Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Invunerable saves question
Old 20 Aug 2008, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Invunerable saves question

If perchance a tau crisis battlesuit had a shield drone and a shield gen. Would he get two 4+ invulnerable saves?

-Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

-never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience"

-"There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists."
Luker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 02:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: Invunerable saves question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker47

If perchance a tau crisis battlesuit had a shield drone and a shield gen. Would he get two 4+ invulnerable saves?
Shield drones as a separate model - they don't grant the crisis suit an invulnerable save, though they do have one of their own.

But in a way, yes - if you have 2 lascannon shots come, one can go to the drone (which gets it's invuln save) and one can go to the suit and it's invuln save.
Old 20 Aug 2008, 02:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oops... I thought the shield droid accompanied the crisis therefore the crisis befitted from is shield. What good IS a shield drone then?

-never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience"

Old 20 Aug 2008, 02:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Giving a shield drone to a unit that can't get an invulnerable save like the broadsides.

But thats about all I use them for.

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The shield drone is designed to die protecting the suit. According to the Codex the drones have a simple AI that is programed to protect the Tau. So when the drone recognizes incoming fire that can harm the suit, the drones program tells it to get in front of the shot and take the hit. That way the crisis suit lives to fight another day. Just another shining example of the Greater Good!
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 11:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use a lot of gun drone and shield drones for cannon fodder in a valuable crisis unit (EG: tank hunters).
Old 21 Aug 2008, 19:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Uhh.. I guess I understand.. Thanks!

Old 22 Aug 2008, 21:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Okay so lets say you've got a Crisis suit (no shield generator) accompanied by a shield drone, and they take two AP 3 hits. One wound gets allocated to the drone (and thus it's 4+ invulnerable save) and the other to the suit, so the suit doesn't get any saves, right? Whereas if the suit and drone took one AP 3 shot the wound could be allocated to the drone (and it's 4+ invulnerable again) and if it failed the drone would die, leaving the suit un-harmed... right? So the shield drones are sort of an ablative wound with a 4+ invulnerable save? I must confess I was never completely sure how that would work game-mechanic wise :-[
Old 22 Aug 2008, 22:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sheild drones are fun and will save my commanders bacon probably 1 game out of three (which is enough reason to take them, in my opinion). But as crisis suits are harder to hide and independant characters can now be picked out by enemy fire I take that drone just to protect from a stray krak missile, and I'm glad I have. It won me an assasination game (kill opponents HQ) in a tounament too.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 23:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil Kemorya
Okay so lets say you've got a Crisis suit (no shield generator) accompanied by a shield drone, and they take two AP 3 hits. One wound gets allocated to the drone (and thus it's 4+ invulnerable save) and the other to the suit, so the suit doesn't get any saves, right? Whereas if the suit and drone took one AP 3 shot the wound could be allocated to the drone (and it's 4+ invulnerable again) and if it failed the drone would die, leaving the suit un-harmed... right? So the shield drones are sort of an ablative wound with a 4+ invulnerable save? I must confess I was never completely sure how that would work game-mechanic wise :-[
Thats right. It gets even more fun when you have 2 shield drones, because the rules say you MUST remove whole wound models first. Meaning your forced to assign the first shot to the drone. which is why some people will shoot your suit with small gunfire first, then the harder stuff, hoping to take the drone out of the equation.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote