Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to tau, got a few questions
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to tau, got a few questions

Hey guys. I am new to Tau to some extent. I played a small 1k tau army back when tau first came out in 3rd edition. But i have not even looked at the newest set of rules. Now with the release of 5th edition, i am looking to start a new 40k army. For starters, i decided on tau cause my local gamin group, no one really plays tau. Second, i really wanted to do an army with a simpler color scheme using GW's foundation/wash/highlight techiques.
My other army is space marines army, a DIY chapter of my own. As far as painting goes, i have gotten good at painting models, but i haven't gotten good at simplifying a color scheme so that i can actually finished an army in a timely manner. So thats where the Tau come in. I am looking at two things with the tau. Using a new color that i have never really painted an army in before and keeping the painting simplified to using the new washes/foundation paint combo. So the only two colors that i have never really done an army in as a primary scheme is Orange and Yellow. I have decided i want my primary color to be yellow. Now that GW has done the foundations to make applying yellow a bit easier, i think i will finially be able to produce a decent looking yellow army.

So i have fiddled around with the army painter from Dawn of war. I have worked out a color scheme and surprisingly enough, i know it works. Amazingly tho is just how good it looks on tau, from the fire warriors, to suits to tanks. I decided to just go with the imperial fist color triad of yellow, black and red. For my fire warriors i am gonna give them a black undersuit, yellow armor, with blood red accents for unit markings and squad leader markings. The weapons are going to be done in a dark red to offset the color pallette just a little. As for kroot, i am going to give them a red flesh tone, with yellow cloth/accents on there gear.

So...now that the introduction is over, on to the questions.
Since i am an avid DIYer, i just love doing my own chapters, regiments and in the case of the tau, there own Sept. I am waiting for the local store to get in the new codex, so i don't have the new one yet. I do have the old one and alot of good references online for fluff. But i was wondering, if the new codex had any sept names that they didn't give official color schemes too? If they don't, is there a good list to help with making sept names. Back in the day, with my old tau army i used Drak'an as the sept name. But since i have found this site the tau words/meaning list doesn't have anything close to Drak and i can't find the meaning behind the 'an part. I know bork'an uses the last part so was trying to figure out what it means. The idea before was it sounded cool, and i was using the symbol that Fal'shia (i hope i spelled that correctly) used, the one for the twin moons. That symbol looked alot like a head with wings and a tail, similar to a dragon which is why i used it.

So any good suggestions or pointers would be great there.

As for my other question, since i know in the rules, the commanders have the same armor type as the standard crisis teams do. But is it possible to use the shadowsun model and convert it's weapons and armement to match a commanders gear and count it as a commander. I really like the shadowsun model, and also in dawn of war, the tau commanders have a smaller sleeker battle suit. So i was thinking of using that to make my commander more impressive and also stand-offish to the rest of the crisis suits. I don't really plan to use special characters in games, just like converting my army general. If i use the shadow sun model, i plan to have it up in the air some and will try to keep it to the same height lvl as a normal crisis suit. I will also put it on the same size base so no one says i am robbing them in anyways rules wise.

So thats about it on questions for now. I know its really only two questions. But i am avoiding any questions on stuff from the codex and until i get my hands on the newer book, i will just have to wait for other questions till then.
Thanks in advance guys.

Childofdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New to tau, got a few questions

I'll answer only one of those questions ^_^ (as its the fastest one)

Quote:
i just love doing my own chapters, regiments and in the case of the tau, there own Sept.
Someone is slightly unfamiliar with scale here : TAU sept is "lightly" bigger then new regiment... or a new chapter... Infact, TAU sept is a whole Solar system that includes multiple worlds and has a long and rich history. There is only few septs as TAU empire is very small. All and all "new spet' is something REALLY epic that I would stay away from. Much like making a chapter on the scale of Ultramarines. Aka, something I would strongly suggested to stay away from ^_^. Its just to big to just "make up".

However that being said, there is a TON of room to be creative at. Just because there is fixed number of spets, doesn't mean your cadre must look like some elses. Firsts things first, not all septs are popular ^_^ So by picking a less popular one you'll be unique. Second, you can customise your cadre with certain role (like scouting cadre or fire support. w/e u want really) and it will make it unique. ^_^ You can even go renegade (that is what I am currently working on right now) with or without farsight.

Just general note, I'd stay away from "epic stuff" as the bigger the scale the harder it is to incorporate something new in exciting thing. ^_^

Welcome to forums btw

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yeah i realize that a sept is larger. Thats why i asked if there was any un-named septs or any named septs that haven't been shown an official color scheme for. Odds are good that i will end up using an official sept, and have my cadre come from that. As it stands right now...the yellow scheme is similar to the desert looking scheme that is from the homeworld.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 00:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As far as Septs are concerned there are more in the New Codex than there were in the last one.

BUT, my understanding is that Tau, unlike SMs, are not locked into one armor color. They have a Sept color that is used for squad and leader markings.

So if you want Blood Red Markings then you would be best off playing Vior'la. (Even though one point of confusion is that the Dal'yth Sept in the 1st Codex had Red Markings.)

For example I could make a Vior'la army, like the one in the Codex, wearing marsh green colors to camouflage them for the marshes of their home world. But you could make a Vior'la army wearing bright yellow ceremonial armor. While a third person could make Vior'la army in grey city-fight Camo. The only thing they would have in common would be the red markings.

My understanding is that it is just the markings that differentiate the Septs.

The new Codex gives you the colors for 7 of Septs and I think the video game Dawn of War gives you a few others. Dal'yth being the only exception... The original codex has Dal'yth with red markings like I said above, but if I remember correctly Dawn of War had Dal'yth with green markings.

What I would suggest is pick an existing Sept and write fluff for your Coalition and Cadre. They could be from Vior'la (hence the red markings) but could be part of a colonization effort on a new world (so you could make up fluff about that world) and/or part of a major military action against a particular race (so you could model dead bodies and vehicle bits on their bases.)
Old 13 Aug 2008, 00:58   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

awesome. I that has definitetly given me alot of insight to the sept. I can't wait to get my grubby mits on the new book. Still can't find anything in the old codex on the sept's chosen colors. All i see really is the sept names and sept markings for the 8 major septs. Thanks a bunch for the insight, and i will have to really get to reading the dex so i can get a better insight to the septs and what not.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 04:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Here is an article I've composed a WHILE ago on the customizations of TAU force. Feel free to use it.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0

Walk tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would also love a "regular" stealthsuited commander - and maybe some xv15 stealthsuited troops (instead of elites)...

Joe
Joeker_Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 17:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

on substituting shadowsun for a regular suit commander- go for it! it will be awesome, and you can hit anyone who gives you BS about WYSIWYG with her too - she's got good mass.

tho DO check out the forgeworld suits. they are also very nice, and the fully articulated joints are lovely to work with.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i painting my army the original colour scheme. i didnt buy the official paints for it cuz they are too expensive and bought oil paints instead which work just fine.
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP
BITCHES!!!!!
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote