Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Infantry Target Lock ... Again
Old 07 Aug 2008, 16:37   #1 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Infantry Target Lock ... Again

I called the GW rules guys and asked them how Tau players were supposed to interpret the Infantry Target Lock in 5th Ed (spoke to a guy named Jeff) since it wasn't in the FAQ. He said that the Target Lock no longer requires a roll due to the removal of the Target Priority rule from 5th.

Now I know that this will not change the minds of some on the board due to the fact that GW sometimes gives contradictory rulings over the phone but I was thinking... If a lot of us call and ask the same question we might be able to get them to resolve the issue in the next Tau FAQ. At least they will know that it's out there.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Infantry Target Lock ... Again

Has there been a FAQ released since the last Tau codex was released? I looked on the GW site (US) and couldn't find any. Have I been mistaken?

Thanks in advance..
I would march to battle with copies of the constitution pinned to me like purity seals
Lyk4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 16:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Yes on the Uk site you had a 4th ed Tau Empire FAQ and since July 11th there is a 5th Ed FAQ.

Actually on July 11th they upgraded (and I use the term loosely) all FAQ. on July 14 the Blood Angel mini-dex, on July 24th the Dark Angel and Space marines had a second version done, and on July 28th the witchHunter had a second version done.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 16:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyk4n
Has there been a FAQ released since the last Tau codex was released? I looked on the GW site (US) and couldn't find any. Have I been mistaken?

Thanks in advance..
It is 6th from the top here (its on the US site... When did you look? ???):

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...400019&start=3

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

yeah, I guess if you take it rules as written you'd have to take a target priority test. Since there is no target priority then there is no target priority test. But then again, target priority was just a leadership test. So I guess there is an equally valid point for both sides. I interpretted the rule to mean that you take a leadership test because I figured it would be fair. But if it's the case that this is no longer neccessary then I'll be taking hardwired target locks on my command suits and their body guards as standard issue.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 17:59   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar, Master of Armour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyk4n

Thanks in advance..
It is 6th from the top here (its on the US site... When did you look? ???):

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...400019&start=3
Thanks a lot! I didn't really know where to look, since they did the redesign of the site I've been a little lost.. ???
I would march to battle with copies of the constitution pinned to me like purity seals
Lyk4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 18:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't have my codex on me, but what would the significance of this interpretation going our way mean? Would we be able to pretty much target a commander in a squad and just have to announce we're doing it?

Or would it just be to allow our suits to fire at different units while in the same squad, because if that's the case I've been doing it with no leadership test since the beginning of 5th edition.
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 18:36   #8 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texibus
I don't have my codex on me, but what would the significance of this interpretation going our way mean?
It allows the equipped unit to split fire without having to pass a check. Which is the way my group has been playing since 5th was released.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 18:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah thanks for that. I've been playing this way mainly because If they didn't make the leap on this a lot of other armies would go broke. So I see a lot more leniency in rules.
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 19:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texibus
I don't have my codex on me, but what would the significance of this interpretation going our way mean?
It allows the equipped unit to split fire without having to pass a check. Which is the way my group has been playing since 5th was released.
I have been playing 5th where a leadership test is still required to use the Target lock system. Simply because the codex rules over ride the general rule book rules. Even if there is nothing in the 5th edition book about target priority, if the codex explains that you are supposed to pass a leadership test verbatum then you must do that. I don't have codex on me so I will have to look it up later, but I am sure that is what it is.

If not then targetlocks recieved a decent "buff" just like the disruption pods.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote