Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas in 5th ???
Old 01 Aug 2008, 01:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Piranhas in 5th ???

As I was listening to a podcast today they brought up some poinst about the faq at GW one of the observations brought the question?

Is the piranha feasible in a tourney environment?

The reason I ask this is when a squadron of piranha hit the table your opponent has the ability to take 6 kill points from you. As opposed to say a squadron of sentinels, land speeders, etc. that give up 3 KP, the free squishy drone squad that comes w/ the sentinels count as a KP in addition to the one for the piranha.

Will you field them more or less in 5th edition with this in mind?

I pose this questions to the community I am curious to see the opinions of other players.
"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 02:58   #2 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Piranhas in 5th ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogal Dorn 1
that give up 3 KP, the free squishy drone squad that comes w/ the piranha count as a KP in addition to the one for the piranha.
As far as i understand as long as the drones stay with the vehicles and not disembarked they count as being apart of the piranha's unit. I've never really found them to useful in games, to expensive and squishy for me(havn't tried them in 5th but i'm not expecting anything different from 4th)
Old 01 Aug 2008, 03:41   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I honestly don't think drones should count as a separate unit for the purposes of kill points. That just seems silly. I was sorting hoping the FAQ would address it. It might be time to start hammering on the gates.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 06:59   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I feel they are worth taking but not as a single unit.....2X3 or 4X3 or 6x3. If your enemy spends too many of his resources per turn trying to get those 6 points you are going to decimate him with the rest of your army.
RB25DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 12:56   #5 (permalink)
RcR
Kroot Shaper

In the codex it does say if the drones disembark they create a new unit that moves separately from the vehicles. That seems to be the only way someone can claim extra VPs from the drones.
Old 01 Aug 2008, 13:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I ditched my piranhas, <_< I liked them, but I needed more troops

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 13:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I field EITHER a squadron of piranhas, OR a Deepstrike 'fusion' (fusion plus w/e I am in the mood for) team. My selection of these options seems to vary on the number of Fast Attack units I have available. It tends to swing to Crisis teams in large point games (>1700), as in this config I need two slots of pathfinders (oh and my gun drones ). In lower points games, they are staring at 3 warfish a hammerhead and 3 piranhas, than then staring at their Dev squad going "Good luck guys". (NOTE: They then look at their predator and say OK I can do this )
Old 01 Aug 2008, 17:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I'm pretty sure that the extra drones dont count for the purpose of kill points. Whenever I've played I reached an agreement that the drones dont count for kill points but they cant contest objectives either.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

slightly OT: Are each Piranha with a Target lock able to shoot at different targets? Example: You have three Piranhas and each has a target lock (or just two of them). Two of them have fusion blasters and the third has the burst cannon. You get to the enemies back line and have a target rich environment (1 transport, one tank, and a squad of troops), can each of the Piranhas go "I'm shooting at <insert target>." and have that be different for each one?

I know this sounds dumb, but I just wanted to know, and I couldn't find out anything about it.
Old 01 Aug 2008, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes if they each have a TL they can each fire at something different. This is what makes them so lethal. They can move down board in one turn and shoot 15 different vehicles with Fusion Blasters (assuming you max out pirahna)
RB25DET is offline   Reply With Quote