Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Couple questions! Rules clarification and bitz buying!
Old 27 Jul 2008, 20:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Couple questions! Rules clarification and bitz buying!

So, as topic states, a couple quick questions and I'll be out of your hair

I'm a brand new Tau player, just started a week or two ago and getting a few games under my belt.

I had a unit of 6 Stealthsuits, 1 drone controller 5 targeting arrays. The drone controller had 2 marker light drones. I was told that this is a silly tactical idea, as if the stealthsuits move, the drones cannot fire, as markerlight is heavy. Since the marker drones become the type of unit that their controller is, this should technically make them Jump infantry (jetpack) style. Which would infer the Relentless rule, and allow them to fire their Markerlights, wouldn't it?

Second question, is there any place online to order Tau bitz or sprues? I need a bunch of drones (shield, preferrably), a skyray weapons sprue, and as many pulse carbines as I can get my pinning little hands on.

Halp plox
Lawlcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 20:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Couple questions! Rules clarification and bitz buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawlcat
I had a unit of 6 Stealthsuits, 1 drone controller 5 targeting arrays. The drone controller had 2 marker light drones. I was told that this is a silly tactical idea, as if the stealthsuits move, the drones cannot fire, as markerlight is heavy. Since the marker drones become the type of unit that their controller is, this should technically make them Jump infantry (jetpack) style. Which would infer the Relentless rule, and allow them to fire their Markerlights, wouldn't it?
Yes you are right. Under 5th ed, by being added to a jet pack unit, they gain the jep pack quality including relentless.

Under 4th ed your friends are right though.

Quote:
Second question, is there any place online to order Tau bitz or sprues? I need a bunch of drones (shield, preferrably), a skyray weapons sprue, and as many pulse carbines as I can get my pinning little hands on.
Try: http://www.thewarstore.com/TauEmpireBitz.html

This should help

edit:
Shield drone in Canada, if you are Canadian: http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefr...3033&orignav=9

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Again, you are correct with Relentless. They may move and fire. The new rules are confusing a lot of people during this change-over period.

I also recomend The Warstore, just follow the link in the above post. But there is also this for shield drones:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...ameStyle=wh40k

Glad you are enjoying fighting for the Greater Good. ;D

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 21:51   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help guys I noticed those Shield drone boxed sets, only problem is it's $6 to get the parts for 4 drones, and that's also me needing 4 additional gun drones. Assuming I get a gun drone from thewarstore.com, it's putting 4 shield drones at $14 for 4 shield drones.

Ouch I'm trying to run with a tactic a veteran Tau player recommended to me yesterday, and that's 6 model stealth squads, all with drone controllers and 2 shield drones a piece. Point wise I'm fine, but yuck at $42 for the 12 drones I'll need. Was hoping there might be something cheaper, but I guess all else fails this will work

Thanks again! I'm going to buy me a whole bunch of carbines and the skyray sprue at minimum
Old 27 Jul 2008, 22:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, you probably don't need, and shouldn't get, just gun drones. Pretty much anything Tau comes with a boatload of Drones. So as you buy more FWs, Devilfish, suits, ect. just horde those drones and then buy the upgrade pack.

Also, if you have extra shield generators from Crisis Suits; then just use those to convert some extra drones aswell.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

also in 5th shield drones arnt that good... normal gun drones are cheaper and do the same basic thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
also in 5th shield drones arnt that good... normal gun drones are cheaper and do the same basic thing
A significant number of the players at my shop go for "cheesy" armies, and thus have entire armies with nothing but low AP guns or power weapons, or monstrous creatures. The invulnerable saves will help the team stay alive just that much longer to wittle them down
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
A significant number of the players at my shop go for "cheesy" armies, and thus have entire armies with nothing but low AP guns or power weapons, or monstrous creatures. The invulnerable saves will help the team stay alive just that much longer to wittle them down
With Fifth's prodigious amiunt of cover saves, a gun drone is practically as good as an invulnerable. If you get charged...Well it won't matter that much anyways.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2008, 02:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

also the invonerable save is olny for the drone, so in 5th they are just spare wounds... in 4th it was cool because you could roll for saves before deciding what died... but in 5th the gun drone is still a spare wound, but it shoots back ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote