Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau and the Eldar???
View Poll Results: A possible alliance between the tau and the eldar, would it ever happen???
Yes 15 39.47%
No 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Aug 2008, 18:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Tau and the Eldar???

I was just wondering which of the race(s) in warhammer 40k would be a likely candidate to join the tau empire. I know that the gamesworkshop would make sure no major race formed an alliance with another but it occur ed to me that the eldar, weak as they are, could form a possible lose alliance. With similar technology the tau and eldar could learn so much from each other and it would provide a 'safe' haven for the eldar. that's my view anyway, what do you think?
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 19:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tau and the Eldar???

Eldr form no long-term alliances. They consider all other races inferior to themselves and will only do what's good for the Eldar.

The Greater Good would never appeal to a race that started the Second War for Armageddon just to save Eldar lives.

http://www.travian.co.uk/?uc=uk1
RonanB1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 19:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Wurrzappa Send a message via MSN to Wurrzappa

I think its possible that the Eldar fought with the Tau and lost battle and joined against their will with the Tau...maybe...could be wrong...

Me 'n ma ladz in da early dayz
Wurrzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 23:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I agree with The Broker on this. I don't think the Eldar would ever join the Tau. They are far too proud to subordinate themselves to any other races, no matter their intentions or abilities.

The Eldar would try to manipulate the Tau, and would take advantage of their relative naivete in doing so. But they would never place any weight on any other agenda aside from their own. That is part of what characterizes them as a race. No alliance lasts any longer than its usefullness to the Eldar. It will be discarded the moment it isn't to their immediate advantage.

And in a sense, the Tau Empire could already form a safe haven for the Eldar. The Eldar could easily hide from the Imperium or other threats, using the Tau worlds as a shield. They propably would see no need to ask first, nor would the Tau be able to find them to do anything about it.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2008, 23:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

I voted yes on the fact that I am almost certain they would make an alliance with the tau very easily if needed. But if you are asking if they would become one faction then never.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 02:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Eldar seem a lot like nazi germany to me I think any alliance would be short one of convinience like with Russia. After dividing their Poland, I'm pretty sure Eldar would stick the knife in without hesitation.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Well, I guess I misunderstood the question a little before I voted however my position has only changed slightly.

The I believe the Tau and the Eldar would certainly join forces if need be. The Eldar aren't an overt threat to the Tau way of life and the Tau dont seek to do harm to the Eldar unless provoked to do so.

I think that the Eldar are too proud to become a subordinate of the Tau eldar, nor would they feel the need to hid within Tau space and use the Tau as a shield against other threats. The Eldar are already pretty much using the Imperium for that use. Similarly I dont think the Eldar even require Tau protection. As much as I love the Tau I think the Tau would get more benefit from a formal alliance with the Eldar than the Eldar from the Tau.

The Tau on the other hand are far too agressive and expansionist to ever really settle into a formal alliance with the Eldar in my opinion. I would see the Tau and Eldar really only coming into conflict when the Tau expand to new worlds that the Eldar have claimed for their own or need for some other purpose. The Tau would most likely ignore any Eldar warnings, if they received any, thus incurring their wrath.

I do however think that they would certainly form short term alliances that suited the immediate survival needs of both races. However, the Eldar would NEVER submit to the greater good. Nor would the Tau be accepted by the Eldar as equals.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 08:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
I was just wondering which of the race(s) in warhammer 40k would be a likely candidate to join the tau empire. I know that the gamesworkshop would make sure no major race formed an alliance with another but it occur ed to me that the eldar, weak as they are, could form a possible lose alliance. With similar technology the tau and eldar could learn so much from each other and it would provide a 'safe' haven for the eldar. that's my view anyway, what do you think?
I`m just waiting for Wargamer to stumble upon this thread...

I completely agree with Khanaris - the Eldar would never form a long-term alliance with the Tau - they don`t need to. Why form an alliance when you can manipulate a complete race to do your biding for a short time?

And, as a side note - the Eldar are NOT weak. They might be the smallest faction in the galaxy, but that doesn`t really mean much when you have the technology to reforge the stars, annihilate planets, and creating the perfect, everlasting haircut (no, trust me - Eldar haircuts are teh 1337 $hit!).

If anything, the TAU are actually weaker and more vulnerable (and I say that as a Tau player) - the Eldar are highly mobile, and can easily hide their Craftworlds (most of the time), and you can`t kill what you can`t find (unless you are willing to risk enormous amounts of colateral damage). The Tau are sitting ducks, and everyone and their mom knows where to find them - it`s just a question of amassing enough forces to get rid of them.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 08:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe we could Wargamelight the thread. :P

I'd agree with the Tau being weaker. It's actually a perfect storm of factors protecting their existence; they occupy an easier to defend corner of the galaxy, races really anethema to them almost completely miss them, and these guys meet new people with a handshake, which reduces the chance of violent reprisals (well, some of the time).

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 12:34   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The Eldar never ally with anyone. They do manipulate other races to suit their own agendas, but they never ally.

There are occasions when the Eldar will fight beside other races against a common foe, but more often than not the Eldar will turn on their "allies" and destroy them in kind.

But as to whether the Eldar would ever enter into an alliance as the Tau would understand it... you've got more chance of GW erasing the Tau from 40K altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote