Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Army Lists: Numbers VS Omni Suits
Closed Thread
Old 03 May 2005, 12:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to WAS A CORPSE
Default Army Lists: Numbers VS Omni Suits

Okay, I've just started Tau and I have been proftted with various insane army lists. The least suicidal two are a) Ooodles of firewarriors that line up exicution style, rip the enemy to pieces and in turn get ripped apart in combat or b) lots of Crisis HQ's, bodyguards, crisis suits, broadsides and minimal troops etc. Each team given Omi purpose weapons (blaster (forgot its name)r, twin linked plasma and multi tracker). The only problem is one gets maimed by combat and tough armour and the other by pure force of numbers. Any suggestions for the perfect all-around army???

Visit Us At: http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?WAS%20A%20CORPSE
Old 03 May 2005, 12:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Army Lists: Numbers VS Omni Suits

So far, the best kind of tau army list is normally Mech Tau, which can be found here- http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/%7Eleebj/index.html , or just find dizzy gamer and click on his link. This site gives you all of the info you need to become a succesful mech tau player.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 03 May 2005, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea. Mech Tau is what I use (although I am really heavy on the Drones). Pretty much go with the FOF and you will win majority of games.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 03 May 2005, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I can only do so much being Half Mortal :, but if you tell me a points value I can get close ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 03 May 2005, 20:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

There are no "perfect" armies, persay, but there are some that defenitely stand out. It's mostly how you play each army that makes a big difference in winning games (I'm assuming you want to win), and one of the best armies in this sense is mech tau. Of course, learn how to use it before running up to someone and expecting to win. Read guide to mech tau!
Old 03 May 2005, 21:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAS A CORPSE
Okay, I've just started Tau and I have been proftted with various insane army lists. The least suicidal two are a) Ooodles of firewarriors that line up exicution style, rip the enemy to pieces and in turn get ripped apart in combat or b) lots of Crisis HQ's, bodyguards, crisis suits, broadsides and minimal troops etc. Each team given Omi purpose weapons (blaster (forgot its name)r, twin linked plasma and multi tracker). The only problem is one gets maimed by combat and tough armour and the other by pure force of numbers. Any suggestions for the perfect all-around army???
Corpse... a perfect all-around army carries no direction in terms of heavy use of any one thing in the list and is built to be an all-comer list. As such, I would invite you to take some time to check out what it means to play a Hybrid Tau army, which takes the broadest use of the Tau codex in terms of units and models. With it, you use all the tactics involved in static armies and mobilized armies without sacrificing things to gain either. Another quick way to get an idea of well-rounded, all-comer balanced lists, is to take a few minutes to look over our Sample Army Lists we have here and specifically, the Hybrid Sample Lists. From these, you could take inspiration with what kind of army you may want to build in the future, or with your models you have now to create that all-around balanced good army.
Old 03 May 2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88

also, i would say that no matter what you don't want to go all-infantry or ESPECIALLY not all crisis. not only would that army probably not work well, but you would be labeled either a noob or a powergamer. 40k is all about combined arms. not all troops. not all heavy support. etc.
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 03 May 2005, 22:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Corpse, check out the forum, read some threads and get a jist of Tau first. The all infantry force just won't work. You set your self up for Assaults too easily, which we all know Tau are bad in.

The Crisis heavy army was an inspiration to me once, especially when I saw that such a list placed 1st and one of the UK tourneys (I can't remember which one) but it is hard to use and you would need to be pretty damn good to use it effectively IMO, so again not a great choice.

Ideally, get a balance; A Commander or 2, some Stealths, a Crisis team, some Fire Caste Warriors on foot and in Devilfish Troop Carriers, some Kroot, a Drone unit if you want, a couple of Hammerheads and a Broadside team. Although expensive this would give you a huge range of options and once you have used it for a while, you may decide to stick with it or your play style with Tau may have develoepd and you wish to alter your army.
Old 04 May 2005, 00:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to WAS A CORPSE

Okay, maybe i exaggerated when i said Ooodles. but in a 750 point game (i'm aiming low for now) you can fit in at least 40 odd firewarriors with HQ (I was recommended an ethrial), big guys and maybe an extra like stealth suits.

Overall I thiiink i have a good idea of how to use tau but i just can't decide how to base my army.

Visit Us At: http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?WAS%20A%20CORPSE
Old 04 May 2005, 01:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Shas'El
Fireknife
85pts

4 Stealths
120pts

12 FW
-Shas'ui
-Devilfish
-DL
205pts

15 Kroot
105pts

HH
-Railgun
-BC
-MT
-DL
165pts

BS
-MT
75pts

755pts

thats about the best balance you'll get IMO, has all the neccecary parts, and some nce wingdings to go with it, for a more crisis flavour the Stealths do a change into 2 57pt Deathrain Monats.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread