Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Gens VS Shield Drones
Old 21 Aug 2008, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Shield Gens VS Shield Drones

With the new wound allocation rules in the 5th edition, isn't it better to spend the extra points and take 2 Sheild Drones than a Sheild Generator? Plus the Drones can be taken as a Hard Wired Option, whereas the Generator cannot. Any thoughts?
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Sheild Gens VS Sheild Drones

I'm fairly new to Tau so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt. :-X

Taking a Shield Drone over the Generator has its merits because, like you said, it provides extra wounds to allocate, as well as being a hard-wired option. In addition, you'll also have some extra (but rather cruddy) attacks you can make if you're caught in assault. I think some people prefer the Generator because once those drones are gone (i.e. from a Powerfist and such) you'll be stuck without an invulnerable save, making your suits susceptible again to Instant Death.

The Generator on the other hand cannot be destroyed, and is what I usually equip on my Shas'O with (since he doesn't need a targeting array and anything else can usually be found as a hard-wired option). However, if you've got the extra points that you really can't spend anywhere else, I would recommend the Drones.

Coincidentally, does anyone know if Drones and Generators convey the Invulnerable Save to the entire squad? Or is it just the puchasing model?
Old 21 Aug 2008, 01:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunny
With the new wound allocation rules in the 5th edition, isn't it better to spend the extra points and take 2 Sheild Drones than a Sheild Generator? Plus the Drones can be taken as a Hard Wired Option, whereas the Generator cannot. Any thoughts?
due to the new wound allocations you are probably better off taking Gun Drones in place of shield drones. The main difference is that Gun drones add to your fire power but can not absorb power attacks and shots that deny armour saves, and shield drones well, they can attempt to save against those hits.

The reason why I say Gun drones are better is because by bringing shield drones you might still not be able to sluff off shots or hits that deny your armour on the drones. Predators for example can fire 3 lascannon shots (I believe, 1 on top and 1 on each side). If you have 1 Suit and 2 shield drones and your opponent lands all 3 hits you have to allocate 1 of the 3 wounds to your suit meaning he will die anyway and you lose the drones regardless.

Of course if you are running Suits that are generally in cover (Deathrain) for example then the wound allocation is pretty moot since they will get a save anyways. One reason why I give my broadsides Gun drones or marker drones.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 01:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I know that Generators only confer the invulnerable to the model with it(wouldn't make much sense if it gave it to the rest of the unit). But I'm not sure about Drones.

I like Drones better than shield generators personally. The generator takes up a hard point that could be used on TA if you're running an 'El, or the option of a 3-weapon hard wired multi tracker "O.

There is always the very wild idea of running both with the new Reserve list. A normal Shas'o commander, a Shas'el with a Positional Relay, shield Gen, shield drones, etc. then with a bunch of Crisis suits in reserve.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 01:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Very well put. This is exactly the type of things I was thinking of. But don't the Drones have one up because if the save is failed, the drone is killed and the all important crisis suit does not take the wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controls
Coincidentally, does anyone know if Drones and Generators convey the Invulnerable Save to the entire squad? Or is it just the puchasing model?
Unfortuanately, only the models that are equipped with a Generator has a 4+ invulnerable save, it does not convey to the entire squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magickrat4
due to the new wound allocations you are probably better off taking Gun Drones in place of shield drones. The main difference is that Gun drones add to your fire power but can not absorb power attacks and shots that deny armour saves, and shield drones well, they can attempt to save against those hits.
Gun drones add in an interesting mix. However, for an extra 5 points you get a drone that make a save against those shots that deny regular armour saves, but you do lose some carbine shots.
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 01:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

True Aunny, I think it depends on the type of army you are facing. Heavy Firepower small amount of shots Might be better off with Shield drones. Also, if it is not an annihilation match use Gun drones from off your heads to convey a 4+ to your suits across the table.

It pretty much comes down to personal preference. If you generally keep your suits near cover to JSJ into and out of you are probably better off adding Gun drones for the extra shots since the whole unit will be getting a 4+ regardless.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 01:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I think one dorne is not useful if you have to play against force weapons. Taking tow wounds in close combat will get you instakilled and both will die. Also shield generators will not help if you enemy shoot normal guns at you. Shield drones also make it harder to hide by jump shoot jump. On Ics drones are not good since they do not have a rule that protects them from singling out the Ic in combat. The problem withthe generator is that If you fail one invulnerable save form a lascannon the suit dies. A buried powerfist will kill an o with drones because he will just get targeted and then the drones die when the controller dies.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 02:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innes
I know that Generators only confer the invulnerable to the model with it(wouldn't make much sense if it gave it to the rest of the unit). But I'm not sure about Drones.
They do not give an invulnerable save to anything but themselves. Since the controlling player decides how wounding hits are allocated, you just assign Instant Death low AP hits to the drones. Until you run out of drones, anyway.

Quote:
I like Drones better than shield generators personally. The generator takes up a hard point that could be used on TA if you're running an 'El, or the option of a 3-weapon hard wired multi tracker "O.

There is always the very wild idea of running both with the new Reserve list. A normal Shas'o commander, a Shas'el with a Positional Relay, shield Gen, shield drones, etc. then with a bunch of Crisis suits in reserve.
It's not that wild an idea, although it's less useful in 5th edition than it was in 4th. I used to run an indestructible but very expensive terminator-killing command squad of 3 suits with shield generators and 6 shield drones. As others have mentioned, if you're likely to go up against Power or Force Weapons you will want to have a generator. If you just want some protection against armor piercing Instant Death weapons (lascannons, plasma cannons, lances, seeker missiles, etc.) then the drones are more cost-effective.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 11:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To me it really depends on the units job. i have one shas'o running with a generator and a marker drone who never really gets close to the enemy, the othe shas'o is an up in your face tank hunting deepstriker who needs as much protection as he can. since drones take on the characteristics of the controller, an extra set of 2+/4+ saves is a nice thing to have when i know i will be taking a ton of fire back when he blows up your tank.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 18:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

For commanders, I'm much too enamored with the ability to jump into a 12 strong FW unit for 12 ablative wounds (or a gun drone squadron for 4-8, or Deathrains, or Broadsides with Shield Drones, or... well, you get the idea) to ever put shield drones on THEM. I almost never use Shield Generators, as I tend to field 2 weapon/TA commanders, and they're too expensive for a mere Shas'vre.

I will, as I mentioned earlier, put them on a Broadside TmLd... the ability to soak up 2 AP 2 wounds (most of which will insta-kill the broadside) and potentially not even die are totally worth it, in my opinion. Plasma shots I'm usually comfortable putting on the broadsides - it's only 1 wound, and if i'm fielding 2 broadsides, they have different wargear - two wounds can be spread out successfully across the broadsides, leaving me with just as much firepower as ever, hopefully. Less so for crisis suits, generally, as they're generally behind cover of some kind (which makes gun drones nearly as good, if not AS good, at soaking up the same sort of weaponry).