Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

need help with new tau army
Old 28 Jul 2008, 20:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default need help with new tau army

About a week ago i got a good deal on a tau army, that i have no idea about. I bought the codex and am not sure what i should buy next...

Anyway, for 190 bucks i got:
1 commander
9 crisis suits
9 stealth suits
60 fire warriors
28 kroot
6 kroot hounds
2 krootox
28 gun drones
2 broadsides
3 hammerheads
1 skyray
1 ethereal
1 shield drone
1 marker drone
and 1 devil fish

I will be buying a few more devil fish, but the problem I'm having is if i should buy piranhas or path finder teams..as i have only used the army twice so far i don't know what would be better tactics wise... ???
xX_hopeless_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: need help with new tau army

Pathfinder would be a great additon since markerlight is becoming more important in out tactic to negate cover saves.

Piranha...can't say don't own them therefore never used them.

Oh and concratulation..it is indeed a very very very good deal you got.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Great deal, was any of it painted/assembled? I would think most of it would be at least assembled.

Anyway...

Well, if you didn't have so many tank chassis, I would say buy only Skyray kits. For the price of one tank, you can make a tank that can be used as all 3 because the Skyray comes with all the parts for a Hammerhead too. You will probably need some magnets for the burst cannon on the front though.

I would definitely get Pathfinders. Markerlights make the Tau even better with all their abilities.

And I too have never used (or considered using) Piranhas. So I couldn't say.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 23:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar, Master of Armour
Great deal, was any of it painted/assembled? I would think most of it would be at least assembled.
everything came assembled and primed. It was sweet because the guy even gave me this rather large bit box so i could switch weapons, i think it might have all the spare tank parts too.
xX_hopeless_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 01:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That package is a sheer amount of dakka for just 190.

You should try and convert some gun drones to markers and shields (I have 6 markers, probably the largest number for any FOC army), and maybe more fishes if you want to go full Mech Tau, but really, what you have is enough to make a really big hybrid or static army.

The only thing you'd probably need to buy next is Shas'O'R'myr from IA3, if you are looking for a special character. He's cool, badass, and has a small fan club (:P) but being a FW model you have to seek agreement from your opponent to run him. GW Tau specials are too... meh to run in tournaments, but I'm staunchly Farsight, because of the challenge he gives in order to bring a 7 Samurai squad. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

You DEFINITELY should get at least 1 unit of pathfinders. I recommend 2.

As it concerns piranhas, they're an acquired taste. They're certainly usefull, although not as usefull as in 4th edition. In 4th they could grab objectives at the last second. Now they cant. However, they're still very usefull. They're good for chasing down enemy skimmers with Fusion blasters. If you give them burst cannons instead they're good for adding some anti-swarm shooting. They can also drop gun drones around the battlefield as well.

A preferred tactic is to strap on a couple of seeker missiles and jet around to the flanks and rear of enemy vehicles then use marker lights to fire away. It seems to work well.

Hope this helps.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, pathfinders are good, but remember---you have to have one devilfish for each squad you bring. You don't have to keep the devilfish with that unit now (thx 5th edition), but you still have to have a few. This has proved to be real annoyance for me, since I'm in the same boat you are, only one devilfish to go around.

Anyway, I've never found piranhas to be particularly useful. It seems to me that I can find something else in my army that can do the job better anyway, usually crisis suits. They can move at the same speed and are more versatile.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

To Saracen: You are correct about crisis suits being more versatile and moving the same distance. But to analyze this statement a little, crisis suits move the same OVERALL distance and shoot. Crisis suits can move 6" shoot and then move another 6". Piranhas can move 12" and then shoot. This can be a big difference if you're tank hunting with fusion blasters and need to cross that crucial distance into melta-range. It's a pretty big difference.

Plus also they can be just as survivable or in some cases more survivable. They cant be hurt by weapons that are strength 3 from the sides and rear and they cant be hurt by strength 4 or less weapons from the front. Give them a disruption pod and they get a 4+ cover save against all shooting outside of 12" as well.

The advantage of crisis suits over piranhas I would say is that crisis suits are certainly more versatile, in terms of the range of weapons they can carry, and they're also more maneuverable. So you can shoot up an enemy unit and at the end of the turn use their assault jump to put yourself in a better position to shoot up the next enemy unit in the next turn.

You did bring up a good point though... Crisis suits and Piranhas can serve similar purposes. However I think that for what Piranhas are really good at ,which is chasing down fast vehicles and destroying them with melta weapons, Piranhas have a bigger advantage overall.

That's just my opinion.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 17:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Give them a disruption pod and they get a 4+ cover save against all shooting outside of 12" as well.
Unfortunately Piranhas can't be equipped with a disruption pod
Inqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 17:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

When did this change? Something I missed in 5th edition? I use the feeder fish as a runner to tag units that are too far away for rail rifles. I have always had pods.... ???

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote