Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Paradox of 3+ re-rollable cover saves? What now?
Old 02 Aug 2008, 19:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to D Black
Default Paradox of 3+ re-rollable cover saves? What now?

Just flicking through my Tau Dex and a taught struck me can Aun'va and Co. go to ground and with combination of the Paradox of Duality he get's a 3+ cover save (re-rollable) even in the open.

Methinks i might Field him now especially because if he gets charged his guard get 4 str 5 attacks each striking 1st, dang that's good against Orks, Nids, and Guard

Still though he is 205pts (just a tad expensive :)

Quote from: Wargamer

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
D Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 19:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Paradox of 3+ re-rollable cover saves? What what what now?

Er... Guard maybe, but Nids and Orks will still paste him in combat. 4 attacks will not put down enough Orks or Tyranids to stop the payback annihilating them, and he does not get his re-rollable save in CC.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Er... Guard maybe, but Nids and Orks will still paste him in combat. 4 attacks will not put down enough Orks or Tyranids to stop the payback annihilating them, and he does not get his re-rollable save in CC.
No no you miss understand my purpose of him
not as a Assault unit but if a squad of Orks got to him (note they would have been reduced to say between 4 and 8 from shooting. Aun'Va gets charged and I get 8 attacks at Str 5 at a higher inititave just as long as i don't get charged by nob's regardless His body guard are still T5 and have a 4+ save, plus get to strike 1st

Metal fans are allowed to use stereotyped generalisations of other types of music. Why? Because the "avatar" of Rap and similar music is a binged up black guy who holds his gun in such a way as he will probably shoot his own foot off in a gunfight. The avatar of Metal is a bearded, unwashed Scandinavian guy who kills you, your family, your town, your country and the neighbouring country because there isn't much else to do up in the snowy fjords of Vikingland.
Old 02 Aug 2008, 19:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'd still rather not have him. The points are much better spent on more dakka.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

here's an interesting thing to consider. If Aun'Va and his body guards are attacked do they always strike first in close combat? Because here's the thing... If you charge someone who is in cover (ie receiving a cover save) then they strike first. Aun'Va and his guards always get a cover save. So does that mean that they always strike first unless someone has offensive grenades? I dont think he would, but I haven't figured out exactly why as I dont have access to my rule book right now.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2008, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
here's an interesting thing to consider. If Aun'Va and his body guards are attacked do they always strike first in close combat? Because here's the thing... If you charge someone who is in cover (ie receiving a cover save) then they strike first. Aun'Va and his guards always get a cover save. So does that mean that they always strike first unless someone has offensive grenades? I don't think he would, but I haven't figured out exactly why as I don't have access to my rule book right now.
May i refare you to Dark Eldar Mandrakes, They always have a 5+ cover save and Then goes on to explain that because of this they will strike 1st in combat.
Same applies to the nid lictor so i don't see why it would apply to them yet not apply to another

Old 02 Aug 2008, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Interesting stuff D Black. I did not know that. That's cool to know. So then I guess that's the case. Aun'va always strikes first when charged. That makes him slightly less useless. The Improved cover save thing is interesting though. A 3+ re-rollable cover save even in the open is actually pretty handy. However, there's little else about Aun'Va that would make him worth the 205 points.
Old 02 Aug 2008, 23:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well fearless is so much more important now because of combat res n' all

Plus his almost inivitable death has a good side what with prefered enemy being sligtly better

So with all the pro's of Aun'va methinks he's slightly better value than a standard Aun (which has 0 protection, 0 benitits if Dies, 0 combat ability)

Old 03 Aug 2008, 05:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
here's an interesting thing to consider. If Aun'Va and his body guards are attacked do they always strike first in close combat? Because here's the thing... If you charge someone who is in cover (ie receiving a cover save) then they strike first. Aun'Va and his guards always get a cover save. So does that mean that they always strike first unless someone has offensive grenades? I dont think he would, but I haven't figured out exactly why as I dont have access to my rule book right now.
He probably counts as being in cover because stealthed tau units do. Keep in mind, though, that in 5th edition being in cover does not guarantee that you're going to get to swing. If the guys charging you have grenades, which most units who are likely to charge you will, then the cover has no effect on initiative and combat proceeds normally. I think his bodyguards have a rule that they swing even if they fall down, so they would get to swing, but not because of cover.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2008, 05:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Paradox of 3+ re-rollable cover saves? What now?

Indeed, I'm well aware of the grenades thing. All too often I've tried to use my kroot to defend themselves in cover only to have my opponent say, "nope! grenades!" It's like, why even have a rule if almost EVERYONE can circumvent it?! hehe...