Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal Equipment rules
Old 03 Aug 2008, 05:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ethereal Equipment rules

Hey, this is likely a ridiculous question but it says in the Tau codex that Ethereals can use any equipment from the infantry armory, and pulse rifles are in that section of the book.

I know it probably is a typo, but is it possible to give an ethereal a ranged weapon, they do have a BS, so would it be that far fetched. I also think an ethereal with a pulse rifle or carbine and an honor staff would be really awesome to model.

I did use the search bar but found no answers and was afraid of necromancy, so I didn't post in any old topics. :-[
Old 03 Aug 2008, 05:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Ethereal Equipment rules

No sadly they cannot. It says so in the text in the infantry armory. If you have access to the infantry armory you get to buy o the stuff at the points cost. The sad thing is you cannot buy a gun but you can give an ethereal an hardwired multitraker so pointless...
Old 03 Aug 2008, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A Ballistic Skill means they're capable of firing a weapon. The units with a BS of 0 means they physically cannot fire a weapon. An example is Genestealers.

The Infantry Armoury is only the white box in the middle of page 28, the rest is just explaining what the various equipment available to different infantry is.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 07:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

Whenever I fielded an ethereal, I typcally made the amusing choice of giving him grenades. That way, should a unit hes with is assaulted, photon grenades are in effect, and he can potentially damage tanks with his cheap EMP.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
Whenever I fielded an ethereal, I typcally made the amusing choice of giving him grenades. That way, should a unit hes with is assaulted, photon grenades are in effect, and he can potentially damage tanks with his cheap EMP.
Ethereals taking Death or Glory! tests: the most ballsy thing ever. Man, if you pull it off, your whole army should get Fearless forever.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer

Well, not exactly Death or Glory! As much as assaulting nearby enemy tanks with that chance to nuke it's insides with a delicious energy pulse.

But Death or Glory would definitely be a move requiring some balls of solid nano-crystalline structure, cause steel just doesn't cut it like it used to. 8)
Old 03 Aug 2008, 17:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRedeemer
Unfortunately he can't take the Photon Grenades. It's not in that section to be bought. Only the EMP are. But I do give him EMPs and a HW DC (Usually 2 shield drones), sometimes even a Bonding Knife in case for some strange reason the Shas'ui of his bodyguard dies or a unit he joins doesn't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Unfortunately he can't take the Photon Grenades. It's not in that section to be bought. Only the EMP are. But I do give him EMPs and a HW DC (Usually 2 shield drones), sometimes even a Bonding Knife in case for some strange reason the Shas'ui of his bodyguard dies or a unit he joins doesn't have one.
I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex: Tau Empire, p. 33 - Ethereal
He may select equipment from the Infantry Armoury.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 17:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

why give the ethereal bonding knife... or his honour guard for that matter... the unit the ethereal joins is fearless and wont take leadership tests so they wont break.... and you can't join a broken unit...
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 19:00   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

an etheral can have a gun of somekind but it will be rewuired to be discuseed and agreed apon by all players as you normally cannot.