Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

BS or HH?
Closed Thread
Old 07 May 2005, 07:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default BS or HH?

I have 1 sqaud of 2 BS and 2 HH for my heavy support slots, and I play a mech style with a static part which is the BS and kroot. The kroot are generally infiltrated in woods 12", but if ther are no woods on the table that are large enough they just stay in cover next to my BS unit creating a static fire base.

But these guys always tend to die because everyone seem to charge at my firebase since everything else is moving. Im unsure weither this might be a good thing keeping my opponents busy trying to kill the fire base. Would it be better to just use 3 HH for my hea vy support? Or should I stick with my plan?

Edit by RJay: Added punctuation to solve issues. So could you please attempt to use some punctuation just to split it up and make it more legible, so i have less to do. Of course your posts dont have to be perfect by any means, so just give it a try.Thankyou...

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 07 May 2005, 07:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: BS or HH?

well, I had a little trouble understanding that, please use proper english, with full stops, makes it easier for everyone (sorry if english isnt your first language, then we undestand )

3 HH is much better, in a purist mech tau no kroot either, the enemies gonna go for your firebase because they can feasibly catch it as it has to stand still
Old 07 May 2005, 11:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
i have 1sqaud of 2 BS and 2HH for my hvy i play a mech style the only static is the BS and kroot that is infiltrated in woods 12" 12" but if no wood on the table are that big they just stay in cover next to my BS unit for my static fire base but iwas thinking these guys always die because every any use that to charge at since evrything else is moving i notice that which mite be a good thing keeping them busy try to kill that fire base would it be better to just use 3 HH for my hevy ? or stick with the plan
Jesus. i read the first line and could go no further. Please, as moderator of CAUSE (campaign for accurate use of sensible english) I ask you to write your post legibly. I'm not trying to insult you. THere are people here for whom english is not their first language, and they might have problems reading it. Or me, as I'm too thick to read l33t. I don't even care about spelling that much. But a few full stops and commas, and that would make it a lot nicer.

Hammerheads are a better option than broadsides, in every respect under 4th ed rules.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 May 2005, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wow, some people can be so arrogant. Leave the guy alone. OK so we all prefer a nice piece of readable writing (I for one definetely do, but I am mindful), but some people can't either because English isn't their main language or that it is and they are dyslexic or that they are lazy. Also, frank you posted at 3 AM, did a night on the town spark a little Tau-related tactica?

As for the question, I have been thinking about it a lot. Are 3 Railguns (Thats presuming your fielding 3 Railheads) enough in 1500+ battles? Railheads are undeniably a brilliant unit, why would you not take 3 ? Because BS Suits add more Railguns for cheaper, and the SMS is useful when your opponent starts getting near. Thing is, most targets that are of Railgun importance can be tackled by Missile Pods a.k.a. your Fireknifes and Commander which as we all know are a lot more mobile. So you could get 3 Railheads and enough Missile Pods and you should be covered? Yes? No? Or you could drop a Hammerhead and switch to a BS team (Any of you Tau Players out there not using up all your HS slots... for shame )

It's quite a debate at the moment (In my head anyway, because I am planning a 1850 Tau list) so I think it would be interesting to see what the rest of you think.
Old 07 May 2005, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi0N
Wow, some people can be so arrogant. Leave the guy alone. OK so we all prefer a nice piece of readable writing (I for one definetely do, but I am mindful), but some people can't either because English isn't their main language or that it is and they are dyslexic or that they are lazy. Also, frank you posted at 3 AM, did a night on the town spark a little Tau-related tactica?

As for the question, I have been thinking about it a lot. Are 3 Railguns (Thats presuming your fielding 3 Railheads) enough in 1500+ battles? Railheads are undeniably a brilliant unit, why would you not take 3 ? Because BS Suits add more Railguns for cheaper, and the SMS is useful when your opponent starts getting near. Thing is, most targets that are of Railgun importance can be tackled by Missile Pods a.k.a. your Fireknifes and Commander which as we all know are a lot more mobile. So you could get 3 Railheads and enough Missile Pods and you should be covered? Yes? No? Or you could drop a Hammerhead and switch to a BS team (Any of you Tau Players out there not using up all your HS slots... for shame )

It's quite a debate at the moment (In my head anyway, because I am planning a 1850 Tau list) so I think it would be interesting to see what the rest of you think.
yes english is my worst subject im sorry ifor my post i just love to learn but i dont want to make any one mad. im playing a 1850pt game but i only have two BS one has TL PR glued on so i can change it out but in a 1850pt i still dont know BS have to take LD test to shoot at any thing far away but 2 TL RG has a better chance of hiting the one right ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 07 May 2005, 17:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

It completly depends on what your playing style is...you seem to have a good idea with the BS, but they are just static fodder with your mech army...I would suggest getting a 3rd hammerhead for mech players, as 2 broadsides geared up cost the same amout of points anyways... ^-^
Old 07 May 2005, 17:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi0N

Read my spelling post in the suggestions forum. I don't want grammatically perfect english. Jesus, I'm Irish, and we have the best standard of english in the world and I can't spell everything right! I've said it before, and i'll say it again: I can understand how someone with dyslexia or someone for whom english isn't their first language (hey, i put up with my dutch relatives' high school english with no bother) will have problems, but i have a huge issue with "l33t" and lack of punctuations. THe post was l33t had no full stops, comas or whatever and was impossible for me to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
yes english is my worst subject im sorry ifor my post i just love to learn but i dont want to make any one mad. im playing a 1850pt game but i only have two BS one has TL PR* glued on so i can change it out but in a 1850pt i still dont know BS have to take LD test to shoot at any thing far away* but 2 TL RG has a better chance of hiting the one right ?
Frank, you're not pissing anyone off, least of all me. Please, Just try and type someway half decently. Your posts that Ive seen have been sound, so I'm not out to get you. But l33t is not cool.

THey have to take a leadership test, as per standard rules. But they test at ld8, and if you have an etherial, you can re-roll a failed test. So thats a 1/9 chance of failing.
2 twin linked railguns will likely hit at least once/ turn which is good. But, look at the full picture. A sinlge lascannon shot will happily melt a 70+ point broadside, but a hammerhead has a very very decent chance of shrugging it off. THen theres the sheer lack of mobility of the broadside (read "Sitting duck" or "charge!") while the hammerhead can zip around 12" a turn and unload everything with the right upgrades.

My money will ALWAYS go on the hammerhead.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 07 May 2005, 21:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

In 1850 3 HH would always be the way I'd go barring stupidly different opposing armies like AC and such.

the BS are really for 1500pts where 3 HH sometimes gets called cheese (even then I might be tempted to go 3 HH)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 May 2005, 21:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Christ way to mess the guy up over some spelling errors, bug off. Frank in a mech style army 3 hammerheads is usually better; this leaves your opponent wondering which unit to go after, versus that single squad of broadsides sitting in the trees. If any, you should only use kroot with that type of army; if you want to use broadsides, make your list more hybrid. Add some more static troops so all the attention isn't focused on your broadside squad.
Old 07 May 2005, 21:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VV1LD
if you want to use broadsides, make your list more hybrid. Add some more static troops so all the attention isn't focused on your broadside squad.
this I disagree with, a one BS hybrid army is the best kind of Hybrid (Kroot are part of the Mechatau arsenal) and I dont see the problem, if you are buzzing in their face with HH and Suits and fishes, they shouldnt have time to go BS hunting, not to mention the Kroot before they get there, and if they do, kill the tasked unit :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread