Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

target lock?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default target lock?

in 4th you would make a Target Priority test and if passed the target lock would allow you to shoot at 2+ targets. How does this work in 5th ed now? as there are no more target priority tests?
yamdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: target lock?

You didn't take a target priority test, a Target Lock allows the model equipped with it to fire at a seperate unit than the rest of his unit is targeting. Thats all, no priority tests required unless I'm completely mistaken so its a moot issue.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I've got no idea what Ophil is talking about but Vash is correct. The target lock is really the same as ever. Normally a single unit must always fire at the same target. However, a target lock allows any model armed with a Target Lock in a unit to fire independently of the rest of the unit. To do this you take a LEADERSHIP test (not target priority) and if passed any model with a target lock my fire at whomever they have line of sight to.

So no vash you are not completely mistaken... you are completely correct. hehe... ;D
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:29   #4 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Huh?

My codex states "One Target Priority test is made for the unit - if passed, all the separate shots are taken; if failed, all shooting must be at the nearest target, as specified by the Target Priority rule."

So there was a test required but now there is no target priority rule - so no test required.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

No target priority in 5th, so the models with target locks can split their fire freely.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 14:56   #6 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

It just hit me that Vash was thinking of a vehicle Target Lock, which doesn't require a Target Priority test because vehicles never had to make priority tests. However, all other Target Lock equipped units did have to take the test in 4th.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 15:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Eh perhaps so, or maybe I wasn't and just worded it badly, twas like 4:00 AM when I posted that so I dunno.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 00:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Infantry / Battlesuit target-lock is one of many things that should have been addressed in the FAQ but wasn't. The codex says that with a successful target priority test you can fire at multiple units, none of which have to be the closest. Since target priority tests don't exist in 5th edition it's a bit of a question. The most reasonable interpretation, which just about everybody seems to accept, is that you roll a leadership. If you pass it the unit can split fire; if you fail it all the models in the unit have to fire at the same target.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 17:58   #9 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Infantry / Battlesuit target-lock is one of many things that should have been addressed in the FAQ but wasn't.
I agree their FAQ was horrible. It left way to many things in limbo and (IMO) displayed a failure on their part to adequately review the current Tau Codex as it relates to the 5th Ed rules. In short I think they just went through the motions on the FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Since target priority tests don't exist in 5th edition it's a bit of a question. The most reasonable interpretation, which just about everybody seems to accept, is that you roll a leadership. If you pass it the unit can split fire; if you fail it all the models in the unit have to fire at the same target.
Why is that the "most reasonable interpretation"? As I stated before Target Lock as written is based on a rule that was removed in 5th. Since all units effectively auto-pass Target Priority tests now (because the Target Priority rule has been removed) it makes sense to treat the infantry Target Lock the same as the vehicle Target Lock. The vehicle Target Lock is written the way it is because vehicles did not have to make priority checks in 4th.

I think rewriting the rule to require a leadership test now in an example of trying to RAI the hardware as opposed to sticking with RAW.

Just as a FYI on the most-reasonable-people-accept line; I went over this very thing with the guys in my group and they seemed to think that Tau Target Lock does not need be rolled for, for the reasons stated previously. (Before anyone asks I'm the only Tau player, the rest are IG, Marines, Nids, and Chaos.)

Unfortunately I think we will see quite a bit of this type of thing crop up for a while. At least until GW gets it's 5th Ed act together.