Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Where do they come from?
Old 19 Aug 2008, 00:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Where do they come from?

I mean the farsight enclave...

Do most of the "citizens" of the enclave leave the empire, or are they born there?
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 01:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer
Default Re: Where do they come from?

The Farsight Enclaves were founded ca. 765.M41 when O'Shovah took a massive colonization fleet to the border of the Damocles Gulf and cut contact with the Empire.

Since no contact has yet been made with them in over two hundred years, it can be inferred that the Tau who live there were either born there or granted the miraculous gift of an extended lifespan.

Aun'shi is leading an expedition into the area of the Enclaves in order to figure out what's up, but he hasn't been heard from yet.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmm guess that would mean it isnt a all frat boys party.

There are some females then. Maybe they have strict guidelines for newborns, and population control.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 06:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
hmm guess that would mean it isnt a all frat boys party.

There are some females then. Maybe they have strict guidelines for newborns, and population control.
Tau Females are omnipresent in Tau society. That squad of Firewarriors running across the battlefield, taking cover in ancient ruins against deadly Gauss fire? Most likely 50% female. Same is true with that team of Fio over there, repairing your downed Speeder, or the crew of the Manta that has just vaporised an enire tank company of the Guard.

So, I doubt O`Shova has any shortage of females; as a matter of fact, I think that breeding is actually LESS stringent in the Farsight Enclaves than it is in the Empire itself - numerous sources seem to hint that breeding is highly regulated (partners are assigned to each other, etc.) through a central "breeding bureau" on T`au (and regular sub-offices as well, most probably). Without those massive databanks, I think the Enclaves would have a more lax approach to this whole business...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 06:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

but with demand of supplies, wouldnt that say something else?

the tales say that farsight sells his services to others, in return for money, technology, and supplies.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 18:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Any "splinter" group would need a few things.

1: Access to raw materials and supplies.
2: A vast enough gene pool to continue the population
3: Knowledge enough to build up the society to a level that the colonists would find comfortable.

If they have a planet, they probably have the raw materials, but not the machinery to havest them. This would probably not be on a colony ship if you were expecting support from the Empire. They would need to figure out some way of getting this heavy machinery and trade would be the most logical of the routes. The Enclave would have tech to trade, but this tech can be gotten from standard Tau merchants and the more tech you sell, the more you would have to replace. So they would have to have something "different", mainly Tau warriors. It would be the most plentiful of the resources brought from the Tau Empire and it would be a renewable resource more plentiful then trading tech which is a one shot deal.

This would require a departure from the philosophy of the "Greater Good", marking personnel as no longer being nonexpendable and turning them into a commodity, much like our military today. While I can see them doing this in the name of society at large, it does place the needs of the colonists before the needs of the Fire Caste.

Population, they were a colonization force. They would have the population to go on. Knowledge to build a society also gets answered by this. The would at least have some artisans that could build, and with 200 years, train additional artisans. Fluff says that Tau mature quickly, but is that quickly to a Tau which lives 2000 years and matures in 200, or are we looking at Tau mature in days and live only years. I have not found answers to this yet.

It is perfectly feasible that after 200 years, O'Shova is still in command and that the same colonists, plus new offspring are building there own little world.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 20:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

right, thanks for the answers everyone!
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2008, 23:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
The Farsight Enclaves were founded ca. 765.M41 when O'Shovah took a massive colonization fleet to the border of the Damocles Gulf and cut contact with the Empire.

Since no contact has yet been made with them in over two hundred years, it can be inferred that the Tau who live there were either born there or granted the miraculous gift of an extended lifespan.

Aun'shi is leading an expedition into the area of the Enclaves in order to figure out what's up, but he hasn't been heard from yet.
where the hell do you people find this stuff out??? i wish i knew :'(
Old 21 Aug 2008, 00:29   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcius Fisher (Zechs)
where the hell do you people find this stuff out??? i wish i knew :'(
It is fluff for the O'Shovah entry from the original Tau Codex. A lot more fluff about the special characters and things like the Damocles Crusade in that one.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2008, 03:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

That was a very well thought out answer ranzin927 but another thing that you forgot to mention is the fact that in a society where the most common skill and trade is that of the warrior then this society is most likely to put this skill to use for itself rather than selling themselves out as mercenaries.

There's little evidence to support that the Farsight Enclaves have actually done this at all besides your admittedly well thought out educated guess. However, to me it's more likely that if they needed something they simply took it by force.

There's plenty of ways theoretical ways they could have done this. They need raw materials? Find an Ork mining facility and kill all of the largest Orks. Leave the Grots and since you're now the largest thing that they see their instinctive cowardice makes them likely to do what you say.

You could then take some of these raw materials and trade it with Rogue traders who still operate on the borders of Tau space or perhaps even with Eldar Craft worlds. The possibilities are pretty limitless.

I liked your ideas. I just dont see too much evidence that this is the case. Given commander farsight and commander brightswords combined histories with Orks and Humans I could easily see them enslaving every grot and human they've encountered in their travels and putting them to work for their enclaves.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote