Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth suits and drone controllers
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Stealth suits and drone controllers

I got to thinking today and i dont know if anyone has suggested this before but what about a squad of 6 stealth suits with drone controlers and 2 gun drones, infiltrate them and you have 18 burst cannon shots and 12 TL Carbine shots plus 12 extra wounds, talk about moving shit down, just wondering what people thought of this though
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Stealth suits and drone controllers

Its not the rarest tactic, but it used to suffer from the fact that its really really hard to put 18 models behind cover. Now with 5th eds true line of sight, and being hard to hide any squad behind cover. Now, this leaves only its other weakness, a 300 point unit.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 04:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Also the problem is with 5th edition now if a stealthsuit dies and has drones that are not dead the drones die. Which can be a problem. Wound allocation hit this unit hard. And with the difficulty for finding cover itis even worse. Also 3000 pointsis an awful lot.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I dont know that wound allocation is going to be such a big deal for this unit. It's not often that anyone will cause enough wounds that it will rap around to the drones. In close combat it's a big deal because they can target the drone controlling units and when they drop they take 2 extra wounds with them. That's a huge problem. It's vital that you keep this unit OUT of close combat otherwise they'd basically be guaranteed to run off the table next turn against any dedicated assault unit.

Another problem I see with this unit is that it's got a HUGE footprint. That's 18 models that you're going to need to find cover for and keep from getting assaulted. That's going to be difficult to say the least. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out something for them. But it's a lot of fire power that you can deliver. Why dont you try outflanking with them? That could be a lot of fun.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 08:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've used it, and it is a nasty surprise for your opponent to have 300 points of stuff outflank and reach 1/3 of the table with 30 strength 5 shots! I don't see wound allocation being that big a deal, really. At worst, you will take 2 drone hits for every suit hit, and the drones will fail more saves, so your odds of losing a suit before you lose the drones are pretty low. If you're being pelted by AP4 weaponry with no cover then wound allocation will be tricky, of course. The only real problem I've found with this tactic is that an 18 model squad can be very unwieldy and take up an awful lot of space on the battlefield.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 08:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I just wish stealth suits had options for longer ranged weapons to truely make use of thier stealth systems.

As it is now i would only use them as a 3 man 6 marker drone team to marker light for your army hiding them in the back where they have the range and are unlikely to be targeted or "seen".
Old 23 Aug 2008, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
I just wish stealth suits had options for longer ranged weapons to truely make use of thier stealth systems.

As it is now i would only use them as a 3 man 6 marker drone team to marker light for your army hiding them in the back where they have the range and are unlikely to be targeted or "seen".
The sniper drone teams come pretty close to that: stealth field, same toughness, similar armor save. Of course the problem with them is that they take up a heavy support slot and they carry heavy weapons. Against a static army they can still be pretty nasty. If only the next codex let you put rail rifles on stealth suits!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2008, 19:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The problem with the sniper drone teams while fun to play with, are nowhere near as resiiant or more importantly moble as a crisis or stealth team, slot in the FOC aside.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 17:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have a question for some of the more experienced players out there...

I love Stealthsuits - they are going to fill a mobile anti-Infantry role in my Army. The problem is I don't want to buy another boxed set of 3 Stealth Suits just so I can add one more model, as I can only really afford one points wise.

But I like beefy, larger squads. So if Is it possible for me to add 2 Gun Drones to my Stealth Squad? Would they still benefit from the Stealth Generator? Do I need to add 3 gun drones, since it says in the Codex if 1 Stealth Model is given battlesuit wargear, every model must have battlesuit wargear?

Is adding 2 or 3 gundrones to a Stealthsuit Squad a decent way to make the squad a little bigger, add a little more anti-infantry fire, and save some money and points?
Old 24 Aug 2008, 17:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not sure about effectivness and stuff but yes, the drones would recieve the stealth field. Also, I think the rule is if one has wargear the others have to have some too but not neccesarily the same items.

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote