Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The BirdCage of Fury
Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default The BirdCage of Fury

:P gawd I hope that name doesn't stick!

The premise is simple: Kroot in a Devilfish- making a mechanized attack- similar to the Fish of Fury- but in their own way.

Here we can discuss the best uses, the optimal configurations, and the sneaky tricks that fieldcraft and vehicle wargear gives us.

Here are a few thoughts and ideas along these lines, that others may correct/amened/improve upon.

Turn 1 Juggle
Here's the sequence to get the kroot in the transport turn1. The devilfish and kroot deploy with 18" of each other (24" if you feel like being deceptive and move the transport a full12"), and preferably the devilfish is starting hovering over the fire base location to-be- the kroot may be infiltrated ahead of the devilfish as well, so that when all is said and done the BCoF advanced up the board during this juggle. When the Devilfish moves, its sequence is "offload firewarriors into their firebase- THEN move"- and it moves to within 6" of all the kroot. The kroot then just pile into the Devilfish as their action. This may be super obvious.. but may need to be spelled out in any case.

BCoF into woods
Skimmers move over terrain such as woods/jungles, yet may still disembark their cargo into them. This is perfect for Kroot, making a stylish rappelling descent into a hot zone that happens to give them a 3+ cover save. I am unclear if fieldcraft allows them to outright ignore the woods for purposes of 'intervening terrain granting cover'- but if it DOES.. well then theres your reincarnated FoF right there! The devilfish would deploy in a slant approach, so that its not actually between the kroot and the target to rapidfire to pieces- yet in a good spot to screen the kroot from others out there who may wish to shoot into this insertion area.

BCoF through woods
Alternatively, your devilfish may enter the woods itself, with the use of Sensor Spines- skid to a stop in a kick-turn, and disembark the kroot out the side door out in front.

Tank Shock BCoF
This wasn't a very favorable option in 4th, but may have new light in 5th- since apparently passengers don't get crumpled so badly if the devilfish does wipe out, and since troop held objectives may be much more prevalent- then this tactic makes a lot of sense: Tank shock over the entrenched position, using sensor spines to get in there if need-be [and fletchette dischargers if you think those troops may have the Cojones to do something about it], use that beautiful devilfish front end plow to shovel them out in the open- disembark your kroot INTO the freshly cleared objective- and to add insult to injury- the kroot rapidfire the guys who were just dislodged. Sounds fun!

Kroot, Hounds or Ox
These options make the kroot a more versatile passenger that Firewarriors- able to be customized a little bit with its unit 'special weapons'. The min Carnivore pack size is 10, so that means that you could fill those last 2 spots with more kroot, 2 oxen with their big rapidfire guns, or 2 hounds if you expect things to get messy. Or, if you wanna get fancy and stylish, 1 of each! I'm a big fan of my opponent watching the unusual sight of 10 kroot pouring out of a transport, followed by two big Krootoxen- ALL ready to shoot! ;D

Rattle this cage! I dare Ya!
As I understand it, troops inside a transport can claim and hold the objective without dismounting! So, AV12 is much better than armor save - the Devilfish can just squat on the objective, letting the Kroot have a heyday operating the fancy Tau SMS systems. And if the Devilfish should ever be wrecked, the Kroot are the 'backup' entire second unit that the enemy has to dislodge to get you off of that objective. And they are kroot, who will most likely be in cover- if no cover is available, well the wreck makes for some good cover in any case!

24 Birds in a Cage is worth...
In bigger games, you can double up, and have 2 Birdcages advancing on an enemy- for many reasons: you could double the number of guns used to clear out an objective, a double skimmer wall to screen and block assault lanes while the kroot get busay, or some other intricate maneuvers such as "BCoF1 tankshocks/disembarks, BCoF2 Moves to further hamper enemy fire/assault- and disembarks as well.
[hr]

I think theres a lot of potential, and lots to discuss along these lines. There may be many other implications and benefits that I haven't stumbled upon yet. There are avenues I haven't even explored yet (drone cradle tactics, multi unit task force compositions, etc.)

But this BirdCage of Fury may be witnessed here and there in the future. The sheer difference and unusual-ness of it may be a tactical edge in its own right.

+1 for a well thought out description on this tactic. -RZ
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: The BirdCage of Fury

Wow, some good tactics in there. Kroot Guns can FINALLY be used yay! I'm really liking the idea of 10 kroots and 2 Oxes jumping out and rapid firing like crazy (20 S4 shots and 4 S7 shots). Now aren't you glad Kroot Guns are rapid fire? :P I'm definitely going to give this a try since i do have an extra fish floating around.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cool stuff, the idea of kroot in a fish is just funny though. And someone who is much more rules savvy than I should go over this and then they can all have a big debate on whether it works or not. Lets hope so.

Very intuitive thinking Calaban.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

My initial concern is whether or not the Krootox can be transported within the devilfish. A gut response is no they're too big and clumsy.

But...

A. They're infantry
B. They don't count as two models (like terminators)
C. There is no rule specifically stating K.ox cannot be transported

until a FAQ addresses this specifically, I don't see any reason why not. Careful though, deploying into woods I think forces you take a dangerous terrain test.

All in all, this is a neat tactic that I think will work nicely when your opponent doesn't expect it.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

here is a very good reason to take the sensor spines
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone Daddy
My initial concern is whether or not the Krootox can be transported within the devilfish. A gut response is no they're too big and clumsy.

But...

A. They're infantry
B. They don't count as two models (like terminators)
C. There is no rule specifically stating K.ox cannot be transported
Well truth be told in 4th Ed only pathfinder, fire warriors or ethereal with Honour guard could ake a dedicated 'fish. IIRC the rest were explicitely forbidden (at least the suits were) in the codex.

As for the Krootox, I would not be suprise to see them count as 2 passenger the same way Ogryn do...but that is to be part of next codex or a FAQ.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Our next FAQ better be more favorable than the last one.

Great little guide though! It might actually be worth taking krootox now...

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I just checks the Errata, and aside from Space Marines and Templar (I think) that were updated on July 24th and the Witch Hunter updated on July 28th, it's still the status quo for the Tau.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Wait, wait, wait is this something caused by 5th Edition (that I don't own a copy of yet)? Cause last time I checked Kroot could not be transported in another units Devilfish, as Devilfish can only be accessed as Dedicated Transports and Dedicated Transports can only transport the one unit they were purchased for. If 5th Edition has done away with the Dedicated thing then ok I guess but last time I checked this wasn't possible.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
If 5th Edition has done away with the Dedicated thing then ok I guess but last time I checked this wasn't possible.
Indeed it has.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote