Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How are the Vehicle Facings at Tau vehicles?? i.e. Piranha
Old 03 Aug 2008, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How are the Vehicle Facings at Tau vehicles?? i.e. Piranha

We have encountered problems concerning the warhammer 40,000 rules.
When Shooting at a Tau Piranha we are in discussion whether the "wings”, where the drones are located, are also part of the hull of the piranha. My Brother (tau) Thinks that the wings are part of the hull of the piranha and therefore says that he has a wide front armor and a narrow rear armor in a plane view a trapezium shape (see below picture)
(I had no pictures of a normal piranha therefore I included pictures of a piranha TX- 42, this one also has wings)

I (Space Marines) think that the "wings" ,where the drones are located, are NOT part of the hull of the piranha. And therefore give a plane view in a rectangular shape (see below picture)

Is there anyone who can explain this to us? And what are the rules when looking at( for example) a Tau Devilfish and its Hull??
I Also Included 2 Blanco images for you to explain by image. ( You can use Paint, I Also used that as well)

Thanks

”Red Moon Marine” Ricardon

Edit: Changed Title for better topic coverage
freggel1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 18:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: What is the Hull At Tau Vehicles like Piranha???

You've got it right. You draw an X from the centerpoint of the vehicle, that determines the F,S,R. Your brothers X is too far back to be the center of the vehicle. Not like it matters, Piranhas will fall to a butterfly landing on them anyway.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: What is the Hull At Tau Vehicles like Piranha???

The wings on the Piranha and Devilfish are definitely part of the hull. You can't move through them. Would you claim that you could not attack the Piranha in close combat if you can only move far enough to contact the wing? Do you measure ranges to the wings? Same thing with the engines on the Devilfish. The only parts of a vehicle in 40k that aren't a part of the hull are weapon barrels projecting beyond it. So you can not change the facings of a Hammerhead by moving the Railgun around, and you can't charge a Devilfish if you can only just reach the end of the Burst Cannon sticking out in front (same thing with sponson weapons on Imperial tanks.)

The first picture is right in the front, although the rear lines should be drawn to the outer cowls on the Piranha TX-42. In the second picture, the front facing is too small, but the rear facing is correct.

On a regular Piranha, the rear facing is fairly small if you measure from the center of the vehicle. Thankfully this doesn't matter since the side armor facings are the same.

For the Devilfish, these are the facings:

Two ways to think about the Piranha, which I will illustrate by borrowing Shae'el Tael's Piranha line art. Corner to corner, the facings look like this:

Center out to corners, they look more like this:

The facings on the vehicle are the same, but the quarters extending out from them are a little screwy. By the letter of the rules, you would use the latter quadrants. GW didn't really do us any favors by demonstrating with a rectangular Imperial Tank. The Piranha is basically a triangle, and as such its fourth quadrant is very narrow.

On the XV-42, the engine cowlings are not just there to look cool. They also make the vehicle less triangular, increasing the size of its rear arc. This is more important since the armor facings are different on the variant.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2008, 20:40   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: How are the Vehicle Facings at Tau vehicles?? i.e. Piranha

thanks for the info
greets freggel
freggel1978 is offline   Reply With Quote