Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how good are tau in CC
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default how good are tau in CC

Hi guys, brand new 40k player here .
I've done a bit of research into the armies of 40k and here narrowed my choices done to two armies, IG and Tau, both professional militaristic races with a preference for shooting, just what I'm looking for
Thing is the more I read into Tau the more I found out about their "Mobile Warfare" which to me basically sounds to me like shooting the enemy to pieces then running away before the enemy catches you.
Because I don't like to run away like a little girl I had temporarily dismissed Tau and was set on getting IG, then I saw (on these forums) some posting a Tau variet list called the Farsite Enclaves (spelling?) which apparently at the cost of Kroot and Vespid allows you to equip you FW with bonding knives Which sounded to me like a CC weapon and got me thinking of the Tau again.
Which brings me to my question how good is a Farsite Enclaves (spelling) at CC compared to normal Tau ?
P.S my apologise to the mods if this post is in the wrong place
peek-a-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: how good are tau in CC

Well here goes.

Any non-vehicule tau squad (other then vespid, kroot, and gun drones) can take bonding knife, not just Farsight enclavites. As Elle mention it's ceremonial and help with morale not combat(well not directly).

Tau are tau. Whether they are part of Farsight enclave or not they still have the same low Weapon Skill...so are equally good/bad in close combat. The only "edge" that the Farsight enclave has is the ability to field 5 extra crisis suit bodyguard (compared to a normal list) and crisis suit have an average Weapon skill. But on the other hand, Farsight enclave loses the kroot, which can be pretty good in Close combat (well aside from their non-existant armour) due to their hounds and huge number.

So they short Answer is Farsight Enclave is as good in close combat as any other tau army would...they simply have a different way to go at it.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hi, I'm also new to these forums and I've played Imperial Guard for a little while before switching to Tau.

If you want to do Close Combat with your basic troopers - that is, Guardsmen or Fire Warriors / Kroot, then I'd say that Imperial Guard is much better at Close Combat. Tau (with the exception of Kroot auxilaries) don't seem to really be suited for combat. Also they do not have the mentality of "cannon fodder" or "mass numbers" while the Imperial Guard have both.

Standard Imperial Guardsmen can be equipped with laspistols and handweapons instead of lasguns, and they can be given docterines which increase their potential in Close Combat as well. Furthermore, they are as cheap as dirt and can thus be fielded in huge numbers (IG infantry armies might be the only thing which can match the numbers of a Tyranid mass army)

And thirdly, standard imperial guardsmen can be equipped with things such as Flamers. A personal favorite of mine is a huge unit of 40-50 conscripts (young men recruited to be cannonfodder) with up to 5 flamers led by a Commisar (a big mean IG character who gives your unit Ld10 and also prevents them from fleeing) can absolutely zerg the enemy. No such thing with the Tau.

I'd say that Tau might be good in Close Combat but moreso because of their Crisis Suits maybe. I don't know much about my new army yet. But if it's just standard troopers you want to get into combat, Imperial Guard is certainly your best bet, and also much more effective IMO!

Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

MisterDutch, do bring in a good point. Tau and kroot squad only have 1 weapon configuration (pulse rifle or pulse carbine for tau, Kroot rifle for kroot) you cannot upgrade the sqaud with close combat weapon or heavy assault weapon or flamers...that's really the role played by the crisis suit and to a lesser extend the broadside.

But on the other hand you have probably the best basic gun in the whole game...so hopefully you shouldn't be lock in CC.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you want close combat don´t get IG or tau; especially don´t get tau. tau are the worst army in CC by far. Tau army is move - fire - kill army; without response by the enemy if you have had it well enough.
Akdakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To agree with Boneguard and to push his point even more, Tau are not an army you want to CC with.

To disagree with Akdakkar, I don't have to move, and rarely, if my deployment is done right and I have guessed correctly the way that the enemy will come at me, don't get into CC.

Done right, a Tau army shoots and nothing is left to get into CC with you. If you failed, and something survived the folley of pulse hell that the Pulse Rifle puts down, then it's time to get the hell out of dodge and move away anyway. Two FW teams with supporting fields of fire make short work of standard units.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 15:03   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Indeed... I don't see it that the Tau 'run' from their enemy (not in my experience anyway)

They just pop out of their hiding places/vehicles, shoot the enemy to bits and jump back in their transports since the remainders aren't worth the effort it takes to mop them up :

Seriuosly though, when done right... you can kill the enemy by shooting. There isn't any need to go into combat and no need to let it ever come to that.
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

The way I see is it is that its not so much as running away as denying the enemy the chance to retaliate, only to return from possibly another angle to engage and attack. Hammer them, fall back to another position, possibly even a trap in which the attack was designed to provoke them the way you want. Where the Tau lack in CC, they make up for in brutal firepower and the ability to alter ballistic skills on the spot with the use of markerlights and targetting systems. They use mobility in a frustratingly tactical sense, along with the firepower to make sure the job gets done.

Now from what I know about IG, they also have the ability to lay down brutal amounts of firepower, fairly less accurate, but often times accompanied by big booms! (Basilisks, mortars, heavy mortars, Leman Russ', it goes on...) Lots of heavy weapons available, some specialized units and of course Doctrines. They have the ability to CC when it is necessary, but I wouldn't call them very good at it (Except when compared to Tau.) This along with lots and lots of bodies most of the time, they attempt to drown you in a hailstorm of firepower, which often succeeds.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 17:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Not. at. all. They're good in short-range shooting (lots of juicy rapid fire weapons), and long-range shooting (Railguns, Missile Pods, Rail Rifles), but in close combat, you'll get slaughtered.

Interestingly, in this article/thread (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=63339.0), it was said Stealthsuits might actually be okay. A full six-man squad of Burst Cannons with Targeting Arrays gives 18 shots, and then they assault and get another 18 attacks. Sounds juicy to me, especially against something like Guardsmen.
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peek-a-boo
Because I don't like to run away like a little girl I had temporarily dismissed Tau
Really the tau don't think of it as gutless and wimpy to fall back from close combat, they think of mission objectives as more important than a few yards of muddy ground and ruins. But in a purely gaming sense, don't play tau if you like to fight in cc. The only really decent cc units we have are kroot and top level commanders (shas'o w/ shield gen. and stim injector) and even they are only good against other mediocre cc troops like ig squads, gaunts, and the like. Being in a farsight enclave doesn't help much except that farsight himself has a power weapon (the only one in the codex) and his army gets prefered enemy vs. orks.
Commander Fire Sword is offline   Reply With Quote