Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau....
Old 08 Jul 2008, 04:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default First game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau....

So I just finished my first game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau. And frankly, I was impressed. It wasn't really an ideal game. But it actually brought up some really interesting scenarios and situations. It was an 1800 point game and I tried to take as many different options in my tau army as I could fit in. My list was like this...

HQ
Fireknife Shas 'el + Positional Relay
Fireknife crisis bodyguard + targetting array

Elites
3 stealth suits (1 w/ fusion blaster)
2 Deathrain crisis suits
3 Sunforge crisis suits (1 teamleader with HW target lock and bonding knife)

Troops
2 x 10 fire warriors
2 x 10 kroot

Heavy support
2 broadsides w/ A.S.S.
Railhead (+Disruption pod, SMS, Target Lock, Flachette discharger, Mult-tracker)
Skyray (+Disruption pod, Targetting Array, Flachette discharger, Multi-tracker, target lock)

Fast attack
8 Pathfinders
Devilfish (+Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pods)
4 Pathfinders (3 w/ Rail Rifles)
Devilfish (+Decoy Launchers, Disruption Pods)

I dont know exactly the army they had though. It was a combo of Eldar and Chaos space marines oddly enough. Here's what I remember...

Eldar
2 Eldar wave serpants carrying two (twin linked?) Bright Lances
1 Eldar Autarch on jet bike(plus upgrades of some sort)
2 squads of jetbikes (with quite a few weapons uprgrades)
2 War Walkers (with Star Cannon and Scatter Laser)

Chaos
Chaos sorcerer in Terminator armor (with some kinda crazy upgrades)
3 Chaos Terminators
2 squads of chaos marines with mark of nurgle

Now the people I was playing against seemed to go all out giving their guys upgrades. They were allowed 900 points each to match my 1800. They threw very few guys on the table for as many points as they had. In any case, the game was very interesting. It's only lasted 3 turns but it was informative.

I wont go through a battle report but I'd like to comment on some of the more interesting points.

1) Skyrays are more viable: I took the Skyray just to experiment with it and honestly it does some serious damage to people who run light vehicles, skimmers (especially fast skimmers) and jetbikes. With seekers now being able to penetrate skimmers and with pathfinders removing cover saves on jetbikes, seekers can reach out and hit people with little chance to retaliate.

2) Disruption pods are king! I have to say it's the best vehicle upgrade you can get for 5 points. It saved almost all of my vehicles from penetrating hits at one point or another.

3) Drop the decoy launchers. Decoy launchers are only usefull in such a narrow circumstance that they're not even worth the 5 points anymore. Spend the points on something else.

4)Pathfinder Rail Rifles are better than before. Like all long range heavy weapons, you will now have more targets than before. Find a nice high piece of terrain to put them on and you're set. I didn't kill a lot but I managed to keep units pinned consistently the whole game.

5) 2 units of Pathfinders can be worth it. I used my pathfinders with marker lights to support my pathfinders with rail rifles and managed to keep units pinned consistently.

6) The new "True Line of sight" rules are our friend. If you're playing at a game store with terrain that is a decent size you wont have trouble finding places to get out of line of sight. The abundance of cover saves add much need protection to the Tau in the form of cover saves. Also, it's easier to find targets now.

7) Outflanking: My opponents allowed me to take advantage of almost all the special deployment rules. The Outflank deployment for Scouts and Infiltrators is amazing. Bringing in units anywhere along a certain table edge will be key for games involving table quarters.

8) Deepstriking IS better than ever: You can use the positional relay to bring your guys in on a 2+ and a Pathfinder devilfish with line of sight to allow a reroll. My sunforge suits landed right where I wanted, when I wanted and started frying chaos marines.

9) Hammerhead railgun is still no joke. It's actually a little better considering that on a penetrating hit you now have a 33% chance of making a vehicle explode! (50% chance against opentopped vehicles!) I actually blew up BOTH of his Wave Serpents. In 4th ed. the odds of getting a vehicle explodes result against Eldar Grav tanks were miniscule at best. Now Eldar actually have to be carefull where they put their tanks at the end of their turn.

10) Consolidation. Not being able to consolidate into close combat is probably the best thing to happen to Tau in 5th ed. You can no longer get swept away in an advance by one unit. Careless assaults leave your enemy naked and in the open and a prime target. Take advantage.

If you have any questions or would like any details please respond. I had a lot of fun. The new rules are all tweaks on familiar concepts so there shouldn't be much confusion going into 5th ed. The new rules are definitely a step in the right direction for the game in general and for the Tau. I hope this info is at all helpful/interesting to all of you.

and sorry for being so long winded... ;D

+1 for an edifying review of 5th ed. RZ
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 04:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: First game of Warhammer 5th Ed. with Tau....

Nothing like actual field testing to get morale going after all the prerelease doom and gloom!

Though for your FW's, did you pick carbines or rifles?

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Nothing like actual field testing to get morale going after all the prerelease doom and gloom!

Though for your FW's, did you pick carbines or rifles?
I picked Pulse Rifles. They're still the weapon of choice in my opinion. With the new line of sight rules I found them usefull because of all the targets that I found in my range.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 11:48   #4 (permalink)
ndj
Kroot Shaper

I'll also be using the Positional Relay on my first 5th Ed game.
Please could you detail what units started on the board and how the Positional Relay helped ?
ndj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndj
I'll also be using the Positional Relay on my first 5th Ed game.
Please could you detail what units started on the board and how the Positional Relay helped ?
Gladly! I actually left a lot of units off the table at the start of the game. Both Squads of kroot, My Stealth Suit Squad and my Sunforge Crisis suits. We only went to the 3rd turn so not all of my reserves came out before the game was over. But I did manage to bring out all but the stealth suits.

The positional relay helped because I brought down my sunforge crisis suits in the second turn on a 2+ with the positional relay. It allows you to bring in a specific unit held in reserve on a 2+ in a given turn. This means that if you've only got 2 units in reserve you could bring 1 unit in on a 2+ in the second turn and in the 3rd turn you could bring the other in on a 2+ instead of the normal reserve rules. It's pretty sweet. It basically guarantees that your deepstrikers, infiltrators and scouts will come in as soon as possible. It's really nice.

Also, the added benefit of using the reserve rules for a Tau player is that there's less for the enemy to shoot at in the beginning of the game. Which also makes it easier for you to place your units on the table and find good hiding places. Similarly, it gives you less forces to deploy at the beginning of the game. This means you'll be better able to place your units in response to your opponent placing his own.

There's tons of advantages to using the new reserve rules.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 16:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Were the troops enough for grabbing objectives? And is it advisable to bring more troophunters over anti-tank?

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 17:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

We played a standard game of Annhialation, or whatever it is where you just try and wipe out the enemy. We did take table quarters into account as well. My opponent didn't take too much in the way of basic troops so it really wasn't terribly problematic to keep control of the table.

Bringing the Kroot in from reserve was helpfull because There wasn't much they could do about it at that point in the game. So keeping kroot in reserve until later in the game is going to be handy because you'll be able to keep them from being destroyed early by not having them on the table in the opening turns.

I lost 1 squad of fire warriors , which was annoying, but all in all my troops held up. Bringing anything to kill more and more troops is a must pretty much. Especially if you're going against marines. Marines are tough as nails and now with troops counting as scoring until you completely wipe them out it's more important than ever to bring enough shooting to wipe out Marine Squads.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've been hearing that marker lights are pretty much invaluable in the 5th edition. I was wondering if you considered giving your Firewarrior squads a markerlight squad leader?

Also did you find keeping your units in reserve more valuable than infiltrating them off earlier?

Also I imagine you didn't see how the new blast rule was working out considering the lack of troops on the board.

I'm still new to the tactics so maybe I missing something fundemental.
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Marker lights are absolutely invaluable. You pretty much need them. Not that you'll neccessarily lose if you go without them, it's just that the Tau aren't nearly as much of a threat if you dont take them. All the special abilities that they get, especially removing cover saves and increasing Ballistic Skill, are handy. I also even got some use out of removing leadership for pinning. I really enjoyed removing the cover saves of turbo boosting bikers and then hitting them with AP2 and 3 weapons. Turbo boosting is no longer the threat it used to be.

I never give marker lights to fire warrior squads. You end up giving them a marker light and a target lock and then the squad firing cant even benefit from the hit. Also, it's a heavy weapon and I like to keep my firewarriors moving. Not that it couldn't work. But that's just how I play.

I found keeping them in reserve MUCH more usefull than infiltrating at the beginning of the game. You dont have to worry about the distance from the enemy, the maneuverability is priceless and the protection provided by not being on the table is invaluable as well.

Also, I DID see how the new blast template rules work. It worked pretty much as predicted by some of the players who have all the ridiculous mathematical skills. 50% of the time you'll hit exactly what you want and the rest of the time you'll scatter and hit at least something.

I actually managed to kill 2 terminators and a couple of chaos marines with mark of nurgle with the blast template. It was nice. The best part of the new blast rules is that there are no more partials. This means you'll be hitting a great deal more soldiers than ever. Especially if your opponent has a habit of bunching guys together like mine did.

I dont think you're missing anything fundamental. A lot of people are missing the details and subtleties that can really grant huge advantages. I think that when everyone gets in their first few games of 40k then they'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 18:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I need to get on those pathfinders you suggested then ;]

I appreciate all the input ;]
Texibus is offline   Reply With Quote