Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help Understanding Tau Fluff
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help Understanding Tau Fluff

I'm fairly new to the 40K gaming scene. All I keep reading about in articles is how unfun powergaming is. However, I don't really understand what makes a Tau army fluffy instead of.. (powergamey?)

Anyone willing to explain some of this to me? Perhaps some examples of what would be beardy/cheesy/not-fluffy?
I would march to battle with copies of the constitution pinned to me like purity seals
Lyk4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to fiercegoldfish
Default Re: Help Understanding Tau Fluff

im not quite understanding your question.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:52   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What makes a Tau army fluffy, instead of a powergaming army? I'm trying to understand the fluff of Tau..
I would march to battle with copies of the constitution pinned to me like purity seals
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyk4n
What makes a Tau army fluffy, instead of a powergaming army? I'm trying to understand the fluff of Tau..
the whole "for the greator good" theme. the idea that they are born and raised to complete a specific task and are born into their roles. also, that they care more about the good of their raace as a whole instead of personal desires. Kinda remindds you of communism gone right, doesn't it?
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you design an army which is balanced then I would say it was following the fluff.

To powergame just design an army that is really hard and not much fun to play against. For example a powergaming eldar army is a farseer on a bike, two units of three jet bikes, 6 fire dragons, 2 units of 6 harlequins and 3 fully upgraded falcons. You go to a GT and see that same army used by 20 different players. Yawn.

5th Ed has mixed things up a bit now though.
cykosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:24   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegoldfish
Quote:
the whole "for the greator good" theme. the idea that they are born and raised to complete a specific task and are born into their roles. also, that they care more about the good of their raace as a whole instead of personal desires. Kinda remindds you of communism gone right, doesn't it?
I understand the theme, I'm trying understand what would constitute a "fluffy" army list to some extent..
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegoldfish
Quote:
the whole "for the greater good" theme. the idea that they are born and raised to complete a specific task and are born into their roles. also, that they care more about the good of their race as a whole instead of personal desires. Kinda reminds you of communism gone right, doesn't it?
I understand the theme, I'm trying understand what would constitute a "fluffy" army list to some extent..
A fluffy army would be "diverse" and not dependant on anyone aspect, such as having a huge amount of tanks. also, creating an army in which your tactics do would not include "human" sacrafices, such as sending units into a "suicide" or "kamikaze" (sp?) situation.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

As said a fluffy army will try to be balance, or might be built around a theme (ex scouting, deepstriking, auxiliaries, etc), and is meant to be enjoyable and then win.

A powergaming army is built to win...enjoyment is usually secondary/not taken into account. They often have full Heavy support slot taken with fully kitted troops and almost no troops.

Now these are generalization but it does help a bit.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:39   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

From the way I see it, every Tau army configuration is fluffy. Now, the question is whether you list is so cheese~y that your opponents and potential opponents will avoid you at all cost because frankly, it's no fun playing against a cheese~y list. But there's a difference between competitive and cheese~y list, do note.

E.g. You're fielding 3 Hammerheads with Railguns and/or Broadsides. Any more than 3 or even 2 Railguns (depending whether you take the Hammerhead or Broadsides), will get a frown from any opponent.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:41   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Actually, you're a bit off...

The Tau are/were in the glorious position that some of their strongest list builds fitted perfectly with the way they fight given in the background.

Examples:

Marines - in background, fight in units of 5 or ten, with ten man units taking heavy weapons.

In practice, every one went 6 man las/plas as it was the most effective - powergamery, but not fluffy.

Tau - in background, they fight as a highly mobile mechanised force, mostly mounted.

In practice, some of the strongest lists were fully mounted lists or Hybrid mech lists - powergamery, but fitting the background.

It was a combination of rules that made them so strong whilst remaining fluffy, which has changed a bit now.

Also - don't take powergamer as a bad thing. Powergaming has its place, and if two people are running tooled and tweaked armies against each other, you will see one hell of a fight. Powergaming gets a bad image from when the more laid back people get a battle against a tooled list when they expected a laid back one - the fault of nothing but communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote