Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...
Reply
Old 16 Jul 2008, 10:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Default Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

Hiya again, as some of you may know, I'm getting back into 40k and going with Tau and am probably going to start buying everything I need fairly soon (hopefully >_> I might have to buy a couple other things first...) and was just wondering about the piranhas.

I noticed a bit of discussion about them being used to ram if there really isnt anything else to do with them (btw does ramming destroy the vehicle if its agaisnt a heavy unit? Sorry its been a long time since I played...) and the outcome was that they cant. So I was just thinking if there really worth having?

Alot of people say that they dont bother using them, but a couple have almost sworn by them to win a match, the latter probably have a much better idea on how to use them but still...

So yeah, what are your opinions? I'm expecting alot of people to say dont use them, but if some of you DO use them, could you please say the benefits of them?

Thx everyone.
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 10:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,750
Default Re: Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

The Piranha tactica by Israfel
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 10:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhereshire
Posts: 6,214
Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

Piranhas make awesome flanking tank hunters, easily able to get either themselves or seekers into some juicy side/rear armour shots by turn 2.

They cannot ram, as Ram is a type of Tank Shock, which only Tanks can do.

They're also excellent for contesting objectives in the later stages of a game. Most people who use them will run either a single suicide seeker piranha, or a two skimmer team, usually both with Fusion Blasters. The occasions when a burst cannon is better a fusion blaster that close to enemy armour can be counted on one hand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
"Drop the shovel, and stand back from the keyboard!"


We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 11:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Default Re: Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korill
Thx very much for the link, I'm reading it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Piranhas make awesome flanking tank hunters, easily able to get either themselves or seekers into some juicy side/rear armour shots by turn 2.

They cannot ram, as Ram is a type of Tank Shock, which only Tanks can do.

They're also excellent for contesting objectives in the later stages of a game. Most people who use them will run either a single suicide seeker piranha, or a two skimmer team, usually both with Fusion Blasters. The occasions when a burst cannon is better a fusion blaster that close to enemy armour can be counted on one hand.
Sorry, but like I said (or I might've forgot to say that in this thread :P) is that I'm new to 40k, well its been a long time anyway, so could you please explain "flanking".

And what exactly do you mean by a suicide piranha? Like rush in and draw attention as a distraction to keep them away from other units?

Thx for posting
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 11:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhereshire
Posts: 6,214
Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

By flanking I mean the simple military action of moving up one side of your opponents line.

So you either deploy the Piranha on the far left or far right edge of your deployment zone, then run it forwards. It either draws some anti-tank fire, or gets ignored, and then our now ubiquitous Pathfinders use their markerlights to give the seekers on it a target.

Or, if it has no seekers, it waits until turn 2, then starts taking potshots at side and rear armour on enemy tanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
"Drop the shovel, and stand back from the keyboard!"


We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 11:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 120
Default Re: Piranhas, to use them, or not to use them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
By flanking I mean the simple military action of moving up one side of your opponents line.

So you either deploy the Piranha on the far left or far right edge of your deployment zone, then run it forwards. It either draws some anti-tank fire, or gets ignored, and then our now ubiquitous Pathfinders use their markerlights to give the seekers on it a target.

Or, if it has no seekers, it waits until turn 2, then starts taking potshots at side and rear armour on enemy tanks.
Sweet thx man, I just finished reading the Piranha guide that Korill gave me, and its really good. I never would've expected Piranhas to be so effective at so many things (unless he overexaggerated :P). I like the idea of 2 Piranhas with fusion blasters taking out bigger units and keeping the enemy off your HH .

I also like the other way with 2-3 of them just taking down a bunch of infantry coupled with FW perhaps and then send the other heavier guys out for the bigger enemys.

Thx for replying :P

I might have to get 1 or 2 Piranhas now
Dtram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Piranhas in 5th ??? Rogal Dorn 1 Tau 17 03 Aug 2008 01:29
Piranhas in 5th. slo_tau Tau 9 25 May 2008 19:21
Piranhas? Why not? XV18 Tau 75 13 Apr 2007 04:54
Should I use 5 Piranhas? Chris2287 Tau 10 16 Apr 2006 20:33
Tau Piranhas Ultima Weapon Games Workshop News and Rumours 3 15 Jan 2006 00:35