Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Static Tau vs CC Tyranids, 1500pts
Old 13 Aug 2008, 17:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default [BatRep] Static Tau vs CC Tyranids, 1500pts

Combat Summary:
Bad: He stole the initiative, managing to wipe out my stealth team with one carnifex and get close to my firing line with a whole lot of tyranids.
Good: I had one round of (effective) shooting, particularly at his massive number of genestealers, before he hit close combat.
Bad: He still had four squads of close combat troops in charging range. 8 genestealers is still a lot.
Good: I tangled his genestealers up in drones, and kept assaults to one unit of FW and my kroot. Most CC was resolved in one round, allowing me to continue shooting. Being easily wiped out really helped.
Awesome: I managed to turn the battle around with three feats!
1) A lucky shot with the AFP, wiping out 14 hormogaunts.
2) An XV88 team winning combat against the other hormogaunts
3) Wiping out his Hive Tyrant the turn it landed.
He ended up with no synapse creatures, and one Carnifex against all my heavy troops.

Tau army
2x Static Fire Warrior Teams (12-man, TL w/ ML/BK/TL) : 300
1x Kroot Squad (20-man): 140
1x Stealth Team (6 man, TL w/ ML/BK/MT): 205
2x XV88 Pairs (2x BASS, TL w/ 2x SD, BK): 400
1x Shas'el (AFP/BC/TA): 92
1x XV8 Deathrain Squad (no TL): 159
1x Pathfinder Squad (TL w/ BK), Devilfish (w/ Drones, FD, DF): 1512

Fighting: Tyranid Army
2 Close Combat Carnifexes
1 Close Combat Winged Tyrant w/ single AP-4 gun, deep striking
2x 20-man hormogaunt squads
1x 24-man genestealer squad w/ brood lord (we later learned this isn't a legal setup)

Tactical thoughts:
1) Is a markerlight and bonding knife worth a 25% increase in FW cost? Particularly since pathfinder devilfish are useful now. I think I prefer a 'vanilla' 120pt squad to a 'standard' 150pt squad: that's another 3 FW per squad.

2) His genestealers only ever attacked two drones. Inability to consolidate into combat makes sacrificial squads very viable. This is especially true of vehicle's drones, which are worth no victory points and very likely to die (leaving the unit open to fire). It is especially useful for us, because the cover save granted by a meat wall can be negated by markerlights. If he had points from the drones, he would still have had a chance of winning.

I'll be moving to more, smaller, squads: if I had a squad of 6 fire warriors to screen my shooting line with, I could have saved both full squads. Kroot/hound squads might be in my future, for such sacrifices. Unfortunately, kroot/hounds that charge are unlikely to tie up units in close combat for two turns: leadership tests are brutal with no armor saves.

3) Deathrain XV8's disappointed me. They did minimal damage, although I suspect a lack of light vehicles hurt their effectiveness. I certainly wished, by round 2, that I had a Burning Eye team (or a Burning Eye team with a Helios-6 commander) team instead. I will definitely be moving to 2-man squads, to avoid the need for a bonding knife.

4) 4 XV88 Broadside's (which never missed!) handled monstrous creatures quite well. Debating the worth of investing in plasma rifles and a MT for the SL. If I end up using them for taking out tough creatures at close range, could help a lot. Not sure if 15pts worth of help. Probably depends on if I take burning eye teams.

5) AFP is a very useful tool for harassing the flanks. I wouldn't put it on a Shas'o, but as a cheaper HQ commander near massed fire, which pushes enemies into cover, it is quite nice.

Detailed combat report
Board: City board with extensive cover, well defined streets, and lots of ruins.

Deployment: Annihilation, table edges. He chose for me to deploy and go first.

I deployed mostly in and around a ruined building in my left corner. Both XV88 teams sat on third-floor platforms, while the fire warrior teams covered the outside corner of the building (one facing north, the other facing east). Next to my building was the only open space: a plaza with little cover. My XV8's were deployed forward and on the street between the building and plaza.

Pathfinders were deployed in their vehicle, near ruins they could enter, on the far right side of my edge.

He deployed in the closer corner to mine, Hormogaunts lined up with my Firewarriors/XV88's, Carnifex's lined up roughly with my XV8's.

I infiltrated my stealth team about 14" from his Carnifex, around a corner. This was a mistake: I could have placed them a safe 19" away.

He infiltrated his Genestealers 18" away from my front lines, in front of his Hormogaunts.

I infiltrated my Kroot into the ruins I was using as my base, to the right of my FW squads. Not the best placement, but no where else for them to go and I was weak there.

1st turn:
He Stole the Initiative. The right Carnifex, with fleet, ripped my stealth team to pieces, while the left Carnifex advanced towards with his troops. He could not get into close combat as his Genestealers lost fleet of foot from their Broodlord. His Genestealers were still the closest enemies to me.

Bottom
Fire warriors moved up to double-tap range and concentrated on the genestealers, boosted by pathfinders, and removed the majority of them (17 or so).
XV88's targeted and significantly wounded the Carnifex.
AFP managed to kill 3 of the right hormogaunts and a genestealer or two.
Missiles were ineffective against the other Carnifex.
My devilfish moved in between the two lines, with the two drones extending the protective line by running and jumping to get ~7 inches away. This left a gap between my drones and the Devilfish.

2nd turn:
He assaulted with everything but the right carnifex, who had been drawn away by my stealth team. I tangled his genestealers up in my drones, but the left carnifex move between the drones and the devilfish to engage one firewarrior squad. My countercharge let me 'plug the gap', and the right hormogaunts were forced to engage the same squad. The left hormogaunts charged past both squads and into the kroot. Everyone but the kroot died, 4 kroot miraculously stood their ground on a 2 leadership check. Did me no good, but was really cool.

Bottom
My commander's AFP and BC wiped out 14 of the 16 remaining 'right' hormogaunts who had killed my FW's. This let me focus my fire warriors and markerlights on the genestealers, wiping them out save the brood lord. One XV88 team killed the nearby carnifex, the other killed the brood lord. He now had one remaining carnifex, a tyrant in reserve, and the 17-man hormogaunt squad in the middle of my formation. Devilfish moved into position to pick up the fire warriors if they survived. My kroot were wiped out in CC, dealing no more casualties.

3rd turn:
He deep struck his tyrant in near my suits, in between his other two units. His 17 remaining left hormogaunts charged one of my XV88 teams, dealing two wounds to the drones (wiping them out) and one wound to the suits. Miraculously, the suits managed to hit and wound on all four attacks, winning combat and forcing the hormogaunts to retreat. This proved critical, when they couldn't re-enter close combat. His tyrant fired on, and the two surviving right hormogaunts charged, my remaining FW squad, taking them to 10.

Bottom
I moved my fire warriors out to be able to fire at either the tyrant or the hormogaunts, choosing not to spirit them away in the devilfish.
I moved my commander very close to the tyrant to be in range of the remaining hormogaunt squad. the AFP took the hormogaunt squad below half.
My XV88's did 3 wounds to his tyrant. My devilfish and missile pods failed to kill him, but I was able to finish him with my fire warriors. This left him with no synapse creatures, and only one carnifex and a mormogaunt squad surviving. Pathfinders failed to scratch said carnifex.

4th turn:
He attempted to move with his hormogaunts, failed, and at this point conceded. The hormogaunts could not regroup, and he had one usable unit (albiet a carnifex with 4 wounds left). Had he continued, I believe he would have killed a 1-2 more VP worth of pathfinders or crisis suits before my XV88's took him down.

Final VP score: Tau: 5, Opponent 2

Conclusion

On one hand I was very lucky and held off his CC well, minimizing the 'seize the initiative' advantage. On the other hand, I don't know how I would have placed differently if he had just chosen to place and go first, which IMO he should have done. I could have added a little more distance, but not altogether too much. Then again, perhaps six more inches would have been enough.

--
Seth Fogarty sfogarty@[gmail.com|rice.edu|livejournal]
Neep-neep at large AIM: Sorrath
"Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

1+ Karma - C_V
sfogarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 12:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [BatRep] Static Tau vs CC Tyranids, 1500pts

Nice report, well done on the win.

Shame about the 24 strong unit of genestealers, he would have been better off with a squad of 6 with the lord and two units of 9 to give you more targets and not get all of them killed so easily.

Quote:
I infiltrated my stealth team about 14" from his Carnifex, around a corner. This was a mistake: I could have placed them a safe 19" away.
You were safe at 14" away, Carnifex cannot fleet, they can run but then you wouldn't have been charged.

Its a real pain having the initiative stolen, it is supposed to be a 1 in 6 chance but I would say over 80% of my games its happened.

I think your army was well set up for dealing with nids, and you would have won quicker if you had a 6 man stealth team on the board. I am amazed genestealers were tangled with your drones as it appears you only had two of them, he must roll dice worse than I do.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykosis
Nice report, well done on the win.

Shame about the 24 strong unit of genestealers, he would have been better off with a squad of 6 with the lord and two units of 9 to give you more targets and not get all of them killed so easily.

Quote:
You were safe at 14" away, Carnifex cannot fleet, they can run but then you wouldn't have been charged.

Its a real pain having the initiative stolen, it is supposed to be a 1 in 6 chance but I would say over 80% of my games its happened.

I think your army was well set up for dealing with nids, and you would have won quicker if you had a 6 man stealth team on the board. I am amazed genestealers were tangled with your drones as it appears you only had two of them, he must roll dice worse than I do.
But if the genestealers had been split up, they would have been worth more VP (since in 5th, you just count the number of units killed... ie., if you can count to 10, yuo can play...)
And, if he assulted the drones, he wasn't thinking... he should have just shot them with something random, so that he wouldn't have to assault them with his genestealers, and get caught in the open, and get blown to bits...
Draws: 0
Defeats: 0
Abemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 15:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes it would have been more kill points but as you can't have a squad of 24 genestealers they have to be split up don't they. Plus going from 7 KP to 9 isn't such a bad thing when you have two extra scoring units.

Shooting the drones with something random would have been very impressive considering he didn't have anything that could shoot on the table.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 18:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Mistake

Trying to delete..
Old 14 Aug 2008, 18:14   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykosis

Quote:
Hmn. His Carnifex had fleet, for some reason. Perhaps a mistake.

Quote:
Oh, they died instantly. But that gave me another round of shooting at the genestealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abemad
But if the genestealers had been split up, they would have been worth more VP (since in 5th, you just count the number of units killed... ie., if you can count to 10, yuo can play...)
And, if he assaulted the drones, he wasn't thinking... he should have just shot them with something random, so that he wouldn't have to assault them with his genestealers, and get caught in the open, and get blown to bits...
If the genestealers had split up, it would have been harder to choose the right target, but I also wouldn't have given them many covers saves: most of my units could see 7-10 genestealers, but not the 13 necessary to suppress the cover save.

He had no shooty elements to his army, save a hive tyrant that was still in reserves. Lucky me