Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire warrior setup
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fire warrior setup

In my army I always use 12 man teams the thing I debating about is if it's worth buying the bonding knife ,marker light , multi tracker ,emp grenades , black sun filter ,targetlock,gun drones and sheild drones.

I play with r'ymr so my whole army is fearless so that makes the bonding knife useless right ?

can the leader of the group fire a marker light ,and shoot his weapon ( really debating this one )

shield drones on fire warriors ... cool idea , worth it ?

emp grenades , photon grenades ?

black sun filter worth it even in the dark ?

multi tracker ? (works with marker light ? even with it is it worth the 20 points ?)

target lock would be good if you had a marker light

guns drones worth it ?

shield drones even worth taking ?

sorry if this seemed rushed I have to go to work in 10 minutes and would really like some discussion about firewarrior setups
Matt0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Fire warrior setup

Where do you see that R'myr army is fearless? The only stated in the PDF is that faced against the Imperium, R'myr his drones and bodyguard are fearless...not the whole army...so bonding knife is back on the list, and could be a good upgrade for your squads..,since having bodyguards R'myr cannot join them.

Yes a Shas'ui with a markerlight could shoot his gun if he has a haedwired multitracker, which allow him to fire both weapons system...granted it is also a good idea to give him a HW target lock so as to not force 2 unit to fire at the same enemy. In 5th Ed the markerlight is really useful against those pesky cover save, so if you don't have a pathfinder squad, the investment is worth it.

I don't usually put drones on my team...besides 2 Shield drones will only block 2 out of 14 shots, I don't think it's worth it for the cost.

Grenades...mmm never used them, so can't say.

Blacksun filter, since only the shas'ui can have it, it means that 1 person can see further...so at worse you might be able to fire 1 shot out of 12...it can really be worth it if you have a markerlight though...IIRC it does help aganist Night fighting (but don't have my codex so don't quote me on that one)

Gun drones could be a bit better since it adds some extra fire power, and the odd chasnce of pinning.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0690
I play with r'ymr so my whole army is fearless so that makes the bonding knife useless right ?

No, like Boneguard said. So that's an upgrade defenitely worth taking.

can the leader of the group fire a marker light ,and shoot his weapon ( really debating this one )

Only with MT. I don't see buying the MT as worth it though. I just get the Markerlight and that's it.

shield drones on fire warriors ... cool idea , worth it ?

Not really, too expensive for what you get. Broadsisdes are the only thing I see them useful on.

emp grenades , photon grenades ?

EMP- good wargear but, do you want your Tau that close to the enemy?
Photon- If Tau get into assault, you want them dead so you can shoot whatever assaulted them.

black sun filter worth it even in the dark ?

Night fighting will now only be for one turn in 1/3 of your games with regular scenarios, so don't take it.

multi tracker ? (works with marker light ? even with it is it worth the 20 points ?)

See above.

target lock would be good if you had a marker light

Same

guns drones worth it ?

Could be, as you like 12-man teams though, you'll need to drop X many guys for the drones you take to fit in a 'Fish

shield drones even worth taking ?

Above
Hope this helped.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 15:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

bonding knives are a must... especially for the big teams... 6 i never bother 8-10 depends if can be bothered 12 ALWAYS. an extra 5 points and those last 6 guys stay on and fight longer... spend 5 points or lose 10-60??

I personally don't bother with grenades i want combat over as fast as possible and i don't assult tanks with FW lol. although photons might be usefull against crons and IG and other 'almost as bad as tau' units in combat...

shield drones... waste of points on FW in my opinion. suits of any form def worth considering. gun drones on the other hand are useful 2 additional wounds and pinning shots. good if your doing a gun line and you got an assult unit within 18 inches... might get lucky and pin it.

I'd consider markerlights if you don't have pathfinders. if you do tho id strongly suggest target lock, so you can shoot another target and possibly multi-tracker which would allow you to fire you rifle as well as the markerlight. no other normal infantry unit can do that i think 8) if you don't take markerlight then don't bother with target lock or multi-tracker.

Blacksun filter can be rather useful if you got a markerlight as well... if memory serves one of the applications of the markerlight is that the unit taking the use of it can ignoring the effects of nightfight...

my FW team tends to be set up like this.... 8/12 man team, ui, bonding knife and bout 50:50 on markerlight with T.Lock and/or M.Tracker
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

R'myr is the forge world model right. I've got him for my battlesuit tau army, not because of the rules, but the look instead. Are you allowed to use R'myr's rules in a normal game of 40k (not apoc).

I wouldn't take grenades or blacksun-filter.

I usaully take 2 squads of:

Shas'la leader. =250pts.
12 fire warriors.
Markerlight.
HW target lock.
Bonding knife.
Devilfish.
Targetting array.
Disruption pod.
Multi-tracker.
HW multi-tracker.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Yeah aside from Super heavies and flyers, FW models are OK in regular games...still nice to ask permission/inform your opponent first though.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yah, I just couldn't resist that huge shield...