Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's the next thing I should buy? (a poll)
View Poll Results: What should I buy next?
Firewarrior box set 14 43.75%
Devilfish 2 6.25%
Hammerhead Gun Ship 5 15.63%
Kroot Carnivore Squad 3 9.38%
Sky Ray Gunship 2 6.25%
Tau Piranha 4 12.50%
Sky Ray Missile Defence Gunship 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 2008, 10:04   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What's the next thing I should buy? (a poll)

My third year of playing and collecting Tau is coming up. With 5th edition currently out, and a number of new tactics being developed for the new rules, I was wondering, what I should buy next? I know the most important thing right now is to probably go for more troops since those are going to be scoring units. What would be best next thing for me buy which would help me battle it out in 5th edition? Giving some detail to why the suggested unit would be beneficial would also be appreciated.

I usually field a 1,500 or 1,800 point army, which are both considered norm in my club. As for my play style I tend to play static, making a fire line with my firewarriors who then benefit from the markerlight hits my pathfinders are making. I also like infiltrating my kroot to get them to tie up any assaulters, and if the mission permits, I deep strike my suits (all fire-knife).

Here's what I currently own:

HQ/special characters:

1 crisis suit commander
1 O'Shova
1 Ethereal

Elites:

2 full Crisis Battlesuit teams (6 suits total)
1 full Stealth suit team (6 suits)

Troops:

2 full Firewarriors teams (24 firewarriors total)
1 full Kroot carnivores team, 2 kroot hounds (20 kroot, 2 hounds).

Fast Attack:

1 full gun drone team (12 gun drones)
1 full pathfinder team, (6 pulse carbine markerlights, 2 rail rifles)
1 Devil Fish
1 full Vespid Stingwings team, (10 stingwings)

Heavy Support:

1 full Broadside team (3 Broadsides)
1 Sniper Drone team (3 drones, 1 spotter)
1 Hammerhead Gunship
1 Krootox
spitfire-0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: What's the next thing I should buy? (a poll)

Well my choises aren'y on your list.

I would go for more kroot hounds (preferably 10) and 2 more sniper drone squads.

Well the hounds just make sense, IMO anything below 6 hounds isn't really useful since you don't fully exploit their high initiative. More hounds = potentially more kills before your opponent can hit you in the assault phase.

The Sniper drones...personal favorite in a static force, you spread them across your table (they act independantely of each other) and cost 1 FoC slot and causing much headache to your opponent. Since they must either attack them seperately or ignore them.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I am playing 40k 3 months almost and i have 1000pts of tau army and i have a sky ray gunship,a XV88,a sniper drone team,12 fire warriors, a croot carnivore squad,a devilfish,2 crisis XV8(1 is commander),an XV25 team,a piranha and a pathfinder team (4 pathfinders)
nikerstau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In my opinion, given what you have, I think getting either another fire warrior squad, or a devilfish will help you the most.

The fire warriors, as you have said, give you more bodies and also lend your gun line additional flexibility, allowing you to potential advance/withdraw fire warriors without sacrificing too much firepower.

The devilfish will make it easier to swoop in to secure or contest objectives with a squad of fire warriors, though it does seem to shift away the playstyle from gunline tactics. In that case, maybe just a small squad of 6-8 fire warriors in the devilfish would suffice for objective holdings.

I only play with a very smell, non-tournament competitive group of friends, so take my advice with a grain of salty goodness.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

My recommendation really wasn't on there. There's a Tau box set that includes 8 Fire warriors and a Devilfish. They dont have it online anymore but they have some at the stores. If you can get your hands on it then it's an awesome deal. It's $45 last time I checked. So it's basically like buying a devilfish, but for an extra $10 you get 8 fire warriors, that you could easily convert into pahfinders if you wanted. Not bad.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd say the firewarriors off of your list of options. but you may also want to spring for more crisis suits. If you want to use the farsight you bought you'll need a list comprised mostly of Crisis suits and firewarriors.

But still you ned more fire warriors in general.

Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 15:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree with Innes.

This is a Farsight list, therefor, should be Crisis suit and Fire Warrior heavy. With the restrictions of the list you really can not take much in the way of heavy support such as Skyrays, Hammerheads, snipers etc.

Dropping O'Shova, you can then look into more snipers for anti heavy infantry, another hammerhead for anti tank, or even a few Piranha which I do not see in your list.

While I love my Stingwings, the bugs just don't seem to have the staying power that the Stealth fields give to the snipers. I'd lose the bugs.

Lastly, you have O'Shova AND you have an ethereal. Tau Fluff says that no ethereals survived in O'shova's enclave. The rules forbide ethereals in a Farsight list.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:43   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sorry if wasn't clear before hand but this is a list of everything I own and NOT an actual army list. To tell you guys the truth I've never played an O'shova list before :P. He was just a model I bought before the new codex came out since there were only two special characters back then, and I figured I should own at least one.

Thanks for the votes and advice thus far everyone! Thanks for the tip Jedibean I just looked at ebay and they're selling a Devilfish for 50 bucks with the 12 firewarriors, I'm thinking of taking that. And thanks to everyone who suggested I buy two more sniper drones, more of them will be handy (especially when they're equipped with a stealth field generator ;D)
spitfire-0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Remember: the Skyray and Hammerhead boxes cost the same, but the Skyray sprue comes with everything the Hammerhead has, plus the Skyray missile fin.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 17:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I answered hammerhead, cuz you only have one. A second one is not an option, you have to get one more ! And, as mentioned above, get the sky ray box so you have a more options and can adapt your list better.
korto is offline   Reply With Quote