Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau are Fantastic!
Old 26 Jul 2008, 05:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau are Fantastic!

I just got into 40k about 3 months ago, bought a 2000+ point army from a desperate acquaintance for about $50, with basically everything except kroot, a skyray, sniper drones, and piranhas. I have since acquired everything except the piranhas---and I have to say, I love it.

I lost my first few games, simply because of inexperience, but in the last month or so I've become almost unbeatable. Tau's mobility and ridiculous ranged firepower (I'm regularly disgusted by my allies' lack of comparatively decent shooting units). I'm the only tau player I know with more then 800 points(it seems that everyone plays either imperial guard/orks/SM's/Eldar) and I rarely encounter an enemy who seems to have any clue about what my army's weaknesses are. I have no shit seen a Blood Angel player not assualt a crisis suit team with a half-strength Assault Squad out of fear of what might happen to him in CC after having the rest of his army melted in the first two turns. (I told him after the game what my army's average WS is)

It just seems ridiculously easy to blast open one my opponent's flanks, and then play merry Hell in his backfield with battlesuits and skimmers while he throws his entire assaulting army at my static FW force (I usually like to keep a squad or two immobile and looking like a juicy target for assualts Kau'yon for the win) and then has to chase 12" moving targets around the board until his army finally bleeds out.

Does anyone else feel this way? I can't get over this sense of invincibility when playing as tau(I have proxy general'ed a few friends armies and none of them seemed as powerful).
Old 26 Jul 2008, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Tau are Fantastic!

Not always. In one game my brother sent a squad of raptors into combat with a three-man crisis team, and I not only managed to kill one in combat, but I made him fall back and shot that squad to oblivion the next turn. :P

You have to have luck on your side, but it's pretty damn funny when it happens.

Anyway, I'd care to wager that it must be the players in your area or something, because Tau certainly aren't unbeatable.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 11:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Not always. In one game my brother sent a squad of raptors into combat with a three-man crisis team, and I not only managed to kill one in combat, but I made him fall back and shot that squad to oblivion the next turn. :P

You have to have luck on your side, but it's pretty damn funny when it happens.

Anyway, I'd care to wager that it must be the players in your area or something, because Tau certainly aren't unbeatable.
Oh its pretty damn funny when luck is on their side in CC, except when your the guy trying to kill them. *Walks off mumbling about the time his maxed out 3rd ed hive tyrant failed to kill 1 fire warrior on a charge and they manage kill him in one round from full wounds*
Ryko Nailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 12:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or my Broadside getting outgunned by a Shootifex. :

It's totally random events like this that makes the game fun after all.

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 12:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I've been outgunned by SoB... yet won all the assaults against them >_<

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 13:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

My broadsides defended themselves from a biker sgt. with a power weapon and two regular bikers then killed one in return. The marines failed their moral check and were swept up by my I2 broadsides! But seriously our suits are relatively resilient in CC. T4 in many cases with 3+ or 2+ saves and stealths going first in most first rounds of combat is really nothing to sneeze at.
bcn5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 14:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Glad to hear about your enthusiasm for the Greater Good Saracen. Looks like you've been doing a good job of punishing those that wish to deny themselves the true path.

However, get ready, for one day will come when you see your entire army (or a very large chunk of it) get brutally mauled - most likely in assaults. That's not to say that there aren't armies out there that can out-shoot us, Eldar & to a lesser extent SM can give you a good run when they bring out their heavy firepower, but our biggest weakness is the assault phase. Our suits can be resilient as bcn5021 pointed out, just beware of anything wielding power weapons & of course the dreaded power fists.

Welcome to the fun that is 40k, and may your luck continue!

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 15:59   #8 (permalink)
lonely tau

Ah, Tau!

I love my Tau, so much fun to play with ^_^

I use a near fully mechanized force, occasionally tossing in a duo of broadsides in exchange for one of my Hammerheads. I also like to throw in 6 XV15s nowadays at the GWs because so many people don't actually know what they are! So they sit all nice and near the enemy lines, and it makes them all paranoid :P

In my experiences it isn't really luck that wins me the game, but strategy. If my opponent makes even the slightest tactical error, or he does something less powerfully than I expected him to do it, whatever unit is in range dies. Usually they end up talking about how overpowered the Tau are instead of realizing "hey, I shouldn't have sent out an unsupported Hellhound!" :P
Old 26 Jul 2008, 17:18   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well, I find the tau fun to play if you want to disrupt, divide and destroy since the new codex gives us quite a number of benefits that makes the tau rather attractive to take in the 5th edition.

So far my list is a rather nasty thing to face on the battlefield as they are able to go about and mess people's plans up. Markerlights, JSJ, Railguns with submunitions, FoF are but some of the few things that you can do to make them have a hard time fighting. To be honest with you I play my battles not to win, but yet not to lose as well. And the tau among all my armies are the best for that particular job.

And to add to the fact that a lot of people tend to either underestimate or over estimate the Tau, and I will play my Tau accordingly to the situation. But I do get some tough battles that requires me to be a little more cautious than usual, and enable me to enjoy the tactical side of 40k a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2008, 18:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
I also like to throw in 6 XV15s nowadays at the GWs because so many people don't actually know what they are! So they sit all nice and near the enemy lines, and it makes them all paranoid :P
Just as an aside, I miscalculated in a battle against Eldar two days ago, and jumped a 6 man stealth team into a position where they couldn't shoot at a ranger team that was maybe 6" away. The next turn, he rolled to see them, and his ranger's max range was 4". I felt bad for laughing at the poor guy, but I couldn't help it, that was just so awesome.