Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Burst cannons on HH's and Skyray question...
Old 16 Aug 2008, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Burst cannons on HH's and Skyray question...

It just occured to me that the 2 burst cannons "count as separate weapons" on a Hammerhead or a Skyray.

According to the V5 rules you may fire 1 gun if moving over 6", and defensive weapons at S4 or lower.
Since seekers don't count, and assuming the main gun on a HH is gone- when these guys move over 6" I'm thinking only 1 burst cannon should be allowed to fire. ???

What do you guys think?
Old 16 Aug 2008, 16:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329
Default Re: Burst cannons on HH's and Skyray question...

You're correct, only BC can fire
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
pepin0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 20:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But can you fire both BCs? Or just 1 BC?

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
But can you fire both BCs? Or just 1 BC?
If you move more than 6" (provided you have a multitracker, because without it, you cant fire anything if you've moved more than 6"), you can only fire one weapon, with strength 5 or more, ie. you can fire one burstcannon, or one railgun, or one ion cannon, etc.
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 21:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

/rant

Lol the new rule is such garbage. Since WHEN has a Burst Cannon -ever- been consitered a 'primary weapon', the thing is a joke weapon, just used to mop up stragglers of the Railgun's submunition. Theres no reason that it shouldn't be able to fire like a defensive weapon...grumble....

EVEN MODERN DAY TANKS can move at full speed and still fire ALL their ordnance, main cannons, hull mounted machine guns, pintle mounts, you name it. Why is it in the 41st millenium that we may as well take the tracks and engines off our vehicles? Lack of targetting technology? Sure, maybe the Imperium? But the Tau? Cmon!

/end rant

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2008, 22:36   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Or using gun drones. After all you are able to detatch them from the tank so that they can fire alongside your rail gun or ion cannon. Plus since pinning is now more effective (With instantaneous tests) they can be used to effectivley neutralise any combat units that might be a danger to your tank or even close quaters missile units (A fairly tooled up melts team comes to mind) For a "Defensive" weapon drones are in my opinion more defensive than SMS or burst cannons.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

I personally field SMS with my hammerheads, and have yet to regret it.

Burst Cannons, while 10 points cheaper and providing a few more shots, lack the all-important 24" range - for me to use the Burst Cannons, I need to put my hammerhead A) into LoS of the close-up enemy I'm firing at, and B) within 18" of the enemy, meaning I'm within an enemy's 6" stroll of 12" - that's within a Multi-melta's melta range, within range of a Fusion Gun, and completely negates one of the most potent defenses the hammerhead has against such heavy-hitting attacks.

Drones, while capable of providing cover, worry me for two reasons: They provide the enemy with 1 KP for a measely 2-model unit that's relatively vulnerable to just about any sort of weaponry, and they lack much in the way of killing power at all. I've also had absolutely no luck with pinning weapons - I've never successfully pinned a target my Devilfish gun drones have shot at over the course of about 6 games, only 1/2 of which were against SMs. I won't deny they have a slight chance to do so... but successful pinning, in my experience, doesn't happen even close to often enough to rely on it to use it as a tactic against high-priority enemies.

I'll grant, though, that they certainly do provide an extra wall of defense against, say, a <12" enemy melta squad. Using them for that purpose requires substantial planning, of course - they can't disembark and get in front of your tank the round the melta weapons step out of the transport and fire.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 02:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

SMS is the far superior weapon in 5th edition. It's cool though that since the burst cannons count as 2 seperate weapons you can actually use the target lock to fire them at seperate units. So if you have a stationary hammerhead you could actually fire it's weapons at 3 different targets. But then again you never want anything to actually get that close to your hammerhead anyway.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 04:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Burst cannons are still viable; you just can't move at full speed and be immune to penetrating hits anymore. I miss it too, but the nerf for skimmers moving fast needed to happen. On a hammerhead, If you move under 6" you can still fire everything (with multi-tracker of course). When moving faster than that, why would you fire anything other than the railgun or ion cannon? SMS is still good for the skyray, though. Markerlights are still secondary weapons, so you can fire the SMS as a primary weapon while moving up to 12 inches.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2008, 06:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I guess I forgot that you can move up to 6" and fire all weapons. I continually forget that. I love multi-trackers. Anyway, I still prefer the SMS. Not needing line of sight and having a 24" range makes a 48" diameter in which you can hit anything you want. It also ignores night fighting as well. Another plus...
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote