Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Gun drone Body Guards
Old 04 Aug 2008, 07:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Gun drone Body Guards

I read a (perhaps somewhat dated?) strategy for Tau that involved the player getting a Shas'O Battlesuit Commander and then making him, as an independent character, join a gun drone squadren (one of the fast attack options) The Gun Drones can keep up with him, and he can use these drones as fire support, but mostly to give the Shas'O 8 extra 'wounds'. (He is now in a unit, so he can disperse the wounds across the gun drones).

Does this work well, or has the 5th edition rules cahnged it? It seemed like a relatively cheap way to add wounds and make a solid entourage for your Shas'O!

Let me know!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 08:00   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Gun drone Body Guards

It doesnt work so well any more cos of wound alocation, depends who you are fighting though and what you get shot by.

If you take say 11 wounding shots from bolters, then wound allocation mean you MUST give 8 to the drones followed by 3 to the commander, as he has 3 wounds and the drones only have 1 each. Then you role those nasty saves.

But against lascannon fire its likely to be quite effective still because it would mean alot of lascannon shots would be required.

Give your commander stim injector instead, its a 4+ invulnerable rolled after you take a wound from failing a save.
Animist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 10:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animist
It doesnt work so well any more cos of wound alocation, depends who you are fighting though and what you get shot by.

If you take say 11 wounding shots from bolters, then wound allocation mean you MUST give 8 to the drones followed by 3 to the commander, as he has 3 wounds and the drones only have 1 each. Then you role those nasty saves.

But against lascannon fire its likely to be quite effective still because it would mean alot of lascannon shots would be required.

Give your commander stim injector instead, its a 4+ invulnerable rolled after you take a wound from failing a save.
Wait why does he get 3 wounds while the others only get 1?
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 10:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

wait thats not how i read it... how i read it was that if you have SEVERAL of the same multi wounded models (squads of identical nobs/crisis team/ogryns/nid warriors) then you have to go through each one first... but thats only if they are exactly the same. so in this example you have to allocate them evenly so it would be 1 on each of the units and then 2 left to e put on 2 diffrent units. and it doesn't matter about that rule because he's the only mutli wound model and diffrent from the rest

And the original tactic was to get a squad of gun drones and put him in the centre but not to join them... that was he can never be shot unless they get rid most of the drones.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 13:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm with Merqu about wound allocation.

This gave me a nasty idea though. Shas'O + 2 Gun drones joins a full stealth team already carrying 12 drones...

A giant 21-model team of JSJ, stealthed special weapons platform at BS5, and lots and lots of wounds? Commander O'Dakka and the 7 Samurai, eat your heart out. >

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:41   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
I'm with Merqu about wound allocation.

This gave me a nasty idea though. Shas'O + 2 Gun drones joins a full stealth team already carrying 12 drones...

A giant 21-model team of JSJ, stealthed special weapons platform at BS5, and lots and lots of wounds? Commander O'Dakka and the 7 Samurai, eat your heart out. >
:cough: they will lose stealth :cough:
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 16:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

But it would still seem to me this can be slightly effective, as it means to hit my Commander they need to get at least 8 wounds before I have to apply the 9th one to the commander. Then I make the armor saves... and the armor saves on drones are a decent 4+ (assuming I get the cover save).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
And the original tactic was to get a squad of gun drones and put him in the centre but not to join them... that was he can never be shot unless they get rid most of the drones
This seems to work just as good. Can enemies not fire at him because the drones are in front of him and block their LOS? But wouldn't the true LOS rule I have heard about in 5th change this?

Old 04 Aug 2008, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting2
This seems to work just as good. Can enemies not fire at him because the drones are in front of him and block their LOS? But wouldn't the true LOS rule I have heard about in 5th change this?
priority still needs to be roll and the drones give th comander a 4+ cover save.
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 16:29   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
its because he's an independent character and at least in 4th couldn't be targetted period if another unit was closer to the firer
Old 04 Aug 2008, 16:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethXL
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
And the original tactic was to get a squad of gun drones and put him in the centre but not to join them... that was he can never be shot unless they get rid most of the drones
priority still needs to be roll and the drones give th comander a 4+ cover save.
What priority? The do not exist anymore. Nor does Independant Character status.

Anyone can declare to shoot the commander who is behind the drones (but more then 2" away or else he automatically joins). The drones simply give him cover save bonus.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote