Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV8 is it worth it?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default XV8 is it worth it?

Just played my first 5th Ed game and my crisis didn't do anything. I had great deployment and didn't leave them in the open but they got crushed and only killed a few guardsmen. This is the first time I've used crisis suits where they all died. This has never happened to me in 3rd or 4th.

The real heros of the game would be the fire warriors, my broadsides and my ion head. They did most of the work.

I lost the game, which I'm not used to, and I'd have to say the reason why would be that I didn't have enough infantry. I took two squads of fire warriors and two squads of kroot. Everything in my army performed well except my crisis. Would it be a good idea to drop them completely? Save my HQ of coarse.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: XV8 is it worth it?

I do not use cirsis suits really excpet in large games. For me they die and i do not tned to find them worth it but that is with all of the fast assulty armies i play aginst. It depends what you have the most fun with.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I guess I just need to get used to the new rules maybe. I hardly ever lose a crisis suit and now they're melting like butter. They seem like such a point sink.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Well I guess the questions that should be asked are: What kind of IG army was your opponent using, how much cover was on the board, what weapons layout were you using on your Crisis. Generally speaking my Crisis have done very well for me in the past. In the end it comes down to the person using them and of course the will of the dice gods. I wouldn't consider dropping them at the first sign of trouble. They are our special weapons squads and can take on things that would either be a waste of quality shots or have to pour so many into that it doesn't make sense to bother.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Crisis not worth it? Heresy!

Seriously, htough.
The first thing that should make a negative difference in the new rules for these guys is the new terrain/cover rules might make it harder to JSJ safely. And, really, games should be played with larger pieces of cover now, enough to hide at least a couple of tanks.

Due to the new wound allotment system, shield drones aren't quite as amazing as they were. However, they'll still take care of most incoming Lascannon/Melta shots. What you've really gotta be careful of is high strength low AP blasts, such as from Battlecannons. No matter what, keep out of sight of the deadly things.

Even so, I've done well so far with my crisis suits in 5th edition.

What setup did you use for your suits?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboy_geoff
What setup did you use for your suits?
And what killed them and how?
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I tend to field Crisis/Fire Warrior heavy armies. Most of my games are around 2000 points. Never really had a problem, though I haven't been able to play 5th edition yet. Been working too much.

I don't think they'll be a waste. No way would I write them off just yet, they'll take some getting used to with the new rules. Every player, regardless of what army they use, will find that some of their units will function nearly the same while others will play drastically different.

So don't lose hope for your XV8s just yet.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 18:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In my opinion youre pretty much stuck with Crisis Suits... because they are the chassis that hold all of your special/heavy weapons!! If you forego the Crisis, and go troops, well, than all youll have are troop guns, and we all know that Tau do not get special/heavy weapons options in their troops choice [Kroot Gun really does not count].

Its not like marines, where they can put anti armor/ anti 2+ save weapons within all of their troop choices, Tau have to diversify their units to get their whole package of death-dealery [wow thats like the 3rd made-up word Ive used today!].
Old 22 Jul 2008, 18:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

agreed.

No way to deal squadron of light vehicles or teams of terminators without XV8s.

fast and heavy choices that we have for those purposes dont output high enough rate of fire to compete.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 18:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Y'know, In a situation like this normally I'd ask whether or not you're crazy. You seem crazy. I mean, are crisis suits worth it? Of course they're worth it. But really it actually depends on who you're playing against. Crisis suits are good at dealing with light and medium vehicles and they're also good at dealing with peoples elites. However, if you're going up against certain armies they lose a lot of their utility. Say if you're going up against a lot of devestator squads, they're pretty worthless. Devestators in cover have more wounds total as a squadd than your crisis suits do, and considering that most devestators will have at least 1 or 2 weapons in them that cause instant death on suits then the wounds dont matter anyway. So yeah, there are situations where crisis suits are the wrong choice. So no... you're not crazy. hehe...
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote