Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hide behind the guys with the shield Gens!
Old 08 Aug 2008, 04:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Hide behind the guys with the shield Gens!

So yeah, some of you guys may already know this and be doing it but I just sorta stumbled upon it the other day. I used to take shield generators a little more liberally on my suits but now I've found it extremely effective just to take shield gens on 1 unit of suits. This way I'll have the rest of my suits line up behind them and they all get a 4+ cover save. This way it's like I gave all of my battlesuits (and anyone else behind them) a shield generator for the price of 1 unit. I've found it to be an extremely effective method of surviving the much hated lascannon fire.

If you guys have used this tactic to survive out in the open tell me what you think of it. If you haven't used it then give it a shot. It worked pretty well for me. The only weakness is that you can end up pretty bunched up and are pretty vulnerable to blast template weapons. However, you'll still be getting your 4+ cover save against them for the most part as only barrage weapons will deny a cover save.

Tell me what you think.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Hide behind the guys with the shield Gens!

Now if only I had the points to pull that stunt. I used to have SGs, then found that TAs are sometimes a better idea. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 04:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You are right, shield gens are a little obsolete with the ubiquitousness of the 4+ cover save. However, if there's a chance you're gonna get caught in the open it's good to have 1 unit of suits with shield gens to hide behind is handy. However, for the sake of shooting efficiency targetting arrays along with the 4+ cover save ends up netting you a better result anyway.

I do like having shield gens on units that I know are gonna be getting close to the enemy. Like on Units with twinliked plasma that are going to be getting close so that they can rapid fire. If you get into close combat the shield gen helps you survive the inevitable power weapons.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Problem is that if that shield generator carrying suit dies the plan falls apart. Also you're putting your suits dangerously close to each other for assaulter. Now I know that with 5th rules assaulters can't move into another unit but I think that it's a huge liability to keep units of crisis suits so close together.

It's still a viable tactic though don't get me wrong, just be careful with it and if it works more power to you.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 05:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

You're right Innes. There's a lot of weaknesses to it. On the subject of assaulters is that I learned the heard way that one unit can actually assault more than one unit at once as long as they can reach them. So yes, you're right it's something that happens to be used carefully.

In my particular instance there were no assault units near me. The only real threat was a couple of obliterators that had a clear line of sight to some of my suits, so I just did the most sensible thing. It worked pretty well in that particular situation.