Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Raptors
Old 12 Aug 2008, 14:28   #1 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Raptors

OK, I'm really starting to have problems with Chaos Raptors in 5th. My buddy has started spending half his points on Raptors and with their incredible speed I'm spending all my time running rather than shooting. For example the last game we played was 1000 pts, he spent about 500 of it on 20 Raptors of Korne. In their first round they moved 12 then he rolled 5 more for each. On the second round they move 12 again and he rolled 4 and 3 for them. That's a total of 33 and 32 inches for them respectively. If I don't run I get assaulted in the 2nd round.

This last game I didn't run, I stood and fired everything until I was assaulted. But I still only killed half of the Raptors before they got to me. Then it just became a bloody mess. So how do you guys stop this kind of rush attack? Especially if you are supposed to be holding ground to win the scenario.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 14:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Raptors

First off all - only INFANTRY can run. Raptors are Jump Troops, so they don`t get the run move.

Furthermore, After Run you can`t assault.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 14:43   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Are you sure that it is only infantry that can run? I was under the impression that any non-vehicle could run. If he can't run that would be a big help.

He wasn't assaulting after a Run, he doesn't run on the round he assaults. Sorry, I guess I wasn't totally clear there.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Get something in between the Raptors and your squishy troops like a small squadron of drones. Force him to assault them in his turn, which means he'll be left open after combat. Make sure to keep your other units far enough away so that he can't assault both the drones and your troops.

Oh, and good luck.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 15:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mount your firewarriors in a devilfish and speed away before mounting a decisive counter attack. or, as bocephus said, just put some drones in front of the firewarriors.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 15:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

JSJ backwards with Deathrains and Fireknives might help. Our suits have an assured 18" movement (move + run + jetpack) on the turn they run 12+D6".

So it helps to stay at least 20 inches from them, and rain missiles as hard as you can. But even an idiot might catch onto what you are doing and counter it. This is what I would do pending a new idea.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 15:13   #7 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

I think I'm going to have to use "speed bumps", although it doesn't seem very fluffy. It will however, buy another round to fire into the rush.

My problem with jumping into the devilfish and running is that I can't hold ground that way and it greatly reduces the amount of guns I have to fire. Also, don't forget that Raptors are just as fast as Devilfish (even if they can't run and faster if they can - gotta remember to look that up tonight).

Quote:
JSJ backwards with Deathrains and Fireknives might help. Our suits have an assured 18" movement (move + run + jetpack) on the turn they run 12+D6".
That's exactly what my suits do the whole time. (Fall back 6, shoot, fall back 6) But it's hard to throw enough heat to stop that many raptors. (My 1000 pt list had a Helios and a Fireknife only.)
Old 12 Aug 2008, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to pepin0329

Actually Bonesaw, jump infantry do get the run move, as they follow all the rule for infantry unless otherwise noted, and the run rule isn't noted.
A Tau's best friend (with the exception of the codex).
pepin0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 16:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Can they use their jump packs and run in the same turn? I thought they had to move as infantry (six inches) in order to run, since you can't really run when in the air.

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, none will suffice."

"So this is how liberty dies. To a thunderous applause."

100% of posters have false statistics in their signatures. If you're one of the 0% that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig.
Vallessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 16:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepin0329
Actually Bonesaw, jump infantry do get the run move, as they follow all the rule for infantry unless otherwise noted, and the run rule isn't noted.

Hm, it appears you are right... Looks like Im not quite the Rules Lawyer for 5th Edition that I want to be... yet

But, yeah, solid advice - pack your grunts into transports; use Helios (PR and FB) and melt those Raptors when they get close; use Ionheads. Raptors are not cheap and non-scoring, so use this to your advantage!

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote