Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

why use fire-warriors and not gun drones?
Old 07 Aug 2008, 01:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to fiercegoldfish
Default why use fire-warriors and not gun drones?

gun drones are just a little bit more expensive but have twin linked carbines which, even though they have a lower BS, hit more often than a fire warrior w/ carbine (5 out of 9 hit as opposed to 4.5 out of 9), and drones have jump packs or w/e. so, besides the lower leadership, why use fire-warriors with carbines and not gun drones?
Old 07 Aug 2008, 01:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: why use fire-warriors and not gun drones?

Well... Firewarriors can capture objectives, the firepower/accuracy you mention is quite prodigious when you factor in rapid-fire, and over all they are still cheaper...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 01:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quite simply: Volume and cost.

If my math is still good, you get 11 fire warriors for the cost of 8 gundrones.

Furthermore the top you can have is 24 gundrones, where as you can have 72 fire warriors...even with half of them with pusle carbine, it's still a lot better.

Now if by Fire warrior you mean pathfinder (in which case, I strongly recommand you use the proper term to avoid confusion) Then still pathfinder is a better choice (despite the fact that the max is also 24) simply because of the markerlight. It is now so much more important...more so then a twin-linked carbine which will rarely succeeed in pinning someone.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 01:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Fluff-wise, it makes no sense not to mass produce gun drones rather than train fire warriors. This is 40K fluff however...
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Doctor Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 01:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I think it would be very interesting to see Gun Drones moved to Troops in the next iteration of the Tau Codex. I dont know, if I was a military planner and I had an autonomous mass producable unit that had roughly the same battlefield effectiveness as a my standard infantry then there would be no reason not to just send in the drones.

But as it stands Drones are fast attack and Fire warriors are troops. You need troops to capture objectives. Also, when you factor in fire warriors rapid firing then the benefit is obvious. You're never likely to pin anyone in this game in the first place but with the change to the pinning rules then it's more likely than before. Now they have to test for every wound unsaved. It's a pretty big change and I like it.

I'd take more drones if it was possible, but I'd still always have fire warriors on the field.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 03:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Fluff-wise, the Tau really do use drones - they're extremely casualty conscious! They deployed hundreds of automated gun turrets all over T'Ros - the Imperial Guard reported destroying 300, and there could have been even more.

The Tau use drones in pretty much everything they do.

Game wise: gun drones are, arguably, better fighters than Fire Warriors. Slightly better accuracy, better close combat skills, and they're jet pack infantry - all for two points more! But, the cons have been pointed out: not Troops, small squad size, more expensive.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 03:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think they're best used as a shield for Firewarriors out of a Farsight list. Gun drones are restricted in Farsight lists like a lot of units are. There is your entire fast attack portion of the army.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 05:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Tau, fluff-wise, don't use drones over warriors because the things are just plain dumb. It says in the codex that they're incapable of operating by themselves for more than a short period of time. As well, they most likely need significantly more maintenance than a fire warrior's armour. Finally, they don't have the decision making skills of the Tau, and would not be particularly effective in many "real life" combat situations. For example, can they differentiate between combatants and civilians? Can they identify important objectives/situations that, while not part of the original battle plan, could be a deciding factor.
Old 07 Aug 2008, 06:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

This is all true. However, I'd like to think they could differentiate between combatants and non-combatants. If this was the case then they couldn't be used to defend Tau Civilians at all. Because then how could they tell the difference between a human and a Tau? They're about the same height and same shape and all. I dont think the Tau would use a weapon that kills indescriminitely unless they really needed to kill absolutely everyone. I wouldn't put it past them, I'm just saying it doesn't sound like the kind of thing they'd do often.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 06:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

IA:3 makes it clear that drone turrets can distinguish between friend and foe and are capable of autonomously choosing their own targets.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote