Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Co. (army background, CC appreciated)
Old 19 Aug 2008, 11:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default The Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Co. (army background, CC appreciated)

OK, since the Chaos army hasn't had anything bought for it and with a new edition of 40K out I thought I'd go back to my Tau, and redo the army. So my background for it is basically inspired in part by Fishy's "Gunz Workshop" boyz, and the Honorable East India Trading Company from the 17th-18th Century and probably a few other things as well.

I would like constructive criticism on it so that I may improve it. So without further ado:

[hr]

The Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Co.

The HEFTC or simply ETC was created during the second sphere of expansion by the late Aun’el’dal'yth'll’fannor. Fannor saw the growing expansion of the empire and recognised that a single central government managing all supplies to the Empire would not be practical. Whilst the septs themselves had their own governing bodies, the expansion forces of the empire would be slowed down by resource gathering and setting up governing bodies on newly occupied worlds. To prevent this Fannor set up the ETC, with the intention that it would be state controlled, yet self governed. A Consortium of individuals were selected from amongst the highest ranking Water and Ethereal caste members to lead the ETC. The coalition is entirely self sufficient, and has its own armed forces, made up of Fire caste members from across the empire and frequently relies on Auxiliary forces. The Company's main base of operations is its fleet, manned by Air caste pilots from across the empire. The flagship is named the Run’Vattra and every replacement is given the same name. This is where the Consortium meets to discuss the coalition's actions.

The ETC’s primary function is to acquire resources for the Empire. This can be anything from technology, Supplies or even land in the name of the Empire. When necessary the Coalition will send in their own armed forces. The Cadre of the ETC makes full advantage of Auxiliary forces, and it is common for around a quarter of most cadre's to be made up of a contingent of Kroot, Vespid and even local garrison forces. When assaulting enemy territory a strike force of infiltrators will be sent down to gather intelligence and find a place to set up a base of operations within as close a striking distance to the target as possible. Once a desired location is found Earth caste builders are sent down to build a Run’al complex, gradually fortifying and expanding as the Cadre is sent down to garrison it. From this complex the Project commander will often send varying strike forces out from the complex to probe for weaknesses within the enemy army, before utilising this information to construct a battle plan for a final strike, following all normal Tau tactical doctrine. Once a hostile territory has been claimed then a headquarters is set up there, The earth caste will deconstruct the base used by the hunter cadre and fortify the territory, using parts of the operations such as stealth field and shield generators, as well as raw materials and computers. As this takes place a small group of water caste diplomats are sent down to manage the outpost, and earth cast builders to ensure its function. A garrison of troops will be left behind to defend it should the need arise, these are often composed primarily of auxiliary forces with a small Tau contingent. The outpost is then ready to start supplying the Empire, and the ETC will organise a transport run using one of its “Trade fleets”.

However, Like most Tau the ETC prefer to avoid conflict where possible, instead preferring to attempt to negotiate a peaceful trade agreement with planetary governors of the Imperium (with whom they have the most frequent contact) In addition to trade, the ETC acquires resources through a black market and piracy enterprise. The black market sector generates a small yet frequent income to the Empire, whereby obsolete technology is flogged in the Underhives and back streets of many planets in the Imperium that are near the eastern Fringe. Much of the profit generated from this market is varied, from Imperium currency to useful information that can be instrumental in toppling governments and all forms of trinkets.

Piracy is a highly risky but profitable part of the ETC. The main fleet itself reserves itself for full scale battle, but it does from time to time send raiding fleets to harass ships on trade routes. In order to maintain good relations the ETC has a code of practice, that states they ask a cargo vessel to surrender a portion of its goods in relation to the value and quantity for safe passage. If a trade fleet refuses to do so the Tau fleet will open fire and take as much cargo as is physically possible by force.

Trade within the Empire itself is generally governed by the Septs themselves, and the ETC generally imports most of its assets to T’au every kai’rotta to utilise as they see fit. With a single purpose and self sufficient organisation the Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Coalition is able to continue its role in fuelling the Empire.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Co. (army background, CC appreciated)

That sounds like nice fluff, I still don't get how people write lonnnnggg articles- you must lose the will to live...

They should at least get rewarded...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Honourable Eastern Fringe Trading Co. (army background, CC appreciated)

Very nice fluff there, I really like the sound of it. I can see lots potential for conversions and a nicely themed army. Flagged for karma .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks guys, My next port of call it to write up some stuff on notable members within the coalition and perhaps a short story as well.

In the meantime here's a draft of the colour scheme I'm looking at, any comments or suggestions will be welcome:

Also, the company symbol will be the one in my Avatar, but without the battlesuits in the background, I'll try and find a plain one in the future. :P
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So... the symbol will be square shaped? ???

The scheme is just what I'd want it to be like .
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

I was thinking about the square just now :P

I like the crescents in it, as I was trying for something similar to the ETC's flag, which was this

But then it should be more circular for a Tau symbol.

*Runs off to serif to work on it*
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

How do you get images off B+C. :P

Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:49   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Maybe a bit of gold, Hadhfang
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar face
How do you get images off B+C. :P

Photobucket, Copy and save them to your PC then upload them there,

@ Zenny, yes, there will be some gold in there, I could do the sept symbol gold, and of course there's the gold on the gun where the massive screwdriver goes. :P
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Now what we need is a consortium of Eldar Pirates to unleash a God and wipe you out in an overly showy display of pyrotechnics.

I wonder if Biel Tan has an Avatar of Khaine we can "borrow". :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote