Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Could the Kroot alone win a game?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:41   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Could the Kroot alone win a game?

Could the kroot alone win a game?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Are Kroot the back bone of mid game Tau?

There are army lists designed purely with tau in mind.

Kroot can help in a pre conceived battle plan, but if not played to the strength of the list, there is no point to them.

The tau infiltrators to me say, strike at a weak spot so the rest can flourish.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Are Kroot the back bone of mid game Tau?

Well this would be more appropriate in the tau forum, since we are not talking about kroot mercenary.

Like pepsi mentionned, the kroot are not mandatory in a Tau list and you can do pretty well without them, since our stealth suits can infiltrate as well and provide better defence, but they do constitute a fun fluffy addition.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 20:47   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Could the Kroot alone win a game?

Ehh... well if you really want to find out, play Kroot Mercenaries. Kroot are pretty mushy, however, with T3 and a 6+ save, so unless they're in a forest, prepare to lose 80+ points of bird-men in a very, very short time That said, if there IS a forest they gain a 3+ cover save (2+ if they go to ground) and, if left to stand and shoot, pretty much force your opponent to send something in and root them out. Thus, they can win games for you, but only indirectly, by distracting something else from the objective. If a small Kroot squad (about 100pts) can keep a Space Marine Tactical Squad (150-250pts) distracted for a few turns then they have technically pulled their weight.
Codex: Tinmen, Codex: Meatshields, Codex: Ghostbusters, Codex: Secret police, Codex: Spiky Tinmen, Codex: Ghosties, Codex: Emos, Codex: Dark Emos, Codex: Zombies, Codex: Beetles, Codex: Chavs, Codex: Communists. Now who's who?
DanTay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 00:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

On the subject of kroot hounds, I've been meaning to get my hands on a unit of kroothounds for months. Initiative 5? I'll take that! I'd finally be able to get attacks before the space marines that I take the kroot to counter! I'm probably going to take about a dozen of them. 36 Strength 5 attacks on the charge is pretty awesome in my book.

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong thread. My bad...
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well tbh I don't think they could win alone, but if used really well, and your opponent thinks your using normal Tau, then you may do pretty well.

Also, whats the difference between infiltrate and deep strike? Just noticed you guys saying them a bit :P
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 09:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Infiltrating is deploying the appropriate unit in front of your main army after both sides have deployed (so the Kroot can start the game in a forest in the middle of the table, for example). Deep Striking is basically deploying it mid-game, but it's more risky than setting it up normally. That said, if used successfully it can screw up your opponent's battle plan.
Codex: Tinmen, Codex: Meatshields, Codex: Ghostbusters, Codex: Secret police, Codex: Spiky Tinmen, Codex: Ghosties, Codex: Emos, Codex: Dark Emos, Codex: Zombies, Codex: Beetles, Codex: Chavs, Codex: Communists. Now who's who?
DanTay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 15:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

if you are playing a shooty army you might be able to win, not shure about nids... and if it has lots of vehicles no... thats about it from me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
On the subject of kroot hounds, I've been meaning to get my hands on a unit of kroothounds for months. Initiative 5? I'll take that! I'd finally be able to get attacks before the space marines that I take the kroot to counter! I'm probably going to take about a dozen of them. 36 Strength 5 attacks on the charge is pretty awesome in my book.

I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong thread. My bad...
I don't think kroot have furious charge? so 36 str 4 attacks, which is still not bad, you will end up wounding 6 marines in which 5 will save (mathhammer, actual game rolls may vary)

Back to the main topic, kroot alone are not a compulsory unit so you would have to take atleast 1 unit of fire warriors since they are +1... But if you ran 5 full units of kroot (32 models) and infiltrated or outflanked ALL of them, you would make a mess out of a lot of things. Not to mention if you had decent long range fire power to cut down the heavy gear on the field for them.

However, they die easier than IG so you better like taking models off the table.
magickrat4 is offline   Reply With Quote