Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Kroot the back bone of mid game Tau?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Are Kroot the back bone of mid game Tau?

Could the Tau survive mid-game without the kroot?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:19   #2 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Are Kroot the back bone of mid game Tau?

I've never used kroot, and i havn't had many problems except with nids on a quarter deployment(no where to move!)
Old 04 Aug 2008, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, Tau could get on fine without Kroot, sure they can last for a long time in forests and can be a pain to remove (especially if you have multiple squads of them, this way, even small groups can survive to capture objectives in mid-game), but they aren't crucial.

Harlequin2 8)
Making clowning around, a profession...
Harlequin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I generally find them to be economical and incredibly helpfull. I dont however, find them to be mission critical. When your opponent really focuses on getting rid of them it's not that tough, but if they're focusing on your kroot then usually their not focusing on something more critical, like crisis suits, stealth suits, and fire warriors.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 19:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In fifth edition I think they are really shining. They are pretty versatile and have some neat tricks. They keep the heat of your fire line because they are generally deployed up so far that most players see them as an imidiate threat. Lately, I just use them for an out flank manuever and it turns out amazing. I can't tell you how many times they have saved squads of units from earthshaker rounds just by exercising that move or obliterated a heavy squad at the back of the enemey's line.

I think they are pretty critical.
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 21:41   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Not essential. but very economical to field.

I have started using them more since 5th release, due to their increase flexibility.
Animist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 07:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are so many things you can do with the kroot,and they're very cheap for what they provide. Traditional infiltrating in front of a firing line to soak up the assault still works as it did before, but you now have other tricks. Place an objective in or near forest, infiltrate the kroot in it, and have them go to ground when fired at. (watch the amount of firepower your opponent has to pour into these 7-point models with a 3+ cover save!) Outflank can do an impressive amount of damage if your opponent leaves anything within 18 inches of a short side of the table. And you don't botch the outflank roll and have them show up on the wrong side, of course. It's even been suggested that you can do a Fish of Fury with kroot since dedicated transports are no longer quite so dedicated.

EDIT: Oops, that's a 2+ cover save when they go to ground. Pretty impressive for 7 points!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 18:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animist
Not essential. but very economical to field.

I have started using them more since 5th release, due to their increase flexibility.
In what ways have they become more flexible? (I'm a noob and trying to understand the changes to Tau since 5th ed..)
I would march to battle with copies of the constitution pinned to me like purity seals
Lyk4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 19:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

mainly they can use th new outflank rule, and they tend to get a cover save of 4+ considering the new line of sight rules.
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow I read the title as "mind game" and thought, yes how existential: Kroot mess with people's minds.

then I read the first few posts and realized my mistake :-\

Kroot are a diversion that die horribly in the first two turns like good little space chickens. Divert enemy fire, hope for a lucky chance to charge out of the woods. Earn your 70 points.

If what you actually mean is can Kroot survive til mid-game, I'd be interested in hearing how without good leadership dice rolling

Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote