Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Unseen Tau Army
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Unseen Tau Army

So guys this is my first real post here. This is not a tourny winning idea. This is just a cool idea I have for an army.

What do you guys think of a tau army that hides behind terrain half the time? I was thinking of something like....

Crisis suit with twl plasma or Missle pod
Crisis suits with twl plasma or missle pod
Steathsuits with marker lights

Firewarriors-2 squads

2 squads of pathfinders, give the devilfish too the firewarriors, and upgrade them with smart missle systems and seeker missles.

2 Skyrays with Smart missle systems
3 broadsisdes with smart missle systems.

Pretty much you hide the vehicles and the broad sides and crisis suits.

The lynch pin is the pathfinders. You want turn 2. You launch as many of your seeker missles turn 1 on vechiles and large targets. youur crisis suits jump out from terrain and unload then jump back. When its your oppenets turn they cant shoot you! Next turn you unload with all your smart missle systems.

I know it requires heavy terrain on your side of the table but I just like the idea of missles barrages behind terrian. What do you guys think?
Valten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Unseen Tau Army

I think you'll get your teeth knocked out.

Nobody likes this kind of army. To prove a point, I once took on a watered-down variation of this kind of force with a Krieg army and spammed mortars. The Tau player had nothing to do the whole game because anything that left cover died, and anything that didn't was pinned down and then died.

I've tried using Seeker-rain armies before now (pretty much nothing but Pathfinders and Skyrays), but that was pretty much just as an exercise in trying to make a bizarre list.

Fielding an "indirect fire" Tau army is a good way of having no friends, and of falling down stairs a lot.

As reference, my Seeker-Rain force was largely thus; Pathfinders deploy overlooking as much of the field as possible, with all the vehicles hiding out of sight. Firewarriors provide a screen to hold off anything that gets through, and Sniper Drones anchor the flanks. Battlesuits are non-existant, save for the obligatory HQ and possibly a single unit of Stealths.

It was actually kind of boring the use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oh... I just thought it was a cool idea.... hmmm
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Don't mind Wargamer he's never been, oh how should I say it ...subtle... with his opinions.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This type of setup is similar to IG running 32 mortars for their heavy weapons teams and just sitting out of LOS and dropping indirect fire on top of you.

I have to assume that when someone agrees to play a tau player that they are taking into account JSJ and the fact that it will be attempting to use the terrain to hide the unit or atleast get a cover save when it is not the Tau player's shooting phase.

Personally I don't understand why you have broadsides on your list if you are just going to keep them out of TLOS. If that is the case you can drop the broadsides and add S.M.S to your devilfish for the same point cost as a broadside.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I just figured that having 3 sms is better than one. I feel bad now, I just had this weird idea for an army and it makes me seem like some powergaming ass....which i dont want to be...
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:30   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magickrat4
I have to assume that when someone agrees to play a tau player that they are taking into account JSJ and the fact that it will be attempting to use the terrain to hide the unit or atleast get a cover save when it is not the Tau player's shooting phase.
I have to assume that when someone agrees to play a tau player, or any other player, they want to participate in the game - and that means more than just removing casualties.

Armies that deliberately deny the enemy the ability to counter-attack should never be allowed on the tabletop. 5th Edition has lessened the problem somewhat, but it is still possible (depending on the board) to make use of this kind of force in the way everyone hates. At least with combat-hordes, you get a minimum of one turn to retaliate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

While not wanting to be a power gamer there is a list I use and it follows a similar tactic, shock and awe. The shock comes first and second turn when concealed pathfinders use thier scout move to break cover and then hail down as many seekers as possible (your idea). The awe comes when my four teams of firewarriors zip forward supported by hammerheads and my stealth team and commander deep strike very close to the enemy. My devil fish tankshock and ram wherever possible and I occasionaly commit my commander and stealth suits to combat (mushy enemys) to finish an already wounded enemy.

This takes nerves of steal to use though and requires pinpoint timing. You may lose your first few times, i did but now I nearly always win.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon
While not wanting to be a power gamer there is a list I use and it follows a similar tactic, shock and awe. The shock comes first and second turn when concealed pathfinders use thier scout move to break cover and then hail down as many seekers as possible (your idea). The awe comes when my four teams of firewarriors zip forward supported by hammerheads and my stealth team and commander deep strike very close to the enemy. My devil fish tankshock and ram wherever possible and I occasionaly commit my commander and stealth suits to combat (mushy enemys) to finish an already wounded enemy.

This takes nerves of steal to use though and requires pinpoint timing. You may lose your first few times, i did but now I nearly always win.
LOL, minus the seeker missles this is almost the exact strategy I use, though I outflank with my stealth suits instead of deepstriking. I can tell from playing against eldar/ork/IG/CSM that this strat and similar variations works quite well as it keeps your opponent disoriented and unable to focus fire. As a matter of fact the last game I played was against eldar and by the end of turn 4 he only had 1 unit of Swooping Hawks, 3 dire avengers, 5 guardians, and 2 dark reapers left on the board.

On a side note, if you want to play this army list, I say go for it. Your opponent might complain like an impotent jerk but he should just try to find ways to combat this type of army set up. Either that or you will get crushed.

Hell its a game, try any set up you can think of.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 22:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I have to assume that when someone agrees to play a tau player, or any other player, they want to participate in the game - and that means more than just removing casualties.
hmmm... well said, Wargamer. I completely agree. There's discussion among some Tau players of using the Positional Relay to keep the lion share of a cadre off of the board until turn four, and then running for objectives - to me, that's extremely unsporting. JSJ is one thing, but actually keeping your models off of the board to prevent them getting shot? That's a bit much.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote