Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devil fish ? Are they worth it ?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:29   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Devil fish ? Are they worth it ?

well I got 3 stealths , r'ymr, 2 fire warrior squads and a broad side .

should I get two devil fish for my army ?

I havn't played in a city map before but I know for a fact that the second I do i will loose since I'm static.

something I always wanted to do is block a alley way with two devil fish and unload 50 shots into a squad and then move to another alley.

some questions I have are :

are they worth it ?
smart missiles >=?=< drones ( missiles come with devilfish ?)
can it move 12'' and shoot ?
can it move 24 inches ?
should I buy 2 devil fish for 114 or 2 mobile squads for 140?prob. mobile squad
mech army only good in cities / bad in the open ( compared to static)

thanks
Matt0690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: Devil fish ? Are they worth it ?

The only Tau vehicle that can move 24" in the Piranha, so yes, it can only move 12".

There's a whole section in your codex you should look at called the Vehicle Armory, I think it goes on for two pages. Theres some wargear in there that lets you do some nice things. As for what the Devilfish comes with, reeeeeeeaaaaaad youuuuuuurrrrrrr codexxxxxxx it tells you everything you need to know about Tau.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:38   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Devilfish are worth it if they fit into your playstyle. I personally keep 3 devilfish, with 12 FW's with carbines each sitting in my lines. When an enemy starts getting close, or I need to capture and objective or race them to backup, the devilfish takes the FW where they need to go.

Smart missile systems are handy for sure, I personally like the drones, though. Cheaper, pinning, and can still have a chance to detach and be used should the devilfish take an untimely plummet.

The devilfish can move up to 6" and fire 1 weapon, or stay stationary and fire all weapons, just like any normal tank. If you give it the Multi-Tracker upgrade to allow it to fire as if FAST, then it can move 12" and fire 1 weapon, or all weapons up to 6".

The devilfish cannot move 24". Only a FAST Skimmer can move this far, on a flat-out movement. The farthest a devilfish can move is 12".

Always give the fish a squad to chase. This way the squad can start in the tank if needed... if not you can still use the fish to pick up someone else.

Mobile armies are great for open terrain battles. They allow quick movement to objectives, and as I said above, counter and reaction for where a line starts to break or an enemy unit moves where you didn't think it would. I generally try not to use my fish as screens or walls unless necessary, as many games I've had to load my FW back up and move them, so being without a fish would hurt. City fight alley ways...try turning the fish into an adjacent alley and turning it so you can drop the FW into the alley. Or if it's a single straight-away, turn it butt-forward and unload. This way the fish is still able to be used as an escape option.
Lawlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Devilfish are definitely worth it.
seriously you can take objectives and are immune to small arms fire and can take long range antitank with the right upgrades. Disruption pods. Just beware of meltaguns. Seriously you can become really hare to kill in close combat on be on an objective with a devilfish with Fires warriors while continually jumping over the objective moving more than six inches so that the enemy hits you on 6s in cc.
Old 04 Aug 2008, 04:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I love my devilfish. I always try to sympathize with my fire warriors and think, "would I want to go into battle without an armored transport?" That having been said, the answer is invariably no! Hehe... I like using them to keep my fire warriors moving fast, and to provide cover for the fire warriors. With true line of sight there's a chance that enemy units and models that are perched higher up will not see your fire warriors if positioned correctly behind the fish. Also, units firing under it at your troops will grant a 4+ cover save to the fire warriors their shooting at, which is also nice.

I imagine that you could run a static fire warrior list without any fish. However, I haven't done this in quite sometime. Not since my first couple of games. Then I learned fast that fire warriors in fish are pretty much twice as affective if used correctly. I then went ahead and bought 4 devilfish. I'm probably going to buy 1 or 2 more at some point in case I wanna play a really big game, or an apocolypse style game.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 13:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

IIRC, Fast skimmer now only move to 18" is they go flat out.

Personally, I don't use any devilfish in my army except for my pathfinder and I always go Warfish ('fish with SMS)...and in a CoD setting a warfish would be more useful since SMS have more range and doesn't require LOS...so you could take a pot shot at his hidden HQ 24" away...sure he gets cover save if he's in or touching cover but why not try?

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Nah, a fast skimmer still moves 24". Fast vehicles move 18" flat out, fast skimmers 24" flat out.
Lawlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 13:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always take devil fish for all fire warrior squads as their useful for getting to a objective and are pretty tough for a transport to boot. AV 12, 11, 10. Plus the extra 5 shots can help in a pinch as well as the two gun drones.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 18:52   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Nope, fast [glow=red,2,300]skimmers[/glow] can still move 24", but fast [glow=red,2,300]ground vehicles [/glow] can move only 18".

EDIT: Oops, already been said. Ah well. But I guess Fishes can help with mobility (I'd love to drop twelve Fire Warriors in front of and enemy and use markerlights to get to BS5!) although I only have a Combat Patrol and my Fish is for the Pathfinders.
Codex: Tinmen, Codex: Meatshields, Codex: Ghostbusters, Codex: Secret police, Codex: Spiky Tinmen, Codex: Ghosties, Codex: Emos, Codex: Dark Emos, Codex: Zombies, Codex: Beetles, Codex: Chavs, Codex: Communists. Now who's who?
DanTay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If you play Apacolypse at all there is an awesome Apoc formation that allows you to use your devilfish as fast skimmers.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote