 FWs, converting them to pathfinders and then id have 4 fishes for my 4 FW squads and i think i would be around 2kish
Quote:
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Old 25 Aug 2008, 01:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

So your planning on using the tau as mobile fire support and the IG as a fire base? If thats the case, maybe 2 sets of pathfinders, remember, they require a devilfish each. the IG should take care of a lot of your tank needs, but i've yet to play with the apoc and super heavy rules. Maybe a sky ray will be able to help that out and they work nicely with the pathfinders. Maybe convert one of the crisis into a mon'at style commander, then run 2 squads of the crisis to deal with any holes you see in the IG line. the stealth to reek havoc behind lines. pathfinders to help destroy anything that asks for it. Have you gotten any of the IG yet?
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 25 Aug 2008, 01:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

no im going try to get my tau to atleast 2k before i even think about buying IG but yea thats probly how i would do it, basalisks FTW and i just remade my 1500pt one and i have it set up so i have a 3 crisis team and a 2 crisis team that my commander joins just to save points so i could just drop him out and have a 3 team and a 2 team
Quote:
Old 25 Aug 2008, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Cool, well I'd go for the pathfinders and the sky ray then. The basilisks are cool, but they also can scatter, which is bad. The sky ray is a bit more accurate even though its only firing S8. That will help you deal with any tanks that are hiding under a bridge or something. Then, once your out of missiles, you have a floaty marker light platform.

I was figuring your army to only have the solo commander and 2 crisis units. but if your using the bodyguard, that frees up a FOC, that only works for non-apoc games obviously. So maybout you could get a few more crisis suits to fill in any gaps you have in your list. Though looking back you seem to have your suits set up pretty well. Maybe set up a deathrain suit or two for lightly armored transports. If you get a few more piranhas you can pull off the dreaded feeding frenzy. surround all access points of a transport with piranhas, then blow up the 'port. Can't disembark, die!