Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flamekin
Old 08 Aug 2008, 22:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Flamekin

Alright, first off, this is another post on the usefulness of TL flamers. Brace yourself

The first thought with TL flamers is the problem of getting close to the enemy. Tau don't do assault, and there is no point in flaming one unit to lose it next turn in assault. Even our commanders aren't the best at close combat (though they are quite nice), but then a thought struck me. Why not use Farsight?

In my opinion, the Tau's best special character is Farsight. He's a crisis suit with a power weapon, and that makes him very, very attractive, especially with a lot of other commanders, mainly space marines, being downgraded in CC power. He also has a nice weapon load out, and a HW target lock. We'll be coming back to that in a moment.

Farsight has the capability to take seven bodyguards. Many configurations of the '7 Samurai' have come about, but to me it seems far to expensive. However, running Farsight with 3 bodyguards seems very effective. The only problem is that Farsight is made for CC, not shooting, and so making shas'vre equipped for shooting is somewhat pointless. Fine, let's have them assault.

As a side note, this tactic is best used against Orks, because of getting Preferred Enemy

All of Farsight's bodyguard (the three of them), take TL flamers, and 2 shield drones. Nothing else. I've tried using the failsafe detonator in the past, but I've never gotten much use out of it, and in 5th edition, the targeting rules make him die faster than he used to. Some might say nay to the shield drones, but they can take hits for the crisis suits. Here is the configuration for the shas'vre:

-shas'vre w/ TL flamer, drone controller, 2 shield drones (71)

The clever ones here might have noticed a flaw with this plan. What's the point of flaming a unit we're going to charge, especially if we are flaming Orks. The squad will either be out of range to charge or dead. Well, luckily the Tau like to ignore most of the shooting rules, and I discovered another one that also means we ignore some assaulting rules as well.

Technically, we don't ignore the assaulting rules, specifically the one stating that you must charge the unit you shot at. Now, we still have to target the unit we want to charge, but who says we have to shoot it? We're Tau, remember?

Enter Farsight's target lock. Why would anyone give an IC a target lock? That was my second question when reading Farsight's entry. (The first was why he was BS 4, but anyway...) It took me until three months ago to figure it out. Farsight can target one unit, use the target lock to shoot another unit, and charge the original unit! So, the solution to overkill is to take target locks. Each shas'vre can take a hard wired target lock, and flame one unit of Orks, and then charge another! Let's look at some mathhammer.

12 Orks (from a Trukk)

Each flamer gets 8 boyz, so:

8*3/4 = 6 Orks dead per flamer, meaning a dead squad of boyz, especially after two plasma shots.

Once this squad has been eliminated, you charge the squad you originally targeted. Be careful here, and make sure a shield drone charges the nob. ICs are still separate units in CC, and thus the power klaw has to be in BTB to target farsight. Otherwise, we can allocate those wounds to a drone. Assuming Farsight and co. strikes first (which I 3,4, and 5 does against I 2 and 1):

Farsight: 5*8/9*2/3 = 80/27, or 3 Orks dead, the vast majority of the time (or two and a wound on the Nob...)
Drone (assuming all six are alive): 12*3/4*1/3*5/6 = 2.5 dead Orks (or 1.6 dead Orks if drones don't get PE, which I don't know ATM)
Shas'vres: 9*3/4*2/3*5/6 = 3.75 dead Orks

This is a grand total of 9.25 dead Orks, so 8 and a wound on the Nob. This is possible with the new combat rules, stating that as long as a unit was able to strike at the beginning of combat, and is still alive when it comes to their initiative order, it can strike. Sadly, this means the powerclaw can strike, but as long as it hits a drone, the unit will be okay. Here's the reprisal (assuming attacking the squad):

Boyz: 9*2/3*1/3*1/3 = .667 wounds on the team, so a drone dies.
Nob: 4*2/3*5/6*1/2 = 1.111 so another drone dies.

Most likely, the boyz will be falling back from the -7 modifier, and run down by our I 4 majority.

Obviously, this only works well against mechanized Orks, and thus, as always, we have to choose our targets carefully. However, this unit can work against space marines as well. The 3 TL flamers and BS 4 plasma rifle can easily kill a combat squad, and the assault has an excellent chance of hurting another, and we have shield drones to help survive the ensuing assault.

Now, I don't think this will ever be a tournament winning tactic, but I think it is a viable one. If anyone wishes me to, I can post the list this unit is used in (2000 points), and I can detail how it works with the rest of the list. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Flamekin

This may work. Also you do not have to worry about with less shields dying. The flamers will be lethal when used IN squad this may also works against guardsmen. but remember it may not work well against genstealers. Farsight also has to worry about failing his invul save form power claw/fist and end up intsagibbed.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Your tactic may be a bit iffy with the Target Lock, but the whole thing looks pretty good. A Burst Cannon and a CIB wouldn't be too bad either for some ranged fire-power on your way into combat. But all in all I find this would be a great way to cause some fun in a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

sounds interesting, i will read it more in the morning though

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 05:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Brilliant! I'd never thought of that...
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

great configuration, I bet this would be great against my Buddy's mutants
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 09:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The number of bodies and ablative wounds make this tactic is valid for hopping across the board through cover. Range is limited, but you can get there safely due to the Run rule.

But it is rather limited if you intend to deepstrike. I tested Farsight + flamers first for deepstrike, but often I found myself sitting pretty and eating las for a turn doing nothing because I ended up out of range due to small scatter. I now run the guards HWMTing a PR with a high Str close quarter weapon like a CIB or FB, AFP for a ranged template, and deepstrike against marines and even termies. I've managed to wipe out a squad of assault termies once just with shooting from Farsight's boyz alone! >

As for your logic of TL on the guards, I'm not too sure about assaulting into a fresh squad that you've haven't touched. You can jump Farsight 6" from the furthest man of the target squad, then arrange the guards 2" behind Farsight and another guard (forming an inverted Y shape) for maximum coverage of the flamers. You then charge in to mop up the remaining golden-brown Boyz.

No boyz left? Then don't bother charging; it's already a job well done! >

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
No boyz left? Then don't bother charging; it's already a job well done! >
Well, the whole point was to kill two squads with one unit....

What I guess I'll do though, to stop people complaining, is shoot farsight at the squad I'm going to charge. Then people won't need to think as much, and wrap their heads around the abstract concepts in 40k :P

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2008, 00:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris

Well, the whole point was to kill two squads with one unit....

What I guess I'll do though, to stop people complaining, is shoot farsight at the squad I'm going to charge. Then people won't need to think as much, and wrap their heads around the abstract concepts in 40k :P

Cheers!
You got a point there; I'm paranoid of charging anything with more wounds than I do regardless of saves. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote