Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's More Effective?
Old 24 Jul 2008, 18:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default What's More Effective?

So I'm stuck on what configuration I should give to my Crisis Suit teams.

On one hand, I was thinking of having a Deathrain team and a Burning Eye team. As for their upgrades, I was thinking of giving them a Targeting Array to boost that BS.

But then I realized that TL is good for making sure shots hit, yet if I have a TA then should I bother having twin-linked weapons and instead go for a Fireknife with a TA? I mean, with Fireknife I can cover a long range and short range distance, and with the TA I'll be sure to hit more often than not.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: What's More Effective?

fireknife for the win!
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
fireknife for the win!
:sadnshocked:

I'm dissapointed in you... Deathrain forever! (for the elite choices anyways)

Also did you mean the old fireknife or the new one?

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If I was going to have fire knife suits with a targetting array what I would do is just run them as individual crisis suit "monat" teams. I would do this because I would still want them to have the multi-trackers so that they could fire both weapons. I only take targetting arrays with twinlinked weapon systems.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Webster.com: Crisis

Main Entry: cri·sis
Pronunciation: \?kr?-s?s\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural cri·ses \?kr?-?s?z\
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin, from Greek krisis, literally, decision, from krinein to decide — more at certain
Date: 15th century

1 a: the turning point for better or worse in an acute disease or fever b: a paroxysmal attack of pain, distress, or disordered function c: an emotionally significant event or radical change of status in a person's life <a midlife crisis>

2: the decisive moment (as in a literary plot)

3 a: an unstable or crucial time or state of affairs in which a decisive change is impending; especially : one with the distinct possibility of a highly undesirable outcome <a financial crisis> b: a situation that has reached a critical phase <the environmental crisis>

In my book, crisis suits fills in the spot where the rest of the army cannot - a crisis may develop because the army lacks equipment to deal with that particular threat. In steps the crisis suits with the weapon load that can cover that contingency. This is why my suits generally carry AP2 weapons because my army lacks those.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
Webster.com: Crisis

Main Entry: cri·sis
Pronunciation: \?kr?-s?s\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural cri·ses \?kr?-?s?z\
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin, from Greek krisis, literally, decision, from krinein to decide — more at certain
Date: 15th century

1 a: the turning point for better or worse in an acute disease or fever b: a paroxysmal attack of pain, distress, or disordered function c: an emotionally significant event or radical change of status in a person's life <a midlife crisis>

2: the decisive moment (as in a literary plot)

3 a: an unstable or crucial time or state of affairs in which a decisive change is impending; especially : one with the distinct possibility of a highly undesirable outcome <a financial crisis> b: a situation that has reached a critical phase <the environmental crisis>

In my book, crisis suits fills in the spot where the rest of the army cannot - a crisis may develop because the army lacks equipment to deal with that particular threat. In steps the crisis suits with the weapon load that can cover that contingency. This is why my suits generally carry AP2 weapons because my army lacks those.
I enjoy low ap weapons as well, mine are more in the Plasma rifle + Fusion variety though. I'm playing around with the balance of my suits still (they're not all actually deathrains). Fifth messed up my calculations though, so I'll have to start again.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 20:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually, me too.

the suits that I deploy as either Plasma, Fusion, and one in a while special issue gear and msl pods.

But that's because i run an Ionhead and kroot ox. Without them, I'd probably run more msl pods.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:17   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroth
So I'm stuck on what configuration I should give to my Crisis Suit teams.

On one hand, I was thinking of having a Deathrain team and a Burning Eye team. As for their upgrades, I was thinking of giving them a Targeting Array to boost that BS.

But then I realized that TL is good for making sure shots hit, yet if I have a TA then should I bother having twin-linked weapons and instead go for a Fireknife with a TA? I mean, with Fireknife I can cover a long range and short range distance, and with the TA I'll be sure to hit more often than not.
There is no such thing as 'the best' load out. That's why there are so many weapons/wargear options for them. Running against MEQ's? Bring your Fireknives, Burning Eye & Helios suits. Running against GEQ's? Bring your Deathrains, Bladestorms - maybe Fireknives as well. Then, as far as wargear, if you're TL'ing a weapon, take the TA, or if you expect to see lots of heavy weaponry your way (as in the case of most Helios suits) take the SG. If you have 2 separate weapons, bring the MT.

~Sunscreem

But essentially, what the Tau do is no different - its just a bit more benign. They take over the planet - you have a choice, you join them - Hoorah, tea and drones all round. - GoneFishing
Sunscreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2008, 22:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

In my opinion, you could never do wrong with a couple Fireknives as your HQ, and a healthy spamming of Deathrain/Helios (FB+PR+MT) in your Elites. There are other really good configs as well, but the combination of these three is, IMO, the most well-rounded and powerful setup you can put on your Crisis suits without tailoring your list. Everything else in an all-comer situation can be taken care of by pulse fire and railguns from the rest of your army.

*Note that this opinion is carried over from 4th ed., and so may be subject to change at any time.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2008, 06:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

My general rule of thumb is if the suit is to have more than one weapon, targeting array. If just a single weapon, TL. In the case of a deathrain or burning eye, both.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote