Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to purchase next?
Old 18 Aug 2008, 19:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What to purchase next?

I've been collecting Tau since they've come out and have only played a handful of games with them. My main army that I've been building were Blood Angels, and I've reached 3600 points with them, and can't take painting them anymore. So i decided to move back and expand my tau. So far I've been proxying models that I was missing but have never played more than 1000 points worth. By the way I'm leaning towards suits as i really like how they look, but I still like the general firewarrior too. All in all I have about 696 points if I max them out (and will use them that way for all games).
So, heres what I currently own:

Ethereal - Don't really need him
24 Firewarriors with markerlight upgrade
8 Drones
3 Broadsides.

Before anyone says it, yes I know I need a commander, and It will be the first thing I get, but other then that I'm not sure as I don't have much experience using them. Thanks for the input.

I am Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What to purchase next?

Get the Sky Ray Box, it has the parts for all three variants of the 'fish body. Don't glue the turrets on and you can swap them out for whatever you like. If you want to really get into the army, I'd buy quite a few Crisis Suits, and at least another squad because of 5th. You could get the Devilfish APC box with Fire Warriors and field fairly healthy teams with some transports to move them around as you feel neccessary. I think that's a good start, and they're general enough to have a good Take all comers kind of army. For more specialized targets, get Stealth Suits for hordes, get Sniper Drones for MEQ's, and Kroot if you feel you get into melee too much. my two cents!
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 21:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Are stealth suits really all that great? Because I like the new models, but I keep looking at their rules, and they're nothing fancy.

Old 18 Aug 2008, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've never had good luck with them. The stealth rolls always kill me. That being said the burst cannons are really good for hoards like IG and Nids if you can figure out how to protect them for CC. If you can find one, get the Tau Insertion Force. 9 crisis suits, a ton of drones and 4 stealth suits. Comes out to something like half off retail. Don't know if you'll be able to find one.

The sky ray is a good call too. Like Dreamshift said, just don't glue the turret on and you have all 3 tank frames you can use. If your good at converting as well, you can modify the nose mount to accept the burst cannon or the sensors.

I've never played with Kroot, and i'm not so fond of the vespid. With the new 5th rules about leadership and cover saves I think a set of pathfinders would be a good investment too. But remember they require a devilfish transport.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 00:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

I would suggest devilfish too. You do not need hammerheads or sky rays if you are taking broadsides that much. Devilfish make taking and holding objectives a lot easier. The other choices other then sniper drones could be a hammerhead with an ion cannon. Sure the skyray box lets you get all three variants along with the parts to put a smart missile system. However it does not come with drones. I Had good luck in cc in 4Th ed with stealths however there cc ability has been nerfed by frag grenades counting as plasma. Also steathsuits Can get hurt badly with lash of submission. This force does not look like. Why 9 suits that is a bit of overkill. It is hared to hide that many.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would suggest a devilfish(the sky ray box for more uses) then 1-2 crisis teams(the rapid insertion set is a steal).

Have fun with the greater good.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 01:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
I would suggest devilfish too. You do not need hammerheads or sky rays if you are taking broadsides that much. Devilfish make taking and holding objectives a lot easier. The other choices other then sniper drones could be a hammerhead with an ion cannon. Sure the skyray box lets you get all three variants along with the parts to put a smart missile system. However it does not come with drones. I Had good luck in cc in 4Th ed with stealths however there cc ability has been nerfed by frag grenades counting as plasma. Also steathsuits Can get hurt badly with lash of submission. This force does not look like. Why 9 suits that is a bit of overkill. It is hared to hide that many.
9 suits because sooner or later you'll want to play with more. At least I did. Plus, unless you magnetize your suits, you'll want more then 1 variant. PLus if buy the sky ray, you have the parts in case someday you don't want to use 3 broadsides. though the 3 pretty much give you all the S10 you need. Pie plates are our friends too.

How do you use your sniper drones Doctor? Again., this is another Tau unit I don't have much luck with. They have heavy weapons, so i can't move and shoot, so if i'm forced to move, i waste at least a turn getting to where i need to be. Also, I only have 1 team.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 19 Aug 2008, 01:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If you like the suits, I say go for them. They're good looking and pack a huge wallop. They're also good because they bring in more specialized guns (such as the Plasma Rifle and the Missile Pod), not seen in any other unit. Depending on how you play, and who you face, you'll wanna configure them differently and use them in various ways.

I'm also pretty fond of Stealth Suits. Great for laying down a huge amount of Dakka and infiltrating. Just don't rely on the stealth field. I haven't had much luck with it.

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 02:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks for all the input. That sky ray box sounds like a good start at least. And looking over the crisis suit rules again I think I'll get two full units with twinlinked plasmaguns +shield generator or targeting array. It's 75 points but nothing will get close enough to these so I'm not worried about losses too much. As far as the devilfish is concerened, that may be a unit for much later in the purchase list. I like the broadsides, I've used these to great effect against my three main opponents: my friends using Blood Angels, Tyranids, and spacewolves. Especially now in 5th, I think tau will dominate the field.

Maybe I'll get one stealth suit unit. Everyone else seems to be using them at the GW I go to once in a while.

Also, to The Canadian Snowbird. Are you one of the pilots?

Old 19 Aug 2008, 03:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legion
Thanks for all the input. That sky ray box sounds like a good start at least. And looking over the crisis suit rules again I think I'll get two full units with twinlinked plasmaguns +shield generator or targeting array. It's 75 points but nothing will get close enough to these so I'm not worried about losses too much. As far as the devilfish is concerened, that may be a unit for much later in the purchase list. I like the broadsides, I've used these to great effect against my three main opponents: my friends using Blood Angels, Tyranids, and spacewolves. Especially now in 5th, I think tau will dominate the field.

Maybe I'll get one stealth suit unit. Everyone else seems to be using them at the GW I go to once in a while.

Also, to The Canadian Snowbird. Are you one of the pilots?
If you do go with the twin-linked, you don't need the target array. For twin linked weapons at BS 3, the hit ratio is 75%. Adding the array jumps it to somewhere around 93%. with 6 suits, thats 4 vs 5 hits. i guess it might make a difference, but i'd go with the missile pods and a multi tracker. You jump from (at 18") 6 shots to 18 at 50%. So you should on average hit more with the MP& PR then the TL PR alone. The extra shots will help with the nids also.