Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking to start an army with a certain theme
Old 27 Jul 2008, 06:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Looking to start an army with a certain theme

I am thinking of creating an army with an Expeditionary theme which would consist of lots of scouting units and no fixed battle line. What do you think would fit in well with this idea?
Old 27 Jul 2008, 09:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Looking to start an army with a certain theme

Hmm...Kroot sound good. Stealths and pathfinders are rather obvious, piranhas too. You might not want to take too many railguns, either...maybe at the most one hammerhead and fill another slot up with sniper drone teams. And of course your mandatory battlesuit commander and fire warrior squad. Seems like a decent scouting force to me.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 13:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I'd think something along the lines of Kroot, Pathfinders, Stealth Suits and fire warriors in devilfish would be good. Some gun drone squadrons would also look nice as well. Piranhas for vehicles would work great. Load the vehicles up with seekers since there's not really much room for heavy support in an expeditionary force. However, if you were looking for heavy support the most fitting heavy support would be a skyray.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 13:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Pathfinder, stealth, kroots (with hounds) are pretty much a must for this army.

Your mandatory fire warrior should indeed be imounted in a devilfish for the mobility aspect of it, maybe 1 squad of deathrain crisis suit just in case of trouble.

as an Expeditionary force I would see their Fast attacks slots all full, so with their pathfinder (1 or 2 sqauds) I would see either gun drones or maybe vespids for the loook of it. If you are playing with firends you could also invest later into some FW knarloc riders.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 13:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Perhaps an Ethereal to lead the expedition, while the 1+ Commander could possibly be Shadowsun (she does, after all, have a stealth field) or a 'count-as' Shadowsun.

Stealth teams for elites.

One or two Fire Warrior teams (preferably in Devilfish), but definitely Kroot (without a Krootox, but Hounds would work) for troops.

So much to choose from for fast attack; Pathfinders are a must, & Pirahnas could go in too, but Remoras & Tetras would be great choices, as they're both 'recon' units.

Heavy support would probably be Sniper Drone Teams, if anything.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 13:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

The only down side of Remora and tetras is that like the knarloc riders they are Forge World models thus requiring the Imperial Armour 3 book and the conscent of your opponent (and not every tournement allow them)...so a bit more expensive investment.

That been said they would indeed be a great addition to an Expeditionary force.

If he decides that this investment is worth it, then heavy gun drones could also be another good addition.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 14:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

Actually the rules for the Remora can be downloaded on the website for free. But you do have a point, as Imperial Armour 3 just so happens to be the most expensive one.

EDIT: Or at least it used to be, they appear to have taken the Remora rules off of their site...
Old 27 Jul 2008, 19:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Remoras can be found in Imperial Armor Apocalypse. Unfortunately, the whole book is filled with crazy problems - like, for instance, the Remora is said to have three structure points. Sure, they FAQed it, but it's still annoying.

On top of that, they're flyers, so that gets to be pretty crazy when using them in normal 40K. Unfortunate, because they could be really useful in a 'normal' game.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2008, 19:33   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys. I am liking the Stealth suits, kroot and Pathfinders but want to steer away from Crisis by just using the Commander and two bodyguards. I want to do this because everyone with Tau around my area uses three full elite choices of Tau.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 05:46   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott
Remoras can be found in Imperial Armor Apocalypse. Unfortunately, the whole book is filled with crazy problems - like, for instance, the Remora is said to have three structure points. Sure, they FAQed it, but it's still annoying.

On top of that, they're flyers, so that gets to be pretty crazy when using them in normal 40K. Unfortunate, because they could be really useful in a 'normal' game.
Do you ever think we will get to see Remora's in regular 40k? I love the look of them,... they remind me of those flyer things in Terminator 2 (during the opening scenes... the flying gunships the robots have). I love when armies have a variety of units and the differnet units compliment each other. Remora's soaring over squads of Fire Warriors, laying down cover fire, would just look bad ass.

What battlefield niche do they fill with their current stats? Like, if Tau got them in 40k as they are, what would they be good for?