Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Purple as a sept color???
Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Purple as a sept color???

Hey guys. I am looking at using purple as my sept color. For one, i plan to use a yellow for my armor plates and black as an undersuit. After looking thru the book, and debating, i really want to stay away from red as a sept color, because i know it works with yellow i was leaning towards it, but red is so often seen with yellow i want to do something else. Also i wasn't thrilled using vior'la as my sept, the hot natured doesn't really appeal to the army for me.
So my options other than red were to use either Hawk turquoise and make my cadre come from borkan, use a dark blue but not sure what sept would have that as there colors, or go with purple, again the sept is open for options. In dawn of war, they use purple for daly'th, but nothing says its official. I really want to avoid a dark blue because it reminds me to much of iyanden colors. So after some test models using some old gun drones, the turquoise is just too bright a blue, so that option was removed. It didn't look as good with the yellow. So my only option is purple.

Now for the question, Which Sept do i go with using purple? Basically if i am gonna use a sept, i plan to use one that hasn't been given an official sept color. I Also want the sept to be somewhat tied to on teh advancement of technology, as i plan to convert a shadowsun model to use as my commander(going with the theory that my commander has been granted access to also test the XV-22 suit) so my sept would need to be on the front lines of expansion.

So far, the sept colors that are official are Tau, Sa'cea, Kel'shan, Bork'an, D'yanoi, Vior'la, and Au'taal. In dawn of war, they also give colors for Tau'n(as a yellow), and Fal'shia(as a dark green), as well as Dal'yth that they gave purple(but was red in first codex). So that leaves me with using Elsy'eir, N'dras, Tash'var, Vash'ya, T'olku, Fi'rios, and Ksi'm'yen. I am avoiding N'dras since in the discription they are reguarded as being untrustworthy. So that sept would less likely get access to experiemental equipment. I also want to avoid T'olku because i don't plan to use etherals and the description seems to suggest a higher concentration of ethereals there.

So out of the following septs, which do you guys think might favor the purple more?
Elsy'eir-- Known for there artisist side. I can see purple as a regal color and they are well respected because of there creativeness. Could explain using new tech somewhat.
Tash'var--These guys i don't know about. They are hardy and courageous and practical. Not sure if they would get new tech, they have dealt alot with orcs, and not really favoring the fluff, seems to be a bit agressive due to there past relations with orcs.
Vash'ya-- These guys could work, i could tie in the yellow armor a bit, since they have alot of air caste. I could say they wear the yellow armor as a sign of the suns/stars light. The purple could be tied to it i guess in some sense.
Fi'rios-- A new sept, so purple could be associated with them too. They are on the edge of the expansion so my commander could have access to the new tech since he could have been part of the founding of the sept or something.
Ksi'm'yen-- same as fi'rios, but i don't care for the this septs name really nor there sept icon. Seems kinda bland and more of a collaberation of other septs than its own sept.

So far...those are the options. Which septs do you guys think would go best with purple as the sept color, and having yellow armor(could be a ceremonial armor btw). Personally i am learning towards Fi'rios or elsy'eir, seems to be the easiest fluff wise to link to the colors and the technology usage.

Thanks in advance, any help, suggestions or even pointing me towards more official sources would be great. I plan to get started with assembling of some of my troops and trying to get started on some painting. So maybe i will get some pics up soon of my tau force. And yes..i am a bit longwinded. Guess thats from being a stay at home dad and spending all my days surrounded by my little ones.
Childofdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Purple as a sept color???

The short answer is: The Sept that uses purple is any Sept you wish them to use it.

Even with the official Sept color it doesn't cover every terrain/situation they will encounter so variation can occur. For Exemple; my tau are from Ksi'm'yen (but originally from N'dras) I will use Bad moon Yellow as Sept color (to go with my Light Blue/Light Green scheme)...many other players uses the N'dras and the Ksi'm'yen and give them different color...so it's all good.

Plus keep in mind nothing prevents you to make your own Sept with a seperate fluff and with Purple as Sept color.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Three questions.

Can you make up your own sept as I was thinking on mordian blue cloths and black, highlighted armour with bad moon yellow as sept colour...

Idiot question, but what does hot-natured mean..

Also, in the codex voir'la is shown as a desert camoflage, but when I typed in voir'la showcase onto the internet, it came up with voir'la as complete red...

Couldanyone explain this please.

Thanks,
scar face...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes you can make your own sept.

It's not an idiot question; hot-natured usually means prone to anger/violence, or at least more so than normal.

Each sept does not have a set colour scheme, they will change their colours to blend in with the environment when possible. Colour schemes that have no relation to their surroundings are usually ceremonial colours.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, thanks.

Hot-natured sounds like me all over..

I'll go for some of the army Voir'la in the codex and a bit my jet black scheme.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Your welcome.

Heh, I'm sure you're a nice guy.

Do you mean to say you plan on a Vior'la army using a jet black colour scheme you've come up with? Sorry, I can't quite understand.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, thats what I mean .

Typing gets a bit mixed up sometimes- sorry.

cheers, scar face.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, no problem. If this happens often to you maybe try reading through what you write before, or even after you post, to see whether it makes sense or not .
Old 19 Aug 2008, 16:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

This is what I meant..

Oh, dear can someone help me with getting my FW design off B+C.

thanks,
Old 19 Aug 2008, 21:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go with Ksi'm'yen. They conqured their world using stealth, so the granting of an XV-22 to the commander of a Stealth orrinted sept would make sense, instead of flying around in those big old bulky XV-8's that a half blind dog could see.

Also, purple is a dark color, while the Shade's I used for my Ksi'm'yen sept are, which would fit in with the Stealth teams. Also, Iyanden yellow is a good contrasting color to the purple shade. I use it as panneling on my vehicles.

Current 2010 Tau recored
1-0-0
xv-8 is offline   Reply With Quote